City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Fisher wrote:
Each 1st Saturday of the month is Super Saturday, you get 20% off what's not on sale.

Additionally Patrick, for us guys more aged than you, we get the same 20 percent deal as above on Super Senior Wednesday, which occurs on the 1st Wednesday of each month. Smile

C-Brat #16
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
By 60 watt equivalent I think the OP is talking about the number of lumens and that the LEDs put out is as much light as a 60watt bulb. With LEDs the current for this could be quite low. Zip cord has plenty of capacity for a 60 or even 150 watt incandescent bulb in your house (and is likely UL approved), so I wouldn't think it would be a problem in a boat.

I suspect that there are plenty of boats represented in this forum that have 110 vac circuits installed using outlets obtained from the local hardware store without any issues (mine included). I wouldn't think that the installation mentioned has any more problems than some of the other installations that have been described here.

The amount of current draw of the LED's is not an issue. Using lamp cord (Zip Cord) is not proper on a boat. The insulation is not adequate, the wire is not marine grade--I hope that none of the boats are using either Zip (lamp cord) or Romex type of wiring. That is improper. Nothing wrong with GFI plugs from the hardware store(I use outdoor grade)--this is what is provided by the factory--with proper marine wiring and installation.

It is objectionable converting 12 volt DC current (which LED's run on), to 110 V AC with an inverter to run LED's. The 110 V current has risk of a shock--or even cardiac arrhythmia / arrest when used in this fashion--how big a risk? Well it takes only 100 ma to cause arrhythmia. There are many factors which might allow for this small current to cause problems. The 200 watt inverter puts out almost 2 amps steady and a surge output of about 4 amps for a short time.

This is also not energy effecient--there is loss converting 12 v DC to 110V AC, then converting 110V AC back to DC of run the LED's. Why not just run 12 V LED's?

I have installed a number of 12 V LED circuits--beyond factory lights, with proper switch, proper marine wiring and fused circuits. It would be very easy to buy a bar of LED's which could be installed to point of the ceiling if the indirect light is desired. The cost of this is less than buying the inverter, fixture and LED light bulb, which fits in the standard 110 V socket. If properly done this avoids the risks of an inverter, 110 V improper fixtures and wiring.

I also have 12 volt LED bars on a long cord--(marine grade wire, vinyl outer sheath, all sealed, and to a marine grade 12 volt Cig type of lighter plug), which can be moved around anywhere in the boat and there is no risk.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an EcoSmart, 60W-Equivalent, Soft White, 2700K lumens, A19 LED bulb that consumes only 10 watts and has an output of 2,700 lumens, and it draws less than 2 amps in a portable lighting fixture with a heavy cord. Obviously Dr. Bob is right, because electricity and water don't mix. I should point out that electricity is dangerous regardless as to whether or not it is AC or DC. Yes, my power supply draws less than 2 amps. It's really the amperage that can harm you. It is true that a 9 volt radio battery can cause an arrhythmia in heart patients; I have read that micro amperage has been responsible, in fact, for many hospital patient deaths. What I'm doing is no more dangerous than using my power supply in my car, provided I exercise caution and keep everything dry. My Marinaut has a dry cabin, and has 12 Volt outlets inside the cabin. The power supply is placed in a dry spot. I find that any inefficiencies involved in converting DC to AC for my temporary usage is acceptable for me. Personally, involving electricity, I don't want anyone to do what I do. My comment was made to describe what I do, and should not be taken as advice. Further, I don't want the liability. I should not have mentioned it in the first place.

There is a clear warning on my power supply: "Keep the power supply dry. Do not expose it to moisture." I don't use lamp cords. I can see it now, someone wires an internal circuit in their boat with ungrounded, cheap lamp cord to a 1,000 watt power supply that does not know what they are doing. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

As for Dr. Bob, he generally knows what he is talking about, and he tends to be very conservative. One can't go wrong following his advice on this matter.

Rich

yukonjbishop

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Silvertip
Photos: Silvertip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An A19 60w equivalent LED will generally provide 800 to 900 lumens, not 2700. The reference to 2700k refers to the kelvin number which describes the "temperature" of the light. 2700k provides a "warm" light similar to an ordinary incandescent 60w.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukonjbishop wrote:
An A19 60w equivalent LED will generally provide 800 to 900 lumens, not 2700. The reference to 2700k refers to the kelvin number which describes the "temperature" of the light. 2700k provides a "warm" light similar to an ordinary incandescent 60w.

Thanks, you are right of course; I had a brain drain. Actually, it produces 810 lumens, and it is a great deal of light. Our entire cabin is awash in warm, indirect light. As you know, these bulbs are very harsh when one looks directly at them. My main point was that we like to direct the light upwards onto the ceiling to cause the light to reflect indirectly downwards. We have a solid metal shade that only allows light to project forward, which shields our eyes from the bulb. The bulb cost $20. We love it, but only when we need that much light such as when we are preparing dinner or seated at the dinette in activities that require high illumination. Otherwise, we use our more efficient, wired, 12 Volt LED fixtures: one over the galley, one over the dinette and one in the berth.

Thanks for pointing out my error,

Rich
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the place to debate DC vs AC power as a danger, but AC is considerably more dangerous for multiple reasons from a medical standpoint.

I assume that Rich has actually measured the current draw of his 200 watt inverter powering the 810 lumen equivalent 60 watt light bulb. If one was to use 12 volt LED's to give 800 lumens, the current draw would be just under 1 amp at 12 volts. Thus he is using twice the current necessary. (The 2 amps Rich cited also fit with the efficiency loss of an inverter, and converting AC to DC to power this size LED.) The footprint of the 12 volt LED package would be a fraction of the size of an inverter, fixture, equivalent size 110 volt bulb. I suggest that Rich look into the use of 12 volt LED's to give the indirect light he requires.

If indirect light were a desired feature for other C Brats, it would be very easy to design a light to do this. For example, a 10W 3000-3300K 800-Lumen Warm White Light LED Emitter(9-12V,850mA ) is $6.50 (less if bought in bulk) The fixture could be made to be less than a 2" cube. However, each of our boats is different, and the place we want the unit put will also be different.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
This is not the place to debate DC vs AC power as a danger, but AC is considerably more dangerous for multiple reasons from a medical standpoint.

I assume that Rich has actually measured the current draw of his 200 watt inverter powering the 810 lumen equivalent 60 watt light bulb. If one was to use 12 volt LED's to give 800 lumens, the current draw would be just under 1 amp at 12 volts. Thus he is using twice the current necessary. (The 2 amps Rich cited also fit with the efficiency loss of an inverter, and converting AC to DC to power this size LED.) The footprint of the 12 volt LED package would be a fraction of the size of an inverter, fixture, equivalent size 110 volt bulb. I suggest that Rich look into the use of 12 volt LED's to give the indirect light he requires.

If indirect light were a desired feature for other C Brats, it would be very easy to design a light to do this. For example, a 10W 3000-3300K 800-Lumen Warm White Light LED Emitter(9-12V,850mA ) is $6.50 (less if bought in bulk) The fixture could be made to be less than a 2" cube. However, each of our boats is different, and the place we want the unit put will also be different.

AC vs DC: It all depends, doesn't it? Explain that DC is safer to a lighting strike victim, or to someone who throws a 300 AMP DC breaker that explodes in one's face. Yes, high energy AC breakers explode, too, but I have had master electricians (whom I greatly respect) tell me that they are more afraid of high energy DC breakers. I read a journal article many years about micro DC voltage accidentally killing many people with heart conditions. It all depends upon the situation. To me however, the debate between the two at the levels we are talking about, and assuming that necessary precautions are taken -- the difference between the two is nil. I leave that discussion for experts.

No, I did not measure the current draw of my power supply. And yes, I do understand the concept of Wattage. I actually think it draws less than 2 amps, but there is no doubt about it: you do bring up a valid point, as I conceded, that a DC to AC power supply is very inefficient relative to just using straight DC. That's why DC/AC power supplies give off so heat.

Believe it or not, I like your idea, and I'm going to give it a try, because it is a far better alternative to what I'm doing today. It certainly is far cheaper at 1/3 of the cost, uses less energy (I'm converting DC to AC, then back to DC again within the bulb) and it is safer than using a DC/AC power supply. It's all good.

You are also right about boating cabins being different. I don't remember the cabin configuration and coatings on C-Dory roofs. However, on our Marinaut, the cabin roof is concave (as viewed from the inside,) and it is painted with enamel paint that is highly reflective. So this evenly disperses the light throughout the cabin.

Thanks!

Rich
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy mount for this light if you want to put it on the inner hand rail, is to make the back of the holder concave, the same as the diameter of the hand rail, and use either clips, or small shock cords to hold it in place. I would also mount the LED at least slightly off the mounting material--since there is some heat (I have a 36 LED cluster over my bunk in the RV, and it is running about 40 degrees over the ambient temperature. But it does have an open design which allows for heat dissipation. Also you may want to make a diffusing lens over the LED--since the light bulb which you like so well is well defused as a feature of its design.

As to the DC current which you describe is very high amperage and not germane to this discussion. (Lightning is some where between 30 Kilo-amps (negative lobe) to over 300 Kilo-amps (Positive lobe) Voltage dependent on the length of the bolt--temp is somewhere near 20,000 °C. Yes, I mentioned about 100 micro amps being enough to cause an issue with a cardiac patient, and it can be less, but you are getting into an area where I have some expertise--but how and and under what circumstances--again--beyond the comprehension here.

As for measuring power consumption--it is also a good idea to have a device such as the Link 10, or one of several comprehensive battery monitoring systems to manage the power on your boat. It is also easy to measure small current (under 10 amps) with most digital volt meters--my apology, I assumed that since you said it used 2 amps--you had measured the current draw. However, theoretically your guess is close.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr. Bob. I like the idea of the concave mount. One thing that got me intrigued with your suggestion was the small size of your proposed LED solution relative to the to large and clunky shop-type light I use. With our size of boats, space is a premium, and anything we can do to maximize space is beneficial. Thanks again,

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: