The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Claw Anchor Trade?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Claw Anchor Trade? Reply with quote

Our boat came with a 7.5 kg, 16.5lb "bruce" style claw anchor but the bow roller is really undersized for it. I would like to simply trade for the next size smaller which looses a couple of inches in length depending on the brand. I will triple my chain length to make up for it and I think we will be fine for a 19.

So, I am looking to give you a 7.5 kg, 16.5lb "bruce" style claw anchor....if you can give me a 5kg 11lb claw anchor of any brand in useful condition.

Let me know in this thread or a PM if you are interested. We will be attending the Seattle gathering which could be a good time to swap if you are attending as well! I would rather not ship it for obvious reasons but an otherwise local meet and swap would be ideal. We get around often so anywhere puget sound-ish could work for us.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Greg. No anchor to trade but nice to see you guys are once again boat owners.

Glad you guys are still hanging out w/ us old(er) folks!

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Anchor Guide Reply with quote

Hi Greg I bought an anchor to large as well for the guide so I went to a metal fab shop and for a reasonale price they made one out of stainlass.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Claw Anchor Trade ? Reply with quote

Don't want to butt in, but gee, an 11lb anchor seems awfully small for over nighting even with the extra chain. Changing the bow roller is more work and expense but could give you a better night's sleep.

Martin.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a 4.4lb claw anchor for the last couple of years on our 17ft dayboat with 15ft of oversize chain and that combo has been surprisingly solid overnight while we camp on shore. After only a few years and about about 75 nights of anchoring experience, plus reading all the info I can get my hands on; I feel like the chain rode lends a great deal of help to whatever hunk of metal you hang off the end of the rode. On our 25 we used the same size anchor that I now have on the 19 and we used it with 50ft of chain with great success. I think the 11lb is more than adequate for the much lighter 19 and will sleep better with by adding about 25ft of chain to the 10ft on there currently. I also carry a small kettle weight to add if I feel the need. I carry a little 2.2lb claw with 5ft of large chain on a 50ft anchor buddy as well and have found that to be a nice combo dropped off the stern once the main anchor is set to minimize movement close to shore.

I really don't have a need for the current 7.5kg anchor and won't carry it as a spare either. There must be someone out there with a 5kg who wouldn't mind a free swap to the 7.5kg unit. I will drive it to you in the puget sound area!

Greg
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
I feel like the chain rode lends a great deal of help to whatever hunk of metal you hang off the end of the rode.

I agree. When I was in the tropics, with the clear water, sand, and constant snorkeling, it was easy to watch the anchor rode and see how it worked in various conditions. The chain was really the worker bee!

I still prefer a heftyish anchor for my own peace of mind, if possible, but I think a lot of that is just from "habit." I had to "force" myself to get the 15# Supreme instead of the 25# one. Knowing that Sam on his 22 had spent so many nights swinging successfully to his 15-er helped (he also had a decent length of chain).

Too, a lot depends on anchoring ground and boating habits. You could just about throw a teacup on a string over in some spots on the Chesapeake - super sheltered, shallow, and good sticky mud Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: