The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions for canvas maker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Questions for canvas maker Reply with quote

I have decided to go ahead and commission step 1 of a canvas project that ultimately will wind up with a camperback. I need to protect the cockpit from winter weather -- and I need sun protection for the summer. After consulting with a canvas shop, I'm planning to go ahead with a bimini. I want to emulate what Valkyrie and Thataway have done; i.e. a free standing unit with a detachable connection to the cabin top for free flow air in the summer. For this winter, it will be the bimini only with sides to be installed when my bank account fills up again.

For this winter, I am planning to close off the sides by draping a tarp over the bimini and snugging it up with bungees. The canvasmaker has told me that such a free standing unit, fabricated with 7/8 stainless framing and covered with the tarp will be strong enough to bear the weight of snow.

I like the idea - spend some now, add more canvas later - get winter protection now and overhead sun protection to boot.

Any thoughts, C-Brats?
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with getting a bimini now and closing it in later, but I
wouldn't keep it up when storing the boat outside during the winter. If money is tight and you are getting a tarp anyway, why not just cover the boat with the tarp? If you want a canvas covering the cockpit under the winter tarp, consider a slant back mooring cover. It too is an item that will be useful all year long. Also, you might consider a full winter cover, which can be used with or without the mooring cover.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the above. For snow, I want something which is not flat on top--and the Bimini will be too flat. The slant back--or even making a framework of wood, or rope with a good slant to it, and then the tarp. Don't leave the cockpit open for snow to accumulate. That is what did in the C Dory 25 which I owned.

When you build the extension to the cabin and side curtains, you will have zippers to attatch the pieces to the Bimini. Make sure that the canvas worker makes allowance for those. In other words, design the entire top now. In the case of "Thataway"--the canvas worker came back to the boat a number of times to get it "right". It helps if the boat is at the shop, or the canvas worker has ready access.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Boy - My comments will only have relevance if your area in the winter experiences high winds from time to time. A full Sunbrella custom cover will show chafe after a season of winter wind in Montana. Wind may not be a problem where you live. I have evolved to another system here. A slanting Sunbrella cockpit cover keeps the snow out of the cockpit but not out of the well. I purchase a good quality 24' canvas for cuddy models and stretch it from the forward railing over the engine. Costs about $150 and last for about 4-5 seasons. Better than tearing apart a $1300 full cover. Keeps the sun off the top and most of the sides.
But as I said my experience may not be relevant . John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that in most any outdoor storage situation, a cover should include the OB well and maybe even the power heads. JMHO.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

richnkay

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Annalee
Photos: Annalee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another relatively inexpensive canvas item to think of is a windlass cover, if you have a windlass mounted of course. For just a few bucks more this summer my canvas maker crafted an engine cover and the windlass cover in extra Sunbrella that matched the camperback he made. The windlass cover has kept water out of the chain locker on rainy days.
Rich.

Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great feedback! I'm going to blend all this information together and come up with a solution that will fit my situation. Many many thanks, y'all.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Questions for canvas maker Reply with quote

So for all you boats with a full cockpit canvas cover, I assume you take it all off when laid up for winter outdoors? Does the frame work come apart easy? What do you do then, put a sloper back cover on or a tarp? I guess you need the poppers to line up to interchange the covers.
At present I just have the sloper back canvas.

Martin.
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 machine screws attach my SS frame to the boat. I remove all the sunbrella panels and then remove the screws and the SS frame. I store the frame in my outside storage shed, the sunbrella in my workshop. I have a sunbrella cover for the boat that keeps the weather off when I'm not using it.

It takes about 30 min to take the camperback off, same to re-install.

jd
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No snow. But I have a full boat cover for storage year around, when not in use. The full cover, does come to the back--but not include the outboard--separate cover there. Not sure that is the best way to go, but I feel that you can tension the back cover more with the cover coming using to the base of the outboard. I might feel differently if we had snow.

I have one screw on each side to remove the entire bow set. A quick release pin on each up vertical support bar. Takes about 2 minutes to remove the bows--and stow them below the trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: