starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what new mistakes have I made in 2011 -2012? forgot downrigger balls in the 27 once.

Forgot the net in the sled for pinks once.

forgot oil for the dinghy motor once. Just rowed ashore.

forgot my duck calls for duck hunting once.

As long as its just once on each item I fill ok about it.

Forgot to make a head call before paddling the canoe two miles into the bay to duck hunt. Ever try to squat in waders pulled down and wrapped around your thighs while standing in water that is just above your knee's two miles from shore or anything resembling cover while you hunting partners makes wise cracks and start to paddle away???

DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:

forgot my duck calls for duck hunting once.

this is how I mastered my whistling skills!

once had an oar snap in half on me about 1/2 mile from shore. that was a rough paddle home.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
<some deletions>
Forgot to make a head call before paddling the canoe two miles into the bay to duck hunt. Ever try to squat in waders pulled down and wrapped around your thighs while standing in water that is just above your knee's two miles from shore or anything resembling cover while you hunting partners makes wise cracks and start to paddle away???

Tom-

That's a cartoon waiting for an artist! Laughing

At least it was only #1! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
At least it was only #1!

I didn't get that from reading the description...

The whole thing made me (laughingly) remember youthful days in snow country all bundled up in snowmobile suits (like really comprehensive insulated coveralls, only without any flaps or etc...)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Sea Wolf wrote:
At least it was only #1!

I didn't get that from reading the description...

The whole thing made me (laughingly) remember youthful days in snow country all bundled up in snowmobile suits (like really comprehensive insulated coveralls, only without any flaps or etc...)

Sunbeam-

I re-read it, and I think you're right! Wink

Maybe we don't want a cartoonist's rendering of it, after all! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
icewater

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Blessing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When wife was getting out of the boat dropped her truck keys in the drink. First words out of my mouth got me a look that said PLENTY even though she didn't say a word.

Going to the hardware store, buying the biggest magnet I could find, putting it on a loop to attach it to a halibut rod and spending half an hour jigging for the keys helped (after I got the keys up) but sure wish I had kept my lips closed when it happened.
fisherkb

City/Region: Austin
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Slack Tide
Photos: C-Hunt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at great shame, I can admit to a mistake bigger than Harvey's. I was distracted and instead of putting the nozzle on the gas can into the fuel inlet I put it into the rod holder. Fortunately I noticed my mistake after only a cup or so of gas went into the cockpit. Talk about feeling like an idiot. It is amazing how fast one can detail a boat when you are trying to avoid anyone else realizing how stupid you are....

Karl
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I owned sailboats; but now I am a power boater having just bought a CD25 a month or so ago. The CD is parked outside my house for now until I can complete a shed to house it. I get in and out via a relatively cheap aluminum step ladder that doesn't quite reach -- note my sailboats were never on a trailer.

Yesterday, I got in the boat late in the afternoon to do some cleaning.....got immersed and didn't leave until after dark with my hands full of junk. There was no light, but heck, I've done this maneuver dozens of times in the last month. So I step onto the swim ladder, carefully turn around and reach my foot down to that long first step.

What I hadn't done dozens of times is this maneuver in strong winds (gusting over 40). My foot just keep going down, down, down until I lost my balance and fell to the ground with gear flying everywhere (luckily the Honda 150 helped me break the fall). Once I dusted myself off, I note the upset step ladder laying on the ground where the wind had deposited it.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgmfish wrote:
Years ago I owned sailboats; but now I am a power boater having just bought a CD25 a month or so ago. The CD is parked outside my house for now until I can complete a shed to house it. I get in and out via a relatively cheap aluminum step ladder that doesn't quite reach -- note my sailboats were never on a trailer.

Yesterday, I got in the boat late in the afternoon to do some cleaning.....got immersed and didn't leave until after dark with my hands full of junk. There was no light, but heck, I've done this maneuver dozens of times in the last month. So I step onto the swim ladder, carefully turn around and reach my foot down to that long first step.

What I hadn't done dozens of times is this maneuver in strong winds (gusting over 40). My foot just keep going down, down, down until I lost my balance and fell to the ground with gear flying everywhere (luckily the Honda 150 helped me break the fall). Once I dusted myself off, I note the upset step ladder laying on the ground where the wind had deposited it.

oh ouch, that sounds painful!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smgfish, that has to hurt. Any time hitting the motor is a good thing is a bad time.

For the record on my post. it was 2 and it was cold and if you squat to fat you get wet. 45 degree water touching your bottom is not good for the heart. At least its not the south and you have to worry about gators, snakes and banjo pickers.
Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first mate (and only mate) were at the Rocky Island dock in the Apostle Islands in our 22 ft. sailboat. The dock has some rough cribs that are not friendly to small boats when they get up close and personal. I had deployed a small folding grapnel anchor abeam to keep us just off the dock. When a space became available on the opposite side of the dock we decide to move the boat. I think we'll just walk the boat around and the first mate says, "You're not going to just motor over?" Of course not, it'll be a piece of cake with the two of us. So with me on the bow line and the First Mate on the stern line we walk easily to the end of the dock and begin to round the corner. And then no matter what try, going-starting again, more momentum, (and who's not doing what right...), etc. it's not going well. Now I don't recall how "we" remembered that the grapnel anchor was still out but we soon discovered that it was immensely easier to move the boat when not dragging a small anchor in the sand and snagging it on the corner of the dock cribbing. After completing our task I had fine reason to inspect the under water condition of said dock while retrieving the anchor we had worked so hard to firmly set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: