View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Smart Tabs SX Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with this product from Nauticus? I would like to install them on my 16 Cruiser which already has permatrim installed on the Honda 40.
getzold

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Wee Wine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Smart Tabs Reply with quote

Morning all,

I have installed the smart tabs on my 19' Angler. I also have the permatrims installed.

The permatrims helped keep the nose down pretty well, but adding the smart tabs completed the deal. I am very happy with them.

I also installed a system (taken from pg.13 on this installation manual - http://www.fishing-boats.info/Tabsmanual.pdf ) to retract the tabs while going downwind in waves and/or maneuvering at slow speed.

They definitely add drag to the boat and impact top speed a few knots, but we now have a smooth ride through the steep chop of the Chesapeake and I can see over the bow without having to sit on a cushion.

1993 19 Angler - Wee Wine 2
http://gletzold.blogspot.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling, is although smart tabs help some boats to get on a plane, and give stern lift, the manually activated tabs (Bennet, Boat Leveler, Lenco) are far more versatile and give you lots more utility. You can balance the boat from side to side, you can trim for the best fuel economy and ride. The "smart tabs"--which are not really "smart" at all, just cannot do this. Spend a few more bucks and get the system which will give you the most.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular experience with "Smart Tab" but a long time ago, seems like a few lifetimes, when I was in college, we had a ski boat that somebody had put fixed tabs on. The boat did not handle well and always put up huge amounts of spray out to the sides. (Now I know about driving the bow down, and the results.) Eventually we pulled the tabs off, and added what I remember to be like a dolphin fin on the OB. Changed the boat completely.

I have a pair of Lenco tabs on SleepyC and love them, particularly for the versatility. I would second what Bob says. It is worth the investment in a better ride.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would chose not having anything rather than having smart tabs. Sure, they push the bow down when going slow and help get you no step, but as your speed increases the leverage from water pressure forces them back in the neutral position. That's just how they work and there are a lot of time that is not what you want at all. They also don't adjust (at least easy) for left to right adjustments. I would spend a bit more and get adjustable trim tabs with gauges at the helm station.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had these Nauticus smart tabs on a 19' Arima a few years ago. It really did help the boat to ride more smoothly through the waters. There is a manual adjustment you can make to account for weight on the boat. This can only be done when you are not on the water.

We had a port side mounted kicker so that side was more heavy. We adjusted that side one notch further from neutral and it balanced the boats weight.

While they are not as versatile as adjustable trim tabs, many on the Arima forums liked them. Our experience with them was very favorable. If I were to do it again, I might opt for electronically adjustable trim tabs.
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting opinions. I appreciate all of the input. My usual style is hear about an idea, buy it, have it installed and "live with it". In my old age I'm finding the patience to seek out some advice, do some research and make a decision that will work for me. There always seems to be pros and cons. Thanks again for your advice.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart Tabs worked extremely well on our 17' Arima and the company offers great support. On a boat over 20', Hydraulic or electric would be a better choice. For use on a 16' C-Dory, the Smart Tabs would perform well and are easy to install (watch torque on the mounting screws).
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: