The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

nc loop info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carolina Sturgeon

City/Region: Columbia
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: nc loop info Reply with quote

I know many of you have done the loop and several times and I was wondering what the standard route has been and what marinas have folks stayed at or anchorages along the way. I know it depends on where you put in, but any info would be helpful.

I know the route and have the brochure, but wanted to really know where people stay and what the point to point route is typical.

I was also wanted to know what is the best map guidebook is best for NC and SC as I live in Columbia SC and there is lots of coastline along the states to explore.
shellndanm

City/Region: Chesterfield
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linda M
Photos: Linda M
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Carolina Loop Reply with quote

I would suggest staying at Coinjock marina on the intracoastal waterway portion, Elizabeth city public marina prior to entering the dismal swamp. If you are looking at the docks from the water, there are smaller berths to the right that you be better to tie up a c-dory. If you wanted to make it a 4 day trip, folks stay at the Dismal swamp Welcome Center in the middle of the canal. Just prior to the northern dismal swamp lock, there is a nice mexican restaurant that abuts a long concrete bulkhead that you can tie up to. I would recommend stopping one night in Norfolk at Waterside Marina(Mile marker 0 for the intracoastal waterway). Watching the commercial and naval maritime traffic as well as a cruise ship makes Norfolk an incredible boating destination.

The dismal swamp canal will test your patience, it is a long and slow ride at 5.5 knots. The Carolina loop is a must do for any boater though. I'm relatively new to the site, but I think there is a group of c-brats that do the Carolina loop in the spring or summer?

Lock times/schedule will sometimes vary for maintenance and drought, so check the schedules before leaving. Good luck.
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Carolina Loop Reply with quote

We did the loop from Great Bridge in Chesapeake in 3days. We stayed at Coinjock first night, liked marina and restaurant; then at the Pelican Marina in Elizabeth City second night. Very simple, by highway, a walk to town, but it was fine. that town is very "sleepy", has great potential though.
We found the Dismal lock keepers to be flexible - they were not busy and we were late but they opened for us. Great trip. Waterside in Norfolk is also good- you can walk around downtown or take the ferry to Portsmouth - tons on restaurants both places.
Have fun
And yes that's a long slow ride through the great dismal. But nice!

Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on Carolina Loop and you will find details on where we launched and our route. We may do it again this coming spring 2014, but I do not know what other are thinking. It is a great trip about 130 miles and 4 days allows one to enjoy the scenery. If you have addional questions please send me a PM and I will be glad to provide answers if I can.

Dick Clagett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: