The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Portable engine flush and boat wash down water system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Portable engine flush and boat wash down water system Reply with quote

Hi,
Does any body know of a way that I could store water and use a pump to supply a garden hose to flush my engines and wash the boat? I would like it to be portable so I can do it from the back of my pickup truck. I would have to carry a water tank in the truck also. Thanks,
Scott on Lil' Rascal
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Portable engine flush and boat wash down water system Reply with quote

Our boat has a 20 gallon water tank with an on demand pump for our sink and hot water heater. I added a T in the line and installed a hose spigot with in the cockpit. I just hook up a hose to the spigot turn on the pump and use the fresh water for a motor flush and to spray down the boat, brakes and wipe off the scum line before it hardens up like Kryptonite. This also has a side benefit as it lightens up the boat for trailering. I guess you could add a water tank to your truck ad install a 12vdc wash down pump getting power from your trailer plug socket and just hook up a spigot for a hose connection and wala wash down. Adding the on demand wash down pump to the boat would serve both the wash down problem but you would have on demand water with no foot pump. Also makes winterizing the water system a little easier by using the on demand wash down pump to rv antifreeze in or out of the system.
D.D.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Portable engine flush and boat wash down water system Reply with quote

The fresh water spigot next to boat hook. Fresh water fill up on the walkway/gunnel. A raw water wash down has black cover and the raw water wash down switch is above it just to the right. We use a Flowjet 4405 pump for the fresh water system. We purchased it from Defender Marine their part number 500664 currently $117.99. Happy Days
Smile
D.D.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Portable engine flush and boat wash down water system Reply with quote

My boat also has a hose fitting and a pump connected to the fresh water tank. This allows the fresh water to be used as a washdown. I tried using it as a flush for the motor, but the pump does not generate enough pressure to flush the engine well. I am planning on redoing the fresh water system next year when I will add a stronger pump.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a large garden sprayer, have used "Saltaway" in it with water for the engine. Can also use a smaller garden sprayer for washing down the boat. No electric pumps involved. Also use the smaller garden sprayer to wash down our feet when coming aboard, if there has been mud or excessive sand.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't quite what you were looking for, but you might consider a flush bag. Here's a link to a thread that discusses it. Works well for us, just make sure that you get one big enough for your engine, particularly true if you have a Permatrim.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=108400&highlight=

I agree with Dr Bob regarding Saltaway.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue with the flush bag, is that you have to have a water source to replace the water which is pushed out of the bag as the engine runs (exhaust), or be sure that the water does not overheat. Thus you will still only have a very short time to run the engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: