The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/16 - 05/18 - Friday Harbor 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone attending Friday Harbor - I'll be sending burgees and patches along for purchase.

I also have one rail mount flag pole - $20, still new in the package. Bought one more than I needed.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/adjustable-flag-pole-rail-mount.html

Have fun, everyone - unfortunately, I'm gonna miss it again.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Will there be any time to fish? Can I buy a fishing license at Friday Harbor? Any recommendations for poles, line, bait? I'm a inland fisherman so I pretty much have no clue.

As Redbaronce alluded to, Ling Cod fishing is going on that time of year. Best person to get in touch with is StarCraft Tom. I think he has taken more people on his boat to show them how to fish the local fisheries than any C-Brat around. He certainly showed me the ropes for both salmon and lingcod. We had fun last year fishing the San Juans. King Marine (above the supermarket) probably sells fishing licenses.

I haven't checked on the shrimping seasons but that usually is going on around that time too. It just takes lots of gear.

Tom, I'm waiting for your response any time now. You Da Man! Thumbs Up

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fun to be out with several other c-brats boats fishing for lings, at least for a few hours of the time each day.
Aquavit

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aquavit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a winter in the desert, Joan and I are looking forward to salty sea air and reconnecting with C-Brats.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter. Below are the dates for halibut, ling cod and shrimp. All of which will be open at the time of the gathering. I will post a how to for ling cod later.

PACIFIC HALIBUT** May 9-June 7, 2014 May 9-May 10: Open Friday and Saturday ONLY. May 17: Saturday ONLY. May
22-May 25: Thursday through Sunday ONLY. May 29-May-31: Thursday through
Saturday ONLY. June 7: Saturday ONLY. No min. size. Daily limit 1.

LINGCOD May 1-June 15
May 21-June 15
Hook and line season. Min. size 26". Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.
Spearfishing season. Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.

shrimp-MARINE AREAS 7 EAST,
7 SOUTH , and 7 WEST
(see map on page 134)
ALL SPECIES Opens first Saturday in May. For shrimp season open dates and times go to:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/shrimp/ or refer to the toll-free shellfish rule change
hotline (866) 880-5431.

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:
It would be fun to be out with several other c-brats boats fishing for lings, at least for a few hours of the time each day.

Sounds like a plan RB. Usually folks scatter on Saturday doing different things. I probably wont go shrimping this year. Too much gear to drag along but i think I'll bring my brand new lingcod rods. Gotta check with Caryn first. Wink

Peter
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Thank you Peter. Below are the dates for halibut, ling cod and shrimp. All of which will be open at the time of the gathering. I will post a how to for ling cod later.

PACIFIC HALIBUT** May 9-June 7, 2014 May 9-May 10: Open Friday and Saturday ONLY. May 17: Saturday ONLY. May
22-May 25: Thursday through Sunday ONLY. May 29-May-31: Thursday through
Saturday ONLY. June 7: Saturday ONLY. No min. size. Daily limit 1.

LINGCOD May 1-June 15
May 21-June 15
Hook and line season. Min. size 26". Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.
Spearfishing season. Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.

shrimp-MARINE AREAS 7 EAST,
7 SOUTH , and 7 WEST
(see map on page 134)
ALL SPECIES Opens first Saturday in May. For shrimp season open dates and times go to:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/shrimp/ or refer to the toll-free shellfish rule change
hotline (866) 880-5431.

Thanks Tom. I might need a refresher course on tying the lingcod rigs on Friday.

Peter
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after looking closer at the wdfw site I see that shrimp will be open the weekend before and after the gathering but not on the gathering. Also please take notice that area 7 west will be open seven days a week after June 1st in the San Juans until Sept 1. You can shrimp all summer in area 7 west. This is only the second year for this season and last year they did not make quota in 7 west. I would be happy to sit down with any one at the gathering that will be coming back later in the summer to talk about how, where and, most important, when to shrimp in 7 west. It is all about the tides and nothing but the tides.

Ok about ling cod. I figured out ling cod last year and it was great. I have since tossed all my jigs away.You only need the following to catch ling cod anywhere in Washington or Canada. This is a great fishery for the people that do not fish much and do not want to spend a lot on gear. So here is the shopping list
1. Medium to heavy salmon rod with levelwind reel spooled with at least 30lb to50lbs test. I highly recommend braid for you main line.
2. Spool of 15 to 20 lbs test for catching bait and 30 to 50lbs mono for ling leaders.
3. Small thin wire hook for catching bait ( I will have to go look up size but its not to important.
4. Size 5/0 to 6/0 barbless circle hook for lings. You dont have to use circle hooks but they work better for this type of fishing and do not hang on the bottom near as much.
5. Swivel, beads, and weight slider. You can also use a swivel with a snap instead of the slider.
6. Bait for the catching bait. This can be anything from salami strips to piece of cheese to what ever you got in the boat. Big gulp bait strips would be great for this.
7. A dozen or more ( lots more if peter is on the boat) 4 to 6 ounce ball weights. Maybe even 8 ounce.

double hook bait riggs

That link will show you how to tie your bait rig.

mooching rig

This link shows how to tie a mooching rig. For our use you want the hook about 6 to 8 inches apart and the leader to be 4 to 8 feet long. I like 6 to 8 ft.

The whole thing is so simple its funny. First thing to do is catch your bait. With your two hook bottom rig, a 2 ounce weight and a bait of your choice go find a flat area near some rocks, sand is best but mud bottom is ok, in20 to 60 ft of water drop you rig to the bottom. Now here is the important part. You want the lead just hitting the bottom and the line tight. Don’t let it sit or drag on the bottom. You also want that rod in your hand and just your hand. Don't hold it against you leg or belly. If you do you will miss hits and waste bait. If you don't have a hit is 2 minutes move. You don't have to go far but move. Once you have one you just keep hitting that spot. First flounder you catch is cut up into bait strips a half by ¼ inch. They make the best bait for catching themselves. I have caught 15 in fewer than 10 mins. You want to keep them alive in a bucket of fresh salt water. Replace the water once an hour. I will tell you this right now, it’s the funniest fishing in the world. and if you have young kids they will love it. Oh what we are catching is flounder or sole which are great eating in their own right.

I have to go work right now but will post later about the ling cod part of the adventure.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after looking closer at the wdfw site I see that shrimp will be open the weekend before and after the gathering but not on the gathering. Also please take notice that area 7 west will be open seven days a week after June 1st in the San Juans until Sept 1. You can shrimp all summer in area 7 west. This is only the second year for this season and last year they did not make quota in 7 west. I would be happy to sit down with any one at the gathering that will be coming back later in the summer to talk about how, where and, most important, when to shrimp in 7 west. It is all about the tides and nothing but the tides.

Ok about ling cod. I figured out ling cod last year and it was great. I have since tossed all my jigs away.You only need the following to catch ling cod anywhere in Washington or Canada. This is a great fishery for the people that do not fish much and do not want to spend a lot on gear. So here is the shopping list
1. Medium to heavy salmon rod with levelwind reel spooled with at least 30lb to50lbs test. I highly recommend braid for you main line.
2. Spool of 15 to 20 lbs test for catching bait and 30 to 50lbs mono for ling leaders.
3. Small thin wire hook for catching bait ( I will have to go look up size but its not to important.
4. Size 5/0 to 6/0 barbless circle hook for lings. You dont have to use circle hooks but they work better for this type of fishing and do not hang on the bottom near as much.
5. Swivel, beads, and weight slider. You can also use a swivel with a snap instead of the slider.
6. Bait for the catching bait. This can be anything from salami strips to piece of cheese to what ever you got in the boat. Big gulp bait strips would be great for this.
7. A dozen or more ( lots more if peter is on the boat) 4 to 6 ounce ball weights. Maybe even 8 ounce.

double hook bait riggs

That link will show you how to tie your bait rig.

mooching rig

This link shows how to tie a mooching rig. For our use you want the hook about 6 to 8 inches apart and the leader to be 4 to 8 feet long. I like 6 to 8 ft.

The whole thing is so simple its funny. First thing to do is catch your bait. With your two hook bottom rig, a 2 ounce weight and a bait of your choice go find a flat area near some rocks, sand is best but mud bottom is ok, in20 to 60 ft of water drop you rig to the bottom. Now here is the important part. You want the lead just hitting the bottom and the line tight. Don’t let it sit or drag on the bottom. You also want that rod in your hand and just your hand. Don't hold it against you leg or belly. If you do you will miss hits and waste bait. If you don't have a hit is 2 minutes move. You don't have to go far but move. Once you have one you just keep hitting that spot. First flounder you catch is cut up into bait strips a half by ¼ inch. They make the best bait for catching themselves. I have caught 15 in fewer than 10 mins. You want to keep them alive in a bucket of fresh salt water. Replace the water once an hour. I will tell you this right now, it’s the funniest fishing in the world. and if you have young kids they will love it. Oh what we are catching is flounder or sole which are great eating in their own right.

I have to go work right now but will post later about the ling cod part of the adventure.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After our $$$ repairs and detailing at The Bitter End Boatworks, we don't want no stinkin' fish guts on Daydream! But I do want to learn to catch lings (and what is wrong with catching and eating the flounder you are catching for bait?) - that is what Crabby Lou is for, no issue with fish guts, mud from crab pots, whatever there! Won't have Crabby Lou at Friday Harbor, so hoping I can catch a ride!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom's right. I almost had more fun catching those flounders as I did catching the ling. Actually Tom caught the lings. The one's I did hook last year dropped off. Don't even let Tom tell you about the beauty he caught which I knocked off with the net right at the gunnel. Rolling Eyes

This time, I'm going to buy an aerator for the live bucket which they sell at John's Sporting Goods in Everett. I felt sorry for those little guys when they started to die off in the bucket.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat you are more then welcome on my boat for a day of fishing. I will have to figure out the tides for saturday. Might cost you a growler of very dark beer.

Fishing for lings is about location and timing. You want to find a shelf or pinnacle near deep water. Something in 40 to 80 ft of water near 300 plus feet of water with steep sides. You want a area with good tidal flow you just dont want to be there when the tide is flowing. You want to arrive at your chosen spot as the tide is dying down and stay thru the slack until the tide is running so hard you can not stay vertical with your line with 6 to 8 ounces of lead.

A key piece of the puzzle is starting on top of your shelf/ pinnacle and bounce down the hill. As with the bait fishing you want your line straight up and down and just off the bottom. This is not the type of fishing where you can put the rod in a holder or rest it against you leg. I like to keep the rod horizontal to the water and in my hand. This way you can feel the bottom and the bite, which can be really light or ripp the rod out of your hand. The bite can and often does feel like a snag on the bottom. You don't jerk the rod to set the hook, just reel up and lift. If he's hooked he will run, if not he might just hang on until you get him to the surface. Several of the fish we landed last year where not hook at all but just holding on to the bait fish and were netted at the boat.

I can not promise fish just a good time and I think if we can find Susan and LD a place on a boat at the dock while Iam fishing then I can take 4 people plus me on saturday.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dag nabbit! I won't be able to make the gathering once again. I was really looking forward to this, but a conflict has arisen. I'll be in Cle Elum helping out with a fundraiser.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom. I'll plan on it. Have to go get my shellfish license, so I will definitely add saltwater fishing!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi, Sorry you won't make it. Good luck at the fund raiser, will be hanging out at the funraiser Very Happy

It is getting closer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: