The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut with square rear window... looks good!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I noticed that was a bit odd is how the cabin door doesn't match the gelcoat on the rest of the boat. Is that how it is on all of them or?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
The only other thing I noticed that was a bit odd is how the cabin door doesn't match the gelcoat on the rest of the boat. Is that how it is on all of them or?

My guess is that it's because the door is made separately as a single unit by a marine window/door manufacturer like Diamond Sea Glaze, and they were unable to provide an exact color match.

Only Les could tell us if this is correct and if they are all this way.

Quite frankly, I don't find the color match to be all that noticeable. In fact, I didn't notice it. The photograph may exaggerate the color difference, or minimize it some way, too.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:

We have had the boat for 2 1/2 seasons and never noticed a color difference. The door is cored with the same closed cell foam as the rest of cabin and hull. I'm going out on the boat this week and will take some pictures of the door from various angles in contrast with the removable bulkhead, and Will post them online for the group.

Rich

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember a posting by Les which said in effect that the round window was a Marinaut icon of sorts, like the tan stripe on a Ranger Tug or the grill of a Jeep. Now, what's next?

"...we're all in the same boat..."
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
I seem to remember a posting by Les which said in effect that the round window was a Marinaut icon of sorts, like the tan stripe on a Ranger Tug or the grill of a Jeep. Now, what's next?

You are right Marty, and my wife and I really love that round window.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
I like cute, but I also value maximum visibility. Great to have a choice. Smile

That is what is truly great about Les: within reason, he can accommodate most people's needs with his creativity. Where my wife and I feel he particularly excels is his use of space. He has the experience of living in a trailer where space was at a premium. So on the Marinaut, there are so many nooks and crannys everywhere to store stuff. This season, we have already spent 14 nights on our boat, and have a couple of more trips planned. The thing that surprised us the most about the Marinaut is how much we love spending overnights on our boat in marinas. We actually enjoy that as much as traveling on the water. Dave Thompson should be given a great deal of credit for his wanting the saddle tanks, large splashwell area and open berth in the design. Couple that with Les' use of space, and we have a very comfortable boat.

Regarding the boat shown in this thread, it is very beautiful with the square windows, and the arch looks fantastic. It's owner is going to be very happy.

Also, the reason why the door looked a different color in the photo is the way that the light hit it, as Seawolf explained.

Rich
Spike

City/Region: Kent
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Rich, you answered my first question about the bulkhead being removable. Now the second question . Is it hard to take off and put back on? I guess that was three questions.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
OK Rich, you answered my first question about the bulkhead being removable. Now the second question . Is it hard to take off and put back on? I guess that was three questions.

Chuck, I can't honestly tell you, since I never did it. That is a question for Les Lampman. There are not that many screws holding it in place, but I would think you would need a second person's help. Interestingly, Les told us that if he had the boat, he would not use the rear bulkhead, but would still have a full canvasback so that it would maximize interior space. ironically, the way we use our boat, we always have the full canvasback in place while underway. This prevents spray from getting into the cockpit in windy conditions, and in the event of a very large following wave, it should keep water from entering the cockpit. However, the splash well is quite deep, and we have never encountered a situation where water has even come close to entering the cockpit, because the splashwell seems to be very effective.

If you want to see what our boat looks like without the bulkhead in place, Les Lampman has posted some very nice pictures on the Marinaut Boats website:

http://www.marinautboats.com/Marinaut_photos_int.html
Spike

City/Region: Kent
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich. That is an option that I do like. Be nice for sunny day cruising. Maybe get an optional curtain made up. Can see where a hard core fisherman would like to have a removable bulkhead.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Thanks Rich. That is an option that I do like. Be nice for sunny day cruising. Maybe get an optional curtain made up. Can see where a hard core fisherman would like to have a removable bulkhead.

A curtain like I had on my sold C-Dory 16 would work well, I think ( see picture. It was the factory option curtain.). One other thing to mention is that from a security standpoint, it is nice to have the bulkhead in place. Sure -- it does not theives who are determined to gain access to one's cabin, but it does provide deter the casual thief.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1557&id=Kicker_Stern_view_showing_security_cable_placement&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[img]
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marinaut bulkead door -- I examined it yesterday. It is a cored door, but it has some sort of veneer that looks and feels (it is a dull surface) like the same material as our galley countertop. It is white, and blends well with the bulhead, but because its' surface is dull, it does not reflect light to the degree of the surounding bulkhead surface, which is fiberglass with a shiny, gelcoat coating. Whatever it is made of, the door is light in weight and can be easily removed from its hinges. Use of closed cell foam coring is great, too, because it will not warp in a moist environment. We are very happy with the materials from which it had been constructed.

Rich
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense... thanks for the update Rich. I do love the fact that they are using "safer" materials in the core compared to Balsa. That is a huge selling point in their favor in my opinion. Isn't the hull all Nidacore?
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
That makes sense... thanks for the update Rich. I do love the fact that they are using "safer" materials in the core compared to Balsa. That is a huge selling point in their favor in my opinion. Isn't the hull all Nidacore?

No, I think it is Soric closed cell foam. Incidentally, I had private discussions with Dr. Bob, and he convinced me, as others have stated on the site, that what may be more important than the coring material used is the quality and method of construction. MBC uses a Washington area, high end yacht build company, Townsend Bay Marine, for construction of the hulls. MBC over drills holes in the hull, as Les told me, fills them in with epoxy, and re-drills to the right diameter. This prevents the crushing of coring around the holes, and provides a good seal against moisture.

Each material, foam and wood, has its positives and negatives. For example, end grain balsa is resilient to crushing force and can bounce back to its original form, where with foam, once it is crushed, it stays crushed. I am very happy with my Marinaut for many reasons, but honestly, I'm not convinced that the closed cell foam makes her safer. It certainly makes her light, yet very strong, which is one reason why we enjoy good fuel economy. I also feel that the floor sole makes a sort of double bottom that to a certain degree, makes her more likely to stay afloat (but not necessarily) when her primary hull is compromised by an impact. As I stated above, I'm very happy with the quality of construction. Also, since the entire boat is cored, even a person of my 250 pound weight can step just about anywhere on her -- even the roof, and it will support my weight.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another reason to keep the iconic round Marinaut window. In this photograph, a picture of the Marinaut, Irish Queen, is taken through the round window of the Betty Ann. In my opinion, round is a better way to frame the shot. Very Happy

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&id=A016_IRISH_QUEEN_THROUGH_BETTY_ANNs_PORTHOLE_WINDOW_IMG_1136&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
C-Nile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were in Greenport, NY's Mitchell Park Marina in August 22, 2013, we found ourselves knee-deep into a Ranger Tugs gathering. Our Marinaut 215, by an untrained eye, often gets mistaken for a Ranger Tug. I think that part of the reason is the color scheme we chose. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, because Ranger Tugs are beautiful boats. However, the iconic round window helps better differentiate our brand of boat from Ranger Tugs. Following are photos of the gathering.

Incidentally, Ranger Tugs have become much more popular in Long Island, and we have been seeing more of them over the last two years.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&id=Ranger_Tugs_gathering_Mitchell_Park_Marina_Greenport_NY_Aug_22_2013_1_of_2&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&id=Ranger_Tugs_gathering_Mitchell_Park_Marina_Greenport_NY_Aug_22_2013_2_of_2&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: