Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milk crate will work good too and i will see about feeding it down once it has drained and see how much of a pain it is... the opening for the rode on the bow is about the same diameter as the chain is.(it has been a while since i looked closely at it) but seems much smaller than some of the others i have seen in the albums here.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Just for the edification of the marine language officianadoes amongst us, the opening for the anchor rode in the foerdeck is called the "deck pipe".

See some examples here:

Deck Pipe

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe is correct, traditionally the Hawsepipe is "an inclined pipe leading from a hawsehole to the side of a ship, containing the shank of the anchor when the anchor is raised." or the timber or metal ring which the anchor chain or rode passes thru at the bow of a ship However, the modern definition includes the deck pipe--as illustrated if you google hawsepipe or look for illustrations on the internet you will find illustrations of the "deck pipe"

To be correct for Joe--the deck pipe generally comes in two sizes on the C Dory--one is the size which will just allow chain to pass thru--and often will not allow a shackle or splice this is usually in a boat will chain rode. The more common one is large enough to allow your hand to go thru, and it is fairly easy to feed the rode into.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

Thanks for clarifying that!

I wouldn't ever want to be known as a sailor that didn't know his hawsepipe from his deck pipe! Wink

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I was happy to see you had put up the photos of the 25 lb Manson Boss on the Hunkydory in this thread. Before buying it on line & on sale from Defenders, I had searched all over trying to find a photo of it on something that it's actual size could be related to with zero luck, so maybe this will help someone else thinking about the Manson Boss anchor. There was enough information out now, about this new generation anchor to convince me to purchase it & it would appear the same for you, but only it's use will totally confirm its value compared to the others used in the past. I do have high expectations for this anchor, but it was a shock to see just how big it was on arrival.

Jay

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manson Boss anchor also comes in 15 lb size. This should be ample for most of us with 22' cruisers. They are expensive and we do not have much C-Dory 'history' on them. I am very happy with my 15 lb Manson Supreme, so I'll not be changing anytime soon.

Martin.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,
There will probably not be much difference in holding power between the Manson Supreme and Boss. You are correct that the Boss costs more than the Supreme--and I don't know why. In the 2014 West Marine Catalogue the 10# Boss is $240, and the 15# Boss is $299. The 15# Supreme is listed at $219, or less than the 10# Boss. The Ronca 13# is the same price as the 15# Supreme.

When I get my 10# next week, I'll post a photo, and hopefully, I'll throw the Caracal in the water, which has a 140 hp on it--and we well see how the 10# sets and holds. The 10# Boss has a length of the fluke of 13 7/8", the Supreme 15# has a length of the fluke of 13". The 10# Boss has a width of the flukes of 13 1/8", and the Supreme 15# has a width of the fluke of 11".,

Thus it appears that there is more fluke area in the 10# Boss than in the 15# supreme. The Boss seems flatter--I am not sure how that equates to holding power. What is key, is weight in the tip--I don't know how to measure that, but the Boss does not have a roll bar--and appears to have as much weight in the tip. Only time and testing will tell.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I agree with the Manson Boss 15 lb being the better choice for most with a CD 22 & perhaps would have been for me too. Bob, gave me the heads up information about the new generation Manson Boss following my mentioning on a different thread about not being entirely satisfied with the 15 lb Manson Supreme, which I'd purchased just before installing a windless. With the installation of the windless & no longer having to pull all that weight by hand, I thought for me the 25 lb Manson Supreme a better choice. Bob informed me the new Manson Boss 15 Lb anchor with its larger fluke size could well be the equal of the 25 lb Manson Supreme in the soft mud conditions that I told him I'd had problems in the past with the 22 lb Claw & I thought might still with the 15 lb Supreme. I wanting perhaps extreme overkill due to our general choice of cruising area & style, chose the 25 lb Manson Boss over both the 15 lb Boss & the 25 lb Supreme, but wouldn't necessarily recommend the same to others with a CD 22.

My main concern now is as Bob pointed out "Weight on the tip". On the test I've read about made with the Manson Boss anchor this did did not seem to be a problem. I'll find out for sure if it is or not in May & June in the PNW.

I too was very surprised at the pricing & now with having both a Manson Supreme & Boss can say the workmanship on the Supreme is superior to the Boss at least in appearance. Which seems strange to me being as they are made by the same company & the one somewhat lacking is by far the most expensive.

Jay
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to see the photos of the 25# Boss on the 22 - thanks Jay and Thataway for those.

On the rode storage, just another idea: On the Powell trip I carried a second anchor and rode (~11# Claw, 20' of 1/4" chain, and around 200' of 1/2" 3-strand) and needed someplace to put them. I also figured I might want to anchor either from the bow or the stern with it. As a bit of an experiment, I bought a relatively inexpensive duffel bag from Wal-Mart and used that to stow both the rode and anchor. And actually it worked great. I was able to carry the whole works from bow to stern, store whatever part of the rode I wasn't using in the duffel while the rest was deployed (and it had handles to secure it on deck in windy conditions). IIRC there were a couple of grommets in the bottom for drainage, and I secured the bitter end to the bag (mostly to keep the bag from blowing away if it came to that).

I probably won't use a $20 Wal-Mart duffel permanently, but I may make something similar-but-higher-quality. It just worked so well, didn't scratch the boat, made the whole thing portable, etc. (I'd never had an anchor and rode that weren't stowed in a locker before.) There may be some problem with it that the single location (Powell) didn't uncover though (such as super muddy rode coming aboard). Perhaps the same concept made of something like Phifertex (?)
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortress makes both anchor bags and bags for combo anchors and rode--and sold as a set. As far as muddy rodes--they should be cleaned before put into any kind of storage.

We carry our spare anchors (3 Fortress) (and props) under the dinette floor--along with spare rodes. I doubt that the 10 lb Boss will go there!

Interesting to find that Jay felt that the Boss was not as well made as the Supreme.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of really good info, my deck pipe is the smaller version and is quite small. once we get and install the windlass it won’t be an issue but for now i have new rode in a milk crate and will use that in the coming months.
more and more of my friends that anchor halibut fish swear by the Bruce type anchor especially for holding power in strong current where according to them the Danforth will fail to hold. still planning on waiting and trying Danforth..
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider walking the docks in local marinas and seeing what boats have what anchors. Kind of an unofficial way to see what most folks around here think works. My own recollection is Bruce/Plow about even, some CQR on older big boats and a few Danforths. Mansons are becoming more common on the docks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: