View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: propane refrigeration Reply with quote

Has there been any discussion on this site, or others you have visited, that discussed having propane refrigeration. I know there are some obvious problems, like heel, but I also know there are quite a few world cruising sailboats out there that do use it successfully. C-Dorys have limited heel in cruising mode, unlike sailboats.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (like many cruisers) always been nervous about propane on a boat -- heavier than air, if there is a leak in a line, propane sinks to the bilge or low point of the cabin/cockpit where any spark (like a bilge pump) can create an impressive explosion. We saw one once, it wasn't pretty, and that made a believer of us.
I think the tank could be properly vented, but any lines into the cabin would be vulnerable. Not to say it couldn't be properly installed, but be careful!

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a unit like this installed on a small cruiser, but if they're similar to the ones used on RVs and houseboats, fitting them inside the boat might be quite difficult.

The propane refrigerators seem to take quite a bit of room up with their top units where heat is vented well above the body of the refrigerator. This structure must extend through the cabin roof as well. Then too, the flame unit has to be near the bottom of the cold box, which could make servicing a bit difficult, whereas in an RV or houseboat, it can be serviced from outside the outer wall.

To fit such a unit to a small cruiser, it would be best to place it at the end of the cabin just in front of the cabin bulkhead with the lower flame access door at the bottom of the bulkhead and through the cockpit.

On a boat the size of a C-Dory, one could set it up as a stand alone unit outside in the cockpit and attached to the cabin bulkhead. This would simplify the placement engineering and move the propane leak hazard out of the cabin and into the open cockpit.

The C-Dory Do It Yourself Custom Pocket Yacht: So many wonderful gizmos and so little space! Think Twice before you slice!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cooler holds a block of ice for five days, which is longer than we can usually go without fuel (and an ice refill). A dometic refrig. (best price I could find for a little one that might fit on a boat) costs $440. A block of ice costs about $1.50. For us, the cost/benefit ratio is clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: