The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mechanical Steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Mechanical Steering Reply with quote

I got good news and bad news. The good news is my stiff, and nearly frozen, steering was due to crud inside the tilt tube or steering tube or whatever you call it. The cable is free as can be. The bad news is, I'm waiting another season before upgrading to hydraulic steering. It's a money thing.

About that tube. It is the hollow tube with threaded ends upon which the motor tilts. The steering cable nut attaches to one side. When I got the cable out, finally, there was some pretty stiff crud packed around it in the tube. I cleaned and polished everything, including the bore of the tube, and put it back together with some grease on all the moving parts. I was surprised to see that the grease zerks for the tilt pivot did not feed a little grease into the tube as well. I expected to find a hole or two to allow the grease to get in and lube the cable mechanism. If the only grease that the sliding cable end gets is what I smeared on there, then it is probably best to pull the cable out more frequently than once a year. Is there some way to freshen the grease in there that I am missing? I also figured there should be some lip seals or wipers of some sort, but the ends of the tube are open to the elements. Weird. Who invented this stuff?

She spins easy now. I can go lock to lock with one finger spinning a spoke of the wheel.

Mike

Mike,

There is a seal on the port end of the tilt tube; the starboard end is covered by the cable nut.

Honda’s main concern regarding the tilt tube zerk fittings (from a manufacturer’s standpoint) is that the tilt tube itself is lubricated so that there isn’t an issue with the motor tilting (or not). Maintenance on the cable is up to the owner (or his/her mechanic). Remember, Honda has no idea what kind of steering is going to be used on the engine; if it is hydraulic there is a solid stainless shaft going through the tilt tube, if the engine is one of a pair (as on the TomCat) there isn’t anything going through the tilt tube and having grease feeding in there wouldn’t be a good thing.
Les

Aha! I don't have one of them seals. It must be housed in a nut of some sort that threads onto the port end of the tube? I'll take a look at the local marine store. It seems I saw some nuts on the rack with a little zerk fitting in them. Would that be the deal?

Thanks, Les. It really bugged me to see the one end of that tube without any protection.

Mike

Mike,

The big nut on the port side has an o-ring inside it; there aren’t any exposed threads on which to mount one of those nuts with zerk fittings. One end is not unprotected.

Les
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Teleflex cable system on our 2003 Cruiser, powered by a Honda 90. The CDory Owners Manual, page 6, Steering System, states as follows: "Keep all moving parts clean and free from build up of salt and other foreign material. This will affect their operation and create steering problems. Pay particular attention to the hinge tube of the outboard. Periodically remove the cable from the tube and clean and re-lubricate it with waterproof grease."

I think I can figure this out from previous posts, but want to be sure what the procedure is. Do you remove the outboard nut on the starboard side of the motor mount, then (somehow) get the cable loose (how?), dig out the old grease from the tube, repack, and reassemble? Any tricks here I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
I just wanted to resurrect an old thread to do some annual maintenance to my steering system. I want to pose the questions that "Almas Only" requested back in 2004. Anyone with advise and procedures on how to conduct maintainance on Teleflex NFB mechanical steering systems would be appreciated.

Grazer
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4-L_VaKBLM&autoplay=1&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253Db4-L_VaKBLM%2526autoplay%253D1

I have not had Mechanical steering since I was a kid (they had not invented hydraulics at that time). Hope this video will help! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Captain's Cat. Seen that video, but it doesn't detail the actual disassembly or other procedures. On another note, I did find a detailed procedure on mechanical steering maintenance from Alma's Only found here
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=3032&sid=d461949b6d5910adc3e958871cb0f051

Thanks,
Grazer
Almas Only

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=OutboardsandSystems&id=Steering_Lube_01&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

See foregoing, which is the first of a set of photos that show the process. Let me know if you have questions. I'll send the Honda part number for the o-ring separately.
Almas Only

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering shaft/tube o-ring is Honda PN 91352-ZV5-000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: