View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Green laser saves lost diver off O'ahu Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder what "brand" this laser is:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23862190/green-laser-leads-to-rescue-of-oahu-diver

localboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it:

http://shop.z-bolt.com/SCUBA-1-Underwater-Scuba-Green-Laser-Pointer.html

For $88 it would be a nice addition to the ditch bag.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly good that he had the laser, but it would seem that he broke a cardinal rule of diving--that is to stay with his partner. On the other hand, there was a boat--why didn't the partner go to get him with the boat immediately. (I understand that in a short hand operation--there was not a boat driver--but again, another rule of diving--someone stays with the boat. What about communication under water. (example underwater buddy call--not expensive)

A number of years back, I was involved with safety regulations for dive boats in S. Calif. A couple of the required rules we came up with were an underwater signal device to alert all divers if there was an incident. All boats were required to have a rescue craft available. The issue was that if any divers were separated from the main boat, and could not swim back against current, the rescue boat could rescue them.

There is a major problem with folks shining the green lasers at aircraft. There has been a threat of CG limiting rescue missions because of this issue (South Carolina).

In many ways it would have been better to have a PLB--but the issue with a PLB is to what depth is it waterproof. There is the SafeLink PLB with aluminum canister designed to be used by divers to 500 feet. There are several other canisters for PLB.

There is the "Sea Marshall", but it is only a 121.5 Mhz (not 406, the satellite frequency).

Several strobe lights are certified to 200 M depth.

Radar transponders, and radar flags are also touted as being rescue aids.

Glad the diver was found--and a very dangerous situation did not not go to a loss of life.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Certainly good that he had the laser, but it would seem that he broke a cardinal rule of diving--that is to stay with his partner.

I have only dove in puget sound and it seems like if I'm not holding on to my partners foot I can't see him! one of the reasons I quit diving (hope to get back into it) is because my only dive partner would not pay attention to where his dive partners were or dive deeper than planned. my first concern was always staying with my partner.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a laser that he cares with him. He can burn wood with it at 3 ft and it has a 10 mile range. You can see the laser beam from the side at night and in the fog its like a light-saber from star wars only a miles long. he bought it online from a Chinese out fit than needs a new translator. They called the model "Uranus fire" I have no idea what they were going for but its funny as hell. It's the size of a medium size flash light but was a couple of hundred buck a few years ago.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lasers make good sense as far as visibility goes, and I doubt there is much question as to the possibility of eye damage. They will out shine and out distance any of the USCG required/approved devices we are carrying now. The flare is non flammable and non explosive, long er shelf life and requires less storage space.

Pros and cons. Everything is a compromise of some sort.

Will they be approved for carry on board? Could they save a life? Is it worth it to carry them....... in the ditch bag? on the PFD?

More questions than answers.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there have been several attempts to get laser signal devices approved--and that has not happened so far.

The strobe or SOS light is also a distress signal, which does not risk eye injury. How many folks on the water are going to recognize a green laser as a distress. Yes, if there is a search underway, but if you were just cruising along, I would be less than likely to investigate a green laser--especially because of the danger of eye damage, and wondering if there was a prank. I would be more likely ot investigate a strobe, or SOS....
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

You are right on the green laser. I probably would not go looking for that source either, unless, like you said, an active search was underway.

The strobe or SOS light, more likely, again especially if there is a search underway. Hava a suspicion that most people on the water would not know SOS from OSO, BUT the repeated pattern SHOULD increase suspicion and investigation...

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Lasers Reply with quote

I carry a "Rescue Laser". It's a red laser a little smaller than a pack of Lifesavers. Typical twist on-off, lithium battery, red beam. They also had them available with a green laser. They have a fan like beam that the instructions say should be aimed at passing search planes/helicopters, supposedly won't harm pilots retinae. Also works quite well to illuminate reflective surfaces at a distance, pfd reflectors etc. I haven't looked at the beam from a distance, and don't intend to. Some jerk flashed me with a red laser pointer for a split second while I was driving once and it was extremely intense and shockingly distracting. The beam is supposed to fan out to an incredibly wide band that narrows back to the source so pin point accuracy isn't needed. I've had it for a number of years and should probably get it out and play with it. I saw some for sale here in Alaska just the other day.
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Laser Reply with quote

I just Googled them. Www.greatlandlaser.com.
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I only brought this up due to the story. I realize it is somewhat controversial and I would never shine one directly at a rescue aircraft or boat.

That said, it seems to be a very effective/simple tool, should the need arise; I mean s*#t hitting the fan need arise. We have strobes on our PFDs but something that is visible for miles, does not need pyro-technics and the obvious fire/burn hazard to work and is small, simple and relatively inexpensive could be of use, IF the need ever arose.

My & M's lives are worth $90 and I'm sure the CG, or whomever, would not have an issue with a device like this if used properly and only when required based on the totality of the circumstances (as evidenced by this story).
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When rescue lasers came out in the late 90's, I had an opportunity to visit with the CG rescue group at Air Station Kodiak. I was instructing aircraft crash survival courses and wanted to know the facts. They said that with night vision goggles a laser was easily visible at 15 miles and an excellent survival tool.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a rescue laser count as a visual signaling device per the required emergency equipment? $90 is less than the cost for two flare sets for something that doesn't expire, is not a fire hazard, and is waterproof.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you access the link that Doc referenced you will see that in February 2012 the U.S. Congress passed into law H.R. 268 that exempts " an individual using a laser emergency signaling device to send an emergency distress signal". The write up about this goes on to say that includes shining at aircraft.
C-Brat #16
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Would a rescue laser count as a visual signaling device per the required emergency equipment? $90 is less than the cost for two flare sets for something that doesn't expire, is not a fire hazard, and is waterproof.

Here is Boat US assessment of the Greatland Product:
The Greatland Lasers are high powered rescue devices that have an incredible range of 20 – 30 miles in ideal conditions. The presentation laser pointers with which you might be familiar, focus their laser beam into a small dot—while the Greatland products focus the beam into a linear shape. At a close distance the beam is only a few inches wide but at a ¼ mile the beam grows to several feet in width. The linear shape enables the user to sweep the beam (held vertically) back and forth across the intended target.

"We found this product to be heavily affected by the atmospheric conditions during our night testing and difficult to see at all during our day test. With a half moon and the glow of an urban sky, the red Greatland Rescue Laser Flare Magnum proved to be much more difficult to see than the Greatland Green Rescue Laser Flare. Aiming both of the lasers proved difficult due to the ¼ mile testing distance as even a moderate amount of ‘sweeping motion’ by the tester made it difficult for the observers to see the laser. Without radio confirmation it was difficult to tell if the signal was even received. Aiming the green flare into the water and slowly guiding it up to the target proved to be a good method. These products will require a lot of practice to perfect a successful aiming technique....Currently laser signaling devices are not USCG approved. The primary concern with laser signaling devices is that lasers aimed directly at someone’s eyes may lead to laser dazzle where an after image of spots makes it difficult for an aircraft pilot to see. This is an issue manufacturers are working to address. A concern for boaters remains that if a pilot gets hit with a laser flare in the eyes they may abort the mission."

I would have concerns if a SAR pilot saw a green laser flash, that he/she might not investigate it, because of fear of visual impairment--even though the Greatland product apparently will not cause retinal damage at a distance.

From the CG regs:

ELECTRIC S-O-S DISTRESS LIGHT
APPROVAL CATEGORY: 161.013

APPROVAL GUIDANCE & INFORMATION: This is an alternative to flares for recreational boats. It is required to automatically flash S-O-S. Light intensity and duration requirements apply. Electric S-O-S distress lights are self-certified by the manufacturer. The Coast Guard does not issue approvals or keep an authenticated list of manufacturers. Approval standards for these lights are found in Title 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart 161.013.

At this time, there is no rescue laser certified to take the place of a night signal from what I can find--and I have looked several times.

I think that there would be an issue with many authorities if you offered up a flashlight which blinks SOS (I have several which do)--instead of flares. There are day signals which are non pyrotechnic which are approved.

The West Marine Catalogue, has the Greatland Laser Flare, (no approval noted). And several strobes which say "CG approved",..but none meet the 161.013 specs.

ACR did have a "puck" type of laser flare, which was approved, but it was withdrawn from the market.

Will any of our CG AUX inspectors pass a boat which does not have flares of some type?

As for rescue--I depend on the PLB, flares, SOS and strobe lights. I can see the advantages--and disadvantages of the laser flares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: