The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cantilever cockpit cover and camper back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Cantilever cockpit cover and camper back Reply with quote

Just picked up my CD-22 Commuter today with a new camper back installed.
Should have done this a long time ago! My wife and I have made some over nite trips but have always wanted a bit more room. Troy at Marine Metals in Wiliston Florida fabricated a cantilever cockpit cover for us last spring. It's a similar to the ones fabricated up near Pensacola but has a little more rounded look. It's tall enough so that none of my friends have trouble with height. Even with the Tbag that holds life jackets. I've posted some photos in the Out 2 C photo album. The camper back has lots of ventilation but not much privacy.......so I borrowed a c-brat idea and bought some shower curtains at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Seem to work well. So off to the St. John's river for another shake down cruse on Monday. The reason I went back for the camper back to Marine Metals is they did such a GREAT job on the cockpit cover. I put their card in the photos of the camper back.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cantilever cockpit cover and camper back Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Just picked up my CD-22 Commuter today with a new camper back installed.
Should have done this a long time ago! My wife and I have made some over nite trips but have always wanted a bit more room. Troy at Marine Metals in Wiliston Florida fabricated a cantilever cockpit cover for us last spring. It's a similar to the ones fabricated up near Pensacola but has a little more rounded look. It's tall enough so that none of my friends have trouble with height. Even with the Tbag that holds life jackets. I've posted some photos in the Out 2 C photo album. The camper back has lots of ventilation but not much privacy.......so I borrowed a c-brat idea and bought some shower curtains at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Seem to work well. So off to the St. John's river for another shake down cruse on Monday. The reason I went back for the camper back to Marine Metals is they did such a GREAT job on the cockpit cover. I put their card in the photos of the camper back.

Just curious what the cost of the cover ended up being?

Also, do you plan to fish with that cockpit cover? I looked into this but could not determine if it would get in the way for fighting fish due to not enough clearance overhead to raise the rod.

Would appreciate your answers.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is a sun worshiper and often tilts back the bimini to get full sun in the cockpit. Also, for fishing, we often stow the bimini. It looks to me that the metal frames bimini could frustrate someone who likes full sun when running or anchored and could interfere with fishing though not as bad as my conventional bimini if not stowed.

Thoughts?

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out 2 C - like your canvas top. So does my wife. It's almost on our 'list' now except for 2 questions. Thanks.javascript:emoticon('Confused')

Without the side curtains in place, how does that neat aluminum frame affect your passage to the bow?

And how about boarding boarding from a dock which may be high when the tide is out?

Aye.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks to me that the metal frames bimini could frustrate someone who likes full sun when running or anchored...

When anchored we disconnect it at the roof and roll it all towards the stern. Opens up the top nearly 100% and when we're done, just do the reverse.

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Price and utility Reply with quote

The price for the cockpit cover with aluminum frame was $2,500. I had some rod holders mounted on the roof and I wanted to use the same holes. The camper back was $1,800 which included some work on the berth cushion. Not cheep but great quality. I have not had any problems with my kind of fishing but then if I really want to fish out on the gulf I take my Carolina Skiff. A cover could be made shorter if you needed to.
Everyone uses a boat differently. It took me almost three years to talk my wife into the cockpit cover. She is a sun lover and with my skin cancer history I stick to the shade. With the cover we both get what we want. Lots of Sun here in Florida and some days she will move over to the shady side for a bit. Yes.....she could go into the cabin but she likes outside air flow. Just asked her if she would ever want to take off the cockpit cover.....the answer NO WAY! The neat thing about a C-dory is that you can modify it the way you want it. Still have a list of mods for the Out 2 C......will get to them one at a time.

ah more questions.
The frame makes it easier to get in the boat off the dock on all conditions. My wife calls it her "jungle gym". Lots to hold on to! We usually have our Yeti cooler on the side we board on. As far as going to the bow no problem with just the cockpit cover but have not tried to do this with the camper back on.....will let you know after I get done with the shake down cruise Tuesday.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What thickness is the vinyl--did they offer to do it in Statoglass or one of the other premium vinyls? If so what was the cost difference?

Thanks,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
I went with 30 gage vinyl. I do not plan to leave the camper back on for day trips.....only for over night trips. It is very easy to remove from the cantilever cockpit cover. The boat is stored inside my airplane hanger except for days we are Out 2 C. Never asked for a price on Stratoglass. My 20 gage vinyl on my golf cart is over 10 years old and still looks great. I am hoping it will last at long as I do.....only time will tell.

Out 2 C......Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note.....We have been using our camper back for a while now and love it as much as when new. The only thing we changed was to add roll up straps to the side panels aft of the doors. This makes it nicer when rafiting with other C-brats. Laughing

All the best......

Tom Schulke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: