The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cold weather protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Cold weather protection Reply with quote

Hi kids. I'm wondering, do any of you boys use the salt away engine wash out system to introduce anti-freeze into the water jacket of your outboard motors in preparation for freezing weather or winter storage in colder areas? Or is there another method? Vern
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather protection Reply with quote

nordicstallion wrote:
Hi kids. I'm wondering, do any of you boys use the salt away engine wash out system to introduce anti-freeze into the water jacket of your outboard motors in preparation for freezing weather or winter storage in colder areas? Or is there another method? Vern

Vern-

I've never heard of using antifreeze in an outboard.

It's best just to completely drain the entire motor, and store it out of the water. (The motor will completely drain if stored upright out of the water.)

If you have to leave the boat in the water, there are two choices (according to traditional thought):

1. Tilt the motor up. However, there may be some remaining water in the lower unit, depending on the design. If it freezes, it could cause serious damage. So...

2. Leave the motor down, so that the water (as long as it doesn't freeze) keeps the lower unit warm and unfrozen. (The upper powerhead should drain, leaving it invulnerable.) However, if the water (lake) freezes, all bets on your lower unit are off!

I suppose one could tilt the motor up then blow out the motor and lower unit with compressed air (if available), but this may prove impractical on a repeated basis.

If antifreeze were to be used, then the powerhead and lower unit would have to be sealed somehow to keep it in and undiluted, I'd suppose.

Let's see what others say……..

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion might just also serve as a reminder to those who have outboards tilted up on boats stored out of the water that may have never had a chance to completely drain, to lower the unit and allow it to drain completely.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the motor is drained before tilting it up, it possible for water to collect in the lower unit exhaust ducting if the motor remains tilted up for long periods in areas where there is snow or rain. If this water freezes it could damage the lower unit or the hub. My Honda 90 has a nice big cup on the back of the prop that would be good for collecting water.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Cold weather protection Reply with quote

Heading south seems like a better plan. We spend our coldest month which is February down in the Florida keys. I don't think Key West has ever gone below 40 degrees. I would recommend that you change your oil in your lower unit on your motor. Discarded fishing line that you don't know about can raise hell with the prop shaft seal and if you have water intrusion in the lower unit. It could freeze and break the case we have seen this happen in Pa. Happy Winter
D.D. Mr. Green

nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses boys, I lowered both motors, put a light between them & swaddled them like newborn babies. That should do it. I wasn't sure if there would still be nooks & crannies in them that would still harbor pockets of water.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat is in California I take it? Pampered for sure. We just drop them all the way and leave them if on the trailer. I like the idea of getting south. At least San Padre or Key West.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
I like the idea of getting south.

Just looking at the forecast for the next few days Shocked You have to get REALLY far south! Going to be setting some records in Cali and the SW (and maybe other places). Pretty nippy for early December in those parts.

I had to laugh today: I went into a West Marine to pick up a gallon of RV anti-freeze (pink stuff). Where I'm from there would be pallets of the stuff sitting around. They had two bottles on the shelf (and not because there had been a "run" on it, either). Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: