The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

POWER ALTERNATIVES FOR 22 CRUISER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sitter

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: POWER ALTERNATIVES FOR 22 CRUISER Reply with quote

I am considering buying a used / new 22 Cruiser (have been thinking about C-D since visitng factory in 1984). Am Cruiser more than fisherman. Have had bigger boats 26 Tolly 32 Tolly, but now need reliable (twins) transit across Georgia Strait & North to Desolation Sound islands. Wondering about power combinations. Want cruise at/above 18 knots plus good emergency weather speed. Thinking twin Honda 50s or 70s.
Anyone to comment on price vs performance for these two or suggested need for larger engines (i.e.90s)

Bill S
Vancouver, BC
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

Welcome to the forum! We hope you can locate a suitable C-Dory and can visit with us frequently. This is a great group of friendly folks!

The two 50's will push the 22 as fast as safely possible, especially in any kind of chop. You'll get about 30-32 mph max with the 50's in relatively flat water. There are performance tables on the C-Dory factory's website.

C-Dory's maximum power recommendation is for 100 total hp. Most all marine dealers won't mount more than that on the boat for fear of liability issues, even though (as I understand it), there's no Coast Guard or other absolute maximum horsepower rating that can be defined and would result in a citation and fine.

Your insurance company would be another matter. If you choose to mount more than the maximum manufacturer recommended hp, you may have to do so yourself and deal with the insurance company sooner or later.

Other's will add their $0.02, I'm sure. Welcome aboard! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

One more thought and after thought:

Be sure you've read all the discussion on the best dual outboard alternatives for a CD-22 here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=2105

*****************AFTER THOUGHT:*******************

We actually did more or less conclude that a pair of 60's would be a nice combo in that a single surviving engine would still plane the boat, whereas a single 50 doesn't seem to be able to do the job under most circumstances. Now we're back to the max recommended hp dilemma!!! Joe.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the archives Les explained the torque curves between the Honda 40 and 50 HP motors. The 40 HP motors were more favorable in a twin scenerio. Ehen I repowered I wanted to go that route but with my dual helm it would have been very cost prohibitive to do so at a time when I could not really afford the motor anyway.
I am more than pleased with my new 4 stroke Suzuki. With my old 2 stroke 75 I was forced to depend on my kicker, an 8 HP Honda. That motor has saved my bacon no fewer than 3 times, once 8 miles out into the Pacific in building seas.
I like only having the single motor for fishing and having the kicker up is extra insurance in case I hit a log or something else that takes out my prop or lower unit.
I don't mean to murk up the water but I thought you might want to hear from someone who has had to rely on their backup motor in less than favorable conditions.
Feel free to ask questions...

Ray

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Bill Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Guys.
I'm still looking for more specs on twins - will check the 40s.

Rays comments about being stuck offshore on the ocean are my exact concerns,when going down to this size of vessel. The C-Dory hull shape was what always attracted me to the vessel for possible use in the ocean. Have had other deep Vs (SeaRays) on lakes, before moving to the coast.

I first thought of the CD as my ideal dive boat. I drove down to Marben plant, then in Kent WA in the early 80s & met the Tolands (Roy & Mark). Hearing about their ocean trips to Alaska & following some of the ocean trips on this C-brats site, I think this little boat could provide some economical & safe Gunkholing fun, as well as offer the flexibility & trailering capability that the Tollys couldn't.
Can a CD operate in small craft warning seas?
Does Merle Haggard still live on lake Shasta?
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Does Merle Haggard still live on lake Shasta?"

You betcha'. Right above the Silverthorn Resort he owns.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but old Merle don't get invited to the Clark County Fair no more.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sitter wrote:

Can a CD operate in small craft warning seas?

Can and has - but "small craft warning" conditions can vary widely so like any other boat, you need to know the limits of both the boat and the operators. The worst conditions I've operated in include:
8' swells with 2-3' of wind waves on top at Sekiu - probably 20-25kt winds.
8-10' swells with some very confused seas at the buoy just N of Tatoosh (I wound up turning around and cutting through a much smoother hole-in-the-wall) and
max current against the tides at Deception Pass with the down riggers out - my first year with the boat when I didn't know any better.

In all cases, the boat did fine and I never felt we were in any real danger. In general, I find the boat can take way more than I can stand so I let my back and my stomach (or those of my guests) provide the operating limits. Typically, this is a lower limit than many small craft advisories.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been caught in 14 foot combined seas when I had to buck North against the swell and the current and the wind. It was not fun but after I slowed down I was one of the fast boats returning to port. I had one wave actually break all the way over the windshield. It felt like it pushed the boat backwards. I was glad the windows held. That instance was a bit un-nerving but I never felt like I was in danger. The boat handled it better than I did.
A couple weeks ago I departed with a forecast of 2 and 4 at 8 seconds degrading to 4 and 4 at 8 seconds in the afternoon. About 28 miles out the ocean really kicked up and I found myself in 10 to 14 foot swells at 8 seconds with about a 2 foot wind chop. It wasn't pleasant but I was able to make the turn and head for home. Wouldn't you know it, about 6 miles into the return trip the ocean turned into a lake. Hardly a swell or wind wave. I felt it was the eye of a storm and decided to call the trip after trolling for about an hour for Salmon with no luck.
My boat never ceases to amaze me. I do not push my luck or go out when the conditions are bad but I have been caught out in them and have been able to handle the situation and get back to port alright. So long as you keep your departure and return ratio equal to one you are doing great. I love my boat and have never second guessed my decision in buying it.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
So long as you keep your departure and return ratio equal to one you are doing great.

Yes - but even a slight deviation from 1 is bad..... Laughing
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin 40's are a popular and efficient way to go. The 50 Hp Honda is the same engine as the 40 hp with some carb, camshaft & valve changes that give a higher peak HP rating at higher RPM. Twin 60's would provide some serious HP but I think the weight would be a bit excessive. With the 60 hp engines you're getting into a larger 4 cylinder engine with bigger, heavier, everything.

These boats are the definition of a trailerable, gunkholing, fun machine Smile biggest little boat out there.........and fuel miserly

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: E-TEC Reply with quote

Can't blame you for wanting some reserve power. Sounds like the E-TEC 60 might be what you need. Light weight, compact design and should be comparable to a 4 stroke or better in every way. Just top off the oil tank and change gear oil once a year is about the only mantenance. Can run without a battery using magnetos. Cutting edge technology in every way. Study up on the design/specs and let us know what you think?

http://www.jetsmarivent.com/phtml/index.phtml

Bill Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Guys provide some great information.

I doubt I would ever go offshore 28 miles in a 22 footer, but, as I suspected, it sounds like the boat will take more than me.

In 89 I did the coast run past northern Oregon & Washington, up to Vancouver BC, from the Kelso/Longview Tolly factory in a new 32 Tolly. After the shock of "falling off" the end of the Columbia River, the trip hit some 6' to 8' swells and that got my attention in that boat with a 12 foot beam & twin 350s.

Does anyone have some experience to share regarding "DOWNSIZING"?

I.e. I went from 17 - 20 ft SeaRay runabouts to the 3 "Command Bridge" style, 26 - 32 ft. Tolly ocean boats. I have had to go a decade without a boat which is killing me. Now in my late fifties, I can see my way clear for some pleasure investment, but think I want to avoid the moorage, gas, maintenance & non-flexibilty of a big boat. However, wonder if I will miss the indoor liveability etc. of the bigger boats .
thanks
Bill
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been living aboard our CD-22 for much of the past five years and certainly don't miss the 'liveability of larger boats.' Quite the contrary -- larger boats are harder to trailer and launch, are more expensive to maintain and run, require more water, and many larger boats simply aren't as well-built and seaworthy -- and all they have is more interior space.
Check out our website at www.geocities.com/bill_fiero if you want to see how liveable we consider our Halcyon to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: