The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/03 - 08/09 - 13th Annual Catalina Off-Shore Adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gratitude

City/Region: Costa Mesa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C Pelican
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the first time that I have been to Catalina in C Pelican, so I have several questions:

What are the implications if I have not yet acquired a dinghy to get to and from the shore? Is there a work around?

Is there a shower available on shore, and how is the access?

How far from the moorings is the grocery store?

Any suggestions to a newbie are welcome.

Thank you for your time, and considerations.

Gratitude (Jim)

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratitude wrote:
This will be the first time that I have been to Catalina in C Pelican, so I have several questions:

What are the implications if I have not yet acquired a dinghy to get to and from the shore? Is there a work around? They have a water taxi.

Is there a shower available on shore, and how is the access? Showers and restrooms on shore, easy access.

How far from the moorings is the grocery store? The store is very close to the pier.

Any suggestions to a newbie are welcome. Everything at Two Harbors is close to the pier.

Thank you for your time, and considerations.

Gratitude (Jim)

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
The boat knows the way by itself.
You will moor on the string line. This is on the East side of the pier. When you come to the Isthmus, call the harbor patrol on VHF channel 09 and ask for a string line tie up.
There is a water taxi shore boat--so not sweat getting ashore (they want your money). Call Shore boat on VHF 09, tell them what mooring number you are on. I believe it is $3 each way (incentive to buy a dinghy). Or you can swim ashore. (cool water) There are paddle boards and Kayaks for rent on the beach.

Picking up the mooring: There is a wand, with a float. Pick that up first, You can put the large poly rope over the bow cleat, but I prefer to use a short piece of dock line and look it thru the large loop, and tie that to the cleat. Then there is a "sand" line to the aft mooring line. You bring the sand line along the side of the boat, and pull it until you come to the aft mooring line, or find a place where you want to loop it around the aft cleat. I prefer again to use a dock line.

The "Grocery" store is a about 150 feet from the land side of the pier. There is a shack bar, ice cream, hamburger, right in front of your, and off to the east side is a patio with drinks, and in back of that is the "Reef" restaurant. Good food ($).

There are showers bring quarters. There are lots of people (including campers) using the showers. So you may have to wait a few minutes. There are bathroom and showers to the East of the patio.

Take a walk across the Isthmus. Stay to the left and go out to the point at the entrance to Cat harbor. You may see some remnants of the all Teak Vessel "Ningpo", which was built in 1753!

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Ningpo.htm

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob- Thanks for the link above to the Ningpo!

Those who skipped reading it missed the Jewel of the Month on C-Brats! Laughing

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Ningpo.htm

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Not to worry about getting to/from shore, with all the C-Brats attending, you can walk from boat to boat! At the very least, any of us will certainly give you a ride most any time you like...

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little motivation for this summer's gathering at Two Harbors: https://vimeo.com/92488159. We spent the last few days at Little Harbor and Cat Harbor. It was overcast most mornings but beautiful when the sun came out

I am hoping to make this year's gathering with my crew. We spend most weekends at Catalina and would love to see other C-Dory's at the island. Plus, I think we might have the only 24' Tomcat in Southern California, so it would be great to add another "model" to the mix.

Tim

24' Tomcat- Oski
22' Cruiser- C-Pelican
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Another delightful video--such great work--all should look and listen.
dandawes

City/Region: Huntington Beach
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Helen Pauline
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Launch Point for the C-Brats August Cruise Reply with quote

If you are launching from LA/OC area think about using Sunset Marian Launch Ramp. I store and launch my boat from there and have had not trouble. Avalon is 26.1 miles away and Two Harbors is closer yet.
Dan Dawes

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Where is that marina and launch, I could not find it on google?

Steve
dandawes

City/Region: Huntington Beach
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Helen Pauline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Sunset Aquatic Marina Reply with quote

Jim,
Sunset Aquatic Marina is in Huntington Harbor. http://www.mapquest.com/us/california/business-huntington-beach/sunset-aquatic-marina-24057913

It is privately patrolled and a close straight shot to Two Harbors. It is in a good neighborhood and I would think about as safe as any launch ramp/parking lot in So. Cal.
Dan
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: C-Pup16 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I bought overpriced boat wax at West Marine to groom old C-Pup16 so it puts its best social face forward, but there's no wax that can do much to groom my old face... anyway, I'll be glad to hoot n holler Jimmy Buffet style with you laid back ol' Sea Dogs and C-Brats, so I'll see you at MdR. Kimiko would like to greet you on land the night before shoving off, but will not go to sea with her old man. I even removed the passenger seat and reconfigured the boat for my man cave on the waves.

BTW, MdR is now reconstructing the boat ramp entry which is closed. For now, enter the boat ramp from Mindanao Way which is the road you always exited the boat ramp area. It's the road with a loop at Burton Chace Park. Maybe they'll have the regular entrance opened again in August, but I doubt it will be finished any time soon. No work has not started in the month since closing the old gate with chain link fencing. There is no ticket machine at the temporary entrance. A guy is there from 6:00 AM to take your money, $10 a day.

I'm thinking of rechristening C-Pup to name her "Ocean Bronco", or "Paint Can Shaker" or something connecting to the exciting ride I'm use to now. Maybe we can concoct some spiritual ceremony to bless my renamed boat with good luck on high seas.

The fishing should be good this year, with both white sea bass and yellowtail being caught on both sides of the Isthmus. Lots of squid. I fished the back side last weekend with no luck, but other guys caught WSB and Yellowtail.

Jim, if you and Kath are saying later, maybe we can leave the noise of the Isthmus behind and anchor in Rippers Cove east of Empire Landing. It's got the blue water of the Caribbean, nice for snorkeling. You can see the shadow of your boat or dingy on the sand below. There's a pebble beach that's one of the boat-only access authorized camp sites, so there may be camper/kayakers there in August. They're not as rowdy as the bar at Two Harbors. I must be showing my age to criticize drinking and carousing. I like fun... I'll start Ukulele lessons next week so I can strum a tune for you. You might then prefer the rap music and noise of the bar!

Anyone who wants can "friend" me on Face Book. I'm a power user, so you'll get lots of posts. https://www.facebook.com/keith.dager I have some recent pics and videos of C-Pup on the far side of Catalina when I was hunting for WSB at dawn last weekend. It's all "public" so you can lurk and look without friending me if that's your preference.

Be well,
Keith
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: I'm in......again. Reply with quote

Me and 1st mate Muffin are planning to make the Adventure In Paradise again, this time joining others out of CIH for a direct cruise downhill to Two Harbors. Hope to introduce a grandson to this craziness, but not sure of his camp schedule. Yeah, I know, life is tough for today's youngsters. Look forward to seeing a lot of old friends. And no Ed!
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Old times again Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing you again Mike.

Keith
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Keith.....Are you bringing Muttly ? (the dog)

Joel
SEA3PO
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully committed now. Ordered camper canvas for aft cockpit, and had my radar pedestal powder coated as it was showing some wear and tear. Powder coating was only $50.....super deal, canvas deal not so much, $675. But Sealife will have an added cabin. Very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: