C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunk holing in the Lakes, the Islands and clear water anchorages, not too deep,
I used to dive the anchor to check and adjust the set. It gave me just another
check and probably better sleep.

Obviously not possible in all locations.

Aye.

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

When you don't tighten down the windlass clutch, the gipsy slips, right?
So how much holding power does that anchor and line give? We've been in anchorages where the wind was 30 knts and the cleated line held.

I have no idea how much holding power the clutch would permit when anchored - not enough. Our CD22 has anchored in 35-40 knots, and New Moon in 45, always cleated.

Maybe I've been luckier than I should expect, but it seems pretty easy for me to tighten the clutch just so that only a very strong jerk would pull out a little chain against the clutch, and this has not happened in 30,000 nm underway with this windlass. Come to think of it, I suppose this may also depend on how the boat rides - New Moon weighs nearly 11,000 lb loaded, and has a fairly deep-V hull.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewMoon wrote:
I have no idea how much holding power the clutch would permit when anchored - not enough. Our CD22 has anchored in 35-40 knots, and New Moon in 45, always cleated.

Maybe I've been luckier than I should expect, but it seems pretty easy for me to tighten the clutch just so that only a very strong jerk would pull out a little chain against the clutch, and this has not happened in 30,000 nm underway with this windlass. Come to think of it, I suppose this may also depend on how the boat rides - New Moon weighs nearly 11,000 lb loaded, and has a fairly deep-V hull.

Richard, I must be reading your comments wrong but these two paragraphs seem to contradict each other. In the first graf you say "always cleated." In the second graf you talk about how you adjust the clutch, which implies to me that you're not cleating it off -- otherwise why adjust the clutch for riding at anchor?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same at first, but I think he is saying he is cleated off while anchored and relies on the clutch while underway to hold the anchor at the roller?
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

In my first post I was trying to point out that we are careful to be sure we have a good set, and always cleat off when anchoring for the night (or even for a short time during the day unless it's unusually calm).

But: we have not found it necessary to cleat off or otherwise secure the anchor with anything but the windlass when underway or trailering. And we often do the initial gentle set of the anchor without cleating off.

Sorry it was confusing.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a small inconvenience to secure the anchor for trailering and when underway knowing the possible alternative consequences. Ditto, in fair weather, going forward to remove an anchor pin and set a snub line hook or tie a rolling hitch knowing that doing so helps preserve the windlass, increase anchored comfort and prevent other stated disasters.

The catch, IMHO, comes when the weather turns foul, while you are secured and set, reversing the process if you need to leave. In a blow, while the bow is awash and bucking, removing a jammed chain hook or untying a tightened rolling hitch and hanging on to secure the anchor while the rest of your ground tackle is winched aboard would not be on my list of favorite things to do. But then isn't this what makes it fun?

Aye.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
It seems a small inconvenience to secure the anchor for trailering and when underway knowing the possible alternative consequences.

I agree. I actually have two lines (plus the rode itself) securing my anchor when trailering.... just because of how awful it would be if it came loose (compared to how easy it is to secure it). Note that I don't have a windlass on the C-Dory now, but I will still secure it beyond that for travel.

Foggy wrote:
The catch, IMHO, comes when the weather turns foul, while you are secured and set, reversing the process if you need to leave. In a blow, while the bow is awash and bucking, removing a jammed chain hook or untying a tightened rolling hitch and hanging on to secure the anchor while the rest of your ground tackle is winched aboard would not be on my list of favorite things to do.

So far I have always been able to - relatively easily - either veer more rode, or (far less frequently) get underway without a problem in retrieving the ground tackle (mostly on previous boats, plus a couple times of veering more rode on the C-Dory). But, if it does become overly difficult, I am prepared to leave the anchor/rode behind, buoyed if I have the chance. Of course with a prop in the water one would need to mind the (jettisoned) rode while getting away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: