The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Winterize fresh water system
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Another downside to the alcohol antifreeze is that alcohol is flammable and burns with a nearly colorless flame.

From Wikipedia - An ethanol-water solution that contains 40% ABV (alcohol by volume) will catch fire if heated to about 26 °C (79 °F) and if an ignition source is applied to it. This is called its flash point. The flash point of pure ethanol is 16.60 °C (61.88 °F), less than average room temperature.

So, once things warm back up sparks from any source (like a pump that wasn't designed to pump flammable liquids or the wallace stove), could set the water/ethanol solution on fire.

Thanks Roger, that's a pretty significant downside I hadn't thought of. Preventing a funky flavor in the tank is not worth risking setting your boat on fire! My tank already tastes so terrible the red antifreeze would be an improvement I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: