The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED Replacements on a Venture23 (2006 Cape Cruiser)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: LED Replacements on a Venture23 (2006 Cape Cruiser) Reply with quote

I finally got around to replacing some of the cabin lights and the anchorlite with LED's.

As easy as it was - I can't believe I waited this long to complete the project.

I ordered all bulbs from ( superbrightleds.com TEL: 314-972-6200), and their 'tech was very helpful in steering me to the correct bulb(s).

The Perko anchorlite requires two "festoon" type bulbs (point metal caps on each end). I chose two "cool white" bulbs (part number 3022-CWHP4) at $6.95 each. They snap right-in, but remember to put a small dab of dielectric grease on the end of each metal end cap.

In the cabin I wanted to replace the overhead lights with LED's. The Cape Cruiser cabin lights have a two way switch. In one position it's a white light (very bright) and the other way it's a red light. The standard white light over the dinette was easily removed and replaced with a very bright G4-WWHP15-TAC ($16.95)

When I got to looking at the red light in the same fixture, it was not a red bulb at all, but merely a red cover over a standard clear bulb. I removed the red cover and replaced the bulb with a G4-WHP (CoolWhite @ $5.95) that doesn't appear bright enough for reading, but should be a convenient night light.

With the exception of the two Festoon bulbs, my LEDs all had the standard "G4" pins that seem pretty standard in the industry (two 1mm pins 4mm apart plug into the lamb socket).

I opted not to change the NAV lights at this point on the theory that if the NAV lights are burn the engine will be running, so battery power isn't an issue. But since this job was so easy, I may replace the NAV lights as well someday ... and never have to think about a bulb burning out.

...now I can hardly wait for it to get dark so I can see how much light is produced from the new bulbs!

Best,
Casey

maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, Not to change your thread too much, but in looking at your photo album we noticed the photo of your boat cover - very nice! We are in the process of buying a 2006 Venture (Cape Cruiser) 23 and want to get a boat cover made. We are hoping to find a manufacturer who has already done one for a Venture 23 so already has the measurements since we are not nearby the boat and are having it shipped. Do you recall the maker of your cover? We love how full it is and since our boat will receive some hot summer sun that is a definite plus. Thanks for any info you might be able to share.

mary
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Replacements on a Venture23 (2006 Cape Cruiser) Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
I finally got around to replacing some of the cabin lights and the anchorlite with LED's. . . .

Best,
Casey

Hey Casey,

Thanks man. You've saved this lazy guy the trouble of figuring the LED replacements out. I keep telling myself, "One of these days . . . " Now I can go directly to the part where I spend money.

I've already changed the all-around/anchor light with a new sealed LED unit, so matching bulbs was not an issue. (The inside of the housing on the original unit was so badly corroded that I just junked it.) I'm really happy with the LED.

It sounds like you're abandoning the red "night vision" option on the overheads in the cabin. I take it you now have a bright white and a dimmer white option on that two-way switch. Would the red cover in the original be useable with the new white LED bulb if I wanted to keep it? Or maybe there is a red LED bulb option. (I kind of like that run-silent-run-deep ambience at night. Maybe it even is really better for maintaining vision?)

I'm of the same opinion as you about the Nav lights. But as you say, if it's easy, what the heck might as well do it any not have to worry.

Anyway, thanks again for doing all the hard part on this! Let us know how you like the lights at night.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary - The cover was made in AUG 2009 by JP's Canvas & Awning (9530 W.Cedar Street, Crystal River, FL 34428 TEL: 352-795-1026). The cost was $1200 and I asked JP to use "Tenara" thread which virtually wears forever. According to the receipt there was an $80 upcharge for the Tenara thread.

JP recommended a fabric called "Harbor-Time" Acrylic Coasted Polyester Marine Fabric (www.JohnBoyle.com 11oz/yard) because it doesn't stretch like Sunbrella when in the sun. I'm very happy with the cover. JP fabricated it in two parts (fore & aft). It's GIGANTIC, and if it was in one piece it would be virtually unmanageable (it's a challenge, as is).

If you're interested, as I recall JP gave me his pattern's and I have them rolled up in the attic (in Florida). I'll be flying back to FL on 5/22 for a couple weeks and if you want I can retrieve the patterns and get them to JP. Send me a PM if interested.

Bill - I just went out to check the light while it's dark. I'm very pleased with the results, but if I had it to do over I'd use the "Warm White" bulbs wherever possible. The Cool White bulb is fine but does tend to give the cabin an almost erie cold feel.

I have the G4-xWHP15-TAC bulb over the dinette along with the original red light arrangement. Over the sink I kept the original white light but replaced the red light with a G4-WHP which is like a fairly bright night light. I think the original red lens would go over the G4-WHP bulb (but not the G4-xWHP15-TAC which actually has fifteen LEDs in it). in the V-berth I kept the original white light, but replaced the red light with a G4-WHP as well.

The anchorlite (with two festoon LEDs in the Perko fitting) is amazingly bright. SuperBright advertises three mile visibility, but I'm guessing it's more like Ten! The boat feels like a floating lighthouse! At the Powell CBGT I may have to put something over the anchorlite so nearby boaters will be able to sleep at night!

Best,
Casey
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
Bill - I just went out to check the light while it's dark. I'm very pleased with the results, but if I had it to do over I'd use the "Warm White" bulbs wherever possible. The Cool White bulb is fine but does tend to give the cabin an almost erie cold feel.

I have the G4-xWHP15-TAC bulb over the dinette along with the original red light arrangement. Over the sink I kept the original white light but replaced the red light with a G4-WHP which is like a fairly bright night light. I think the original red lens would go over the G4-WHP bulb (but not the G4-xWHP15-TAC which actually has fifteen LEDs in it). in the V-berth I kept the original white light, but replaced the red light with a G4-WHP as well. ...

Casey,

It only took two years, but I got around to it. I ordered 3 of the G4XWHP15 TAC in warm white. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong design (not G4 Bi-pins), but were very responsive about correcting things. I also ordered one of these: G4-WW36-T Warm White, which is pretty darn bright (that's 36 LEDs) but is very nice in the warm white. Right now it's in the fixture over the galley. It's a little bigger than the 15 LED model, but it fits fine. I also ordered 4 of the G4-WHP one-LED lights to replace the red "night light" bulbs in each of the fixtures. No problem fitting them next to the new LED lights in each fixture. But, out of the four fixtures, only two of the original red bulb covers fit over the new one-LED lights. Confused Two of the red covers were just slightly too small in diameter. Go figure. So I decided just to have white night lights in the V-Berth, and used the red covers for the two lights in the main cabin.

Thanks again for doing the ground work on this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: