The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Compass Location?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to find is a good sized (readable) compass I could hang below the electronic shelf on the right side. But, I haven't noticed one designed for this type of installation. Perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction? Seems to me this location would almost be in the line of sight which I think is important and likely, far enough away from the typical sources of interference.

Tim
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking a bit for compasses that can be mounted under a shelf and haven't found any designed that way. I don't see why one couldn't use a bulk head mount type and fabricate a bracket either out of wood or aluminum though.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Last edited by rogerbum on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my compass mounted to the overhead. I could have mounted it under the shelf but did not want it right under the radio. I did have to make an angled pice of wood for mounting but was not much work. The wood makes it level and the mounting bracket is screwed to it. Stuck the wood up with 4200.
I will try to get some pics up by this weekend.
Steve
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though admitedly somewhat unconventional (the story of my life...), I mounted a Ritchie Helmsman on the bulkhead below my right (er, starboard) knee while sitting at the helm. I did so because of electrical interference higher up. I find I don't use the compass a lot, but when I want to, all it requires is a quick glance down to get the approximate bearing and this location puts the compass more directly in line with my point of view than one placed on the dash in the center of the boat. Perhaps not ideal, but we do what we can with limited space.
Al

SeaSpray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I took some pics and added them to my album. Page three has pics of my compass. I take it out of the bracket for trailering and put it in a nice bag that came with it ( forgot to remove it last time and it was just fine).

I have only been out once since installing it but it seemed to not be affected by the electronics and is easy to see.

Steve
True Story

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Moose. I also put my compass on the side of the wall that I write with although I'd ultimately prefer not to have to look down to read it. I get a similar sensation when taking my eyes off the road to use my cell phone in the truck.
True Story

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sea Bran for the photos. Nice install job. That might just be the ticket for me. Tim
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seabran,
This doesn't have anything to do with your compass, but I noticed that on your undersink photo, you don't have any insulation on the Wallas exhaust pipe. When I bought my boat used it didn't have it either. I would have thought that it was standard equipment? Anyway I ordered a short section from Scan Marine in Seattle. That pipe gets pretty hot and if something under the sink rests against it-could melt it.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I agree with the heretic here...the only way we are going to get into trouble with our chartplotter / handheld backup GPS combo is if the government turns the satellites off. We HAVE paper charts, and took the Power Squadron course - the problem we soon found with traditional coast piloting techniques is, you have to know where you are to figure out where you are going. This can be tough until you have acquired enough time to recognize what you are seeing on shore, and even then, as Austin observed, one island looks pretty much like another (except Speiden, I can always recognize Speiden!) Nope, we are firmly planted with both feet in the satellite age! And I can make change by counting up in my head, too!

El and Bill wrote:
Sorry to sound like a heretic -- and I know this could spark a rather heated discussion -- but why do you need to mount a magnetic compass? My chartplotter has one built in, more accurate than magnetic. My hand-held GPS has an excellent compass for backup. And then, I carry a little handheld sighting compass for backup or shooting sights (something the mounted magnetic compass has trouble doing, without swinging the boat). My binoculars also have a sighting compass. So, why mount that old-fashioned, next to worthless, probably not accurate, big ol' thing on your dash? ... unless you like that historic look on your boat?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you don't have to compensate for tide too much in Spokane! Seriously, trying to follow a heading on a compass in the fog, with wind and tide? Nope, give me a good GPS route to follow...also, I don't troll, so that is a non-factor.

On the "no GPS heading info when going slow" there is a solution, in fact it might be a necessity - either an electronic compass or an autopilot hooked up to your chartplotter for fast heading update (Les recommends one or the other with every C80 system). We opted not to get the electronic compass, since I have since seen the light on the necessity of the autopilot (sorry, Bill!) and am just gathering another two BOAT units...

CAVU wrote:
I don't have radar and have a very minimal GPS but with my compass I can navigate very precisely.
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While these fluxgate compasses may be more accurate, they are not immune to this mounting location problem. My fluxgate and heading sensor are mounted on the bulkhead under the Wallas --- probably one of the best locations to mount these EXCEPT when you store canned goods in the galley cabinet. A storage bin in the galley cabinet containing a couple of canned goods slid aft while underway and caused the fluxgate to be off by a little over 20 degrees. When it occurred to me what was going on I moved the offending bin and everything returned to normal. But since that time I have had problems with the compass being off --- I think that I will need to recalibrate the compass.

Corwin
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
I have tried to keep plastic stuff from getting up against the exit pipe but had no idea you could insulate it. Is there a pic somewhere that shows this - what do you use to insulate it?

Nice looking folding steps!

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: