The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Salty complets Great Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Salty complets Great Loop Reply with quote

A C-22 "Salty" has completed the Great Loop and has posted his statiticsl on the Looper's forum. I was hoping he would post it here, but it's been a while, so I've copied his post below.

By: irlboater on January 3rd, 2014, 3:47 pm
I have compiled some trip statistics from my recently completed Great Loop adventure. My 22' C-Dory Cruiser, "Salty", was the smallest Looper that I have seen on the Loop. I heard there was a 14' sailboat that was about a week behind me but I never met them.

My budget was also small. I learned how to take advantage of free town docks, parks and boat ramp docks to explore the towns. I only stayed at three marinas and those were a dollar per foot or less. I carried two 7 gallon jerry cans of gas from land based gas stations close to the waterway that I estimate that I saved $800-$1000 by not filling my tanks at marinas. Including fuel, I spent about $12,000 to complete the trip in six months. I bought the seasonal lock pass and mooring pass in Canada.

My trip started on April 16th from Melbourne Beach, Florida and went north up the ICW, up the Hudson and to Canada through Lake Champlain. Through the Lacine Canal through downtown Montreal. Ottawa for Canada Day. Rideau Canal and Trent/Severn to Georgian Bay and North Channel. Cleared Customs on Drummond Island then on to Mackinac Island. Then I cruised Michigan's Inland Waterway from Cheboygan River, Burt and Crooked Lakes, Indian River and through the smallest lock, Alanson/Crooked River Lock. Down the Michigan side of Lake Michigan during, I dare say, the most beautiful and calm week of the year. The lake was like a mirror! Through downtown Chicago and the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland, Tennessee and Tombigbee to Mobile, Alabama. GICW to Apalachicola for a 160 mile, 9 hour crossing to Crystal River. South to the Okeechobee Waterway then a short hop north to home on the Indian River Lagoon.

Total trip miles - 5,591
Total gallons of gas - 1,340
Total gas cost - $5,191.75
Average miles per gallon - 4.43
Total days on trip - 191
Total moving days - 129
Total engine hours - 542.2
Average gallons per hour - 2.47
Average miles per hour - 11
Average cost of fuel per hour - $9.58
Average miles per moving day - 46

I know most people will take a full year to do the Loop. I took a little more than half that. I don't feel that I was rushed. I stayed when I wanted to stay but was always excited to get moving to see what was next. I cruised the Canadian canals at hull speed of 6 mph and was able to get on a plane at 15-20 mph when traveling the lakes and inland rivers. I really enjoyed being able to get on a plane. I was able to see many towns and sights along the way and still keep up with other Loopers moving all day at 8-10 mph.

There were too many memorable moments to mention here but some highlights were Georgia's coastal islands and riding in the wake of Yinzer up Cape Fear River during strong winds and seas. The Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River. The daily afternoon storms on Lake Champlain. The Lachine Canal through downtown Montreal. The locks and lock masters along the Rideau and Trent/Severn. The stunning scenery of Georgian Bay and North Channel. Michigan's Inland Waterway. The neat harbors and clear water along the Michigan coast. Cruising between skyscrapers in Chicago. The tugs and barges on the inland rivers. The beaches of Florida. And the 4-5 foot waves on Lake Okeechobee.

Many times people have told me that this is the trip of a lifetime but I would look forward to cruising Americas Great Loop some year again in the future. Jonathan aboard Salty in Melbourne Beach

Follow up: since his post several people have responded about seeing him, traveled with him and commented that he could go places they could not in their larger boats.
Chuck

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hearty congratulations and GOOD FOR YOU!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that. We had received a Christmas Card from him, with the same statistics.

He points out the advantages of the C Dory. He would leave at the same time of day as the trawlers--stop for lunch and explore some town, then again in the PM often take a break, to do more exploring. He rarely stayed at marinas where he had to pay a fee--and often hitched a ride to get gas from service stations.

His primary navigation device was an I pad, with both Garmin Blue charts mobile and Navionics. Active Captain played a major role in his decisions.

Looking at Salty, you would think that this was a boat just out for a afternoon cruise--nothing to betray it as a real passage maker doing the loop!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Looking at Salty, you would think that this was a boat just out for a afternoon cruise--nothing to betray it as a real passage maker doing the loop!

Most people overprepare and overspend for trips like this, in reality, you don't need much for voyaging. People cross oceans with less.

I enjoyed reading his stats, very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture of Jonathan (Salty) was taken in Pensacola at Pirates Cove by Marjorie Fowlkes fall of 2013.

Jonathan (Salty) on the right, Charless Fowlkes (Vagabundo) on the left.

Lanlocked

City/Region: Chatham county
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Resilient
Photos: Resilient
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly Inspirational.
Thank you for sharing your trip.
Thanks for the detailed fuel/millage /distance ETC details.
Once again , Bravo!!!!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Thanks for posting this. Good to hear the accomplishment, and to see the numbers. Getting closer to being able to look at this for a trip plan.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Thanks! Love Thumbs Up

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: link to your Loop Site Reply with quote

I could not find your blog on the Looper's site. Is there public non-member site and does anyone have th elink?
Thanks,
bob
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responding to the question about the first posting of the trip data

I receive the daily digest of the "Looper's" forums, and the January 3 edition had the info from irboater telling about his Great Loop Trip in a CD-22. I don't know him, but since it was a CD-22 it was interesting to me, and I assumed to other C-brats. I waited a few days hoping he would post it to this site, but it didn't appear, so I copied it and posted it. If he does a blog I don't know the address.
Chuck
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty is owned by Jonathan Arthur, who is one of the owners of "Honest John's Fish Camp"--A highly regarded marina/shop/ramp on the Indian River. I don't have a URL for a blog, but it may just have been in the Great Loop Association.

Jonathan is one of the nicest young men I have met and is a real attribute to the C Dory Family. We are going to make it a point to visit him at the fish camp--which was started by his Grandfather: "honest John".

Jonathan has grown up on the water, travels widely with Kayaks, the C Dory and all sorts of other "messing around with boats"!

The Loopers forum is closed except to those who pay membership fees. The one year membership is $59. I guess if I was doing the loop, I would pay up--but I happen to think that this sort of information should be free and an incentive to belong to the organization--For example Seven Seas Cruising Association forum is open to the public--but to be a member costs $55 a year for electronic bulletins. Both organizations have meetings for members and have other benefits. I see the forum as a good source of information which brings people to joint the organization.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: