State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
thataway wrote:
The assumption is being made that some of the C Dorys are not self bailing. Although this may be true when the boat is at a low speed, or still in the water, once the boat is up on a plane, the water will drain out. <stuff clipped>
True for the 25, 26 Venture and Tomcat. None of the 22's are self bailing (unless you count getting on plane and pulling the plug).

Absolutely true--the 22 has no sealed off floor. But the older 25's are not going to be really self bailing. They had scuppers in the transom, with a stepped down notch in the floor--however, the cockpit floor hatches leak enough that with much water in the cockpit it would soon be in the bilge.

Even with our older 25 (2003) loaded for a month cruising in AK there was never an issue with water coming into the cockpit thru the scuppers.

Although any of the C Dory's can be made self bailing with sealing the floor, and raising it well beyond the waterline, and filling in space on the sides--and aft--making a smaller and higher cockpit--with all of the negatives of that--there is still the cabin door --where water can get into the cabin, since few of these doors really seal well. There would have to be a high sill for the cabin.

The boats are seaworthy because they do lift rapidly when a sea comes from aft--but are still susceptible to breaking waves. I recollect that one of the Alaska boats was pooped and took a lot of water in the cockpit in rough conditions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
16Pounder

City/Region: Gallipolis
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: 16Pounder
Photos: 16Pounder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my boat a long time ago, I had heard that they would be self draining if you drove around with the plug out. I launched my boat one day at the Washington Park boat ramp and started to tie it up when a guy on the dock offered to just hold it for me while I parked the truck. I said OK and parked the truck. When I got back to the dock the guy handed me the rope and I thanked him and started to get in. I had unfortunately neglected to put in the plug so it had about 4" of water in it. No problem I thought, I'll just drive around and the water will run out. After driving around for about 10 minutes, I could tell the boat was not going to drain, at least not any time soon. So I stopped driving around, grabbed the plug, stuck it in, and started bailing.
The problem I had was getting on plane. All the water runs to the back of the boat making it very difficult to get on plane if not impossible. Then the drain hole is so small it would take a long time to drain the water out. As they say, the devil is in the details.
So I would not consider the 16 foot C-dory to have the ability to self drain unless there is a very small amount of water in it. I don't know how the 22' boat would react but at some point if there is too much water in the boat before you try to get on plane, you may not be able to drain it.

Al
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the canvas to help reduce water in cockpit.
I never plan on heading out in storms but that doesn't mean I will never get caught in one! Last summer I crossed the Georgia Strait in choppy water. My bilge pump was not working properly at the time and I was amazed how much water came into my cockpit from waves hitting me on the port side. I'm talking about many gallons!
I have a new manual pump, I'm replacing my old electric with a new Rule 1100 with a separate automatic float valve switch, and I'm going to inquire about a canvas now too.
Thanks again for this conversation.

1988 22' Angler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: