The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Measured power draw of various items aboard.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Foggy and Richard have brought up the charging of the last 15% to 20%, and this is important. This is the reason we try and hit a marina with shore power or run the little generator every few days--to be sure that battery is topped off regularly. There are other ways to help prevent sulfation--and that involves the pulse chargers--some of which actually run on 12 volts--but again you have to be able to keep those batteries topped off with a shore charger.

On our larger boats--where we had very large electrical demands--such as an auto pilot, 10 hours of navigation lights, etc we had not only 200 amp alternators on the engine--and in one boat on the gen set--plus 130 amp chargers on the inverters--which battery banks which were over 1200 amp hours. But this type of technology is not either practical or necessary in a C Dory.

For a 25 or Tom Cat, about the max is 2 engine start (dual engines) one or two in a house bank--and then a separate inverter or refer bank. It is fairly easy to do the 2 group 31's, in the larger banks, some have gone with an 8D battery or a couple of golf carts in series. However, doing this makes any of the boats considerably heavier, and will affect performance.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a random data point, since it has come up in the thread: Yesterday morning when we left our anchorage, the battery SOC was at 64.7% (after two days and two nights at anchor, mostly aboard, weathering a front/wind - and nearly all of that draw down was my laptop/Internet, so nothing "essential).

We cruised for 3.5 clock hours (3 engine hours), all between idle-forward and hull speed (say around 800rpm to 1400 rpm). We covered 14 miles (and incidentally used around 2 gallons of fuel, give or take (hard to measure that little). When we put our anchor down again at the end of that time, the SOC was at 92.6%

Yesterday afternoon, last night, and this morning were more typical of what we have seen (no Internet). While at anchor (a bit under 24 hours) we didn't use any power to speak of (charged a camera battery and a phone slightly). Then this morning we puttered around 30 minutes (1200 rpm or so). We wanted to get back to "Internet land" to see about the park closure and look up weather so we could make plans. Now the SOC is at 93.8% (all as measured on the battery monitor).

I will have to keep an eye out to see what it takes to put that last 5-6% in. We've only been below 90% a couple of times, so I don't have a solid feel for it yet since this is the first cruise with the boat. I could probably kill a battery in short order with easy Internet access and no additional charging methods (but I will exercise some self control!).

Sunbeam

PS: I mentioned this before, but my biggest (happy) surprise is that the engine puts a fair number of amps in to the battery at idle/hull speeds (10-12 amps). With smaller outboards like you'd have on a smaller sailboat (at least in my experience, which granted is not with all motors), the engines don't really put out much until you are closer to WOT (or rather "full normal running speed). I have never run a "large" outboard before so did not know what to expect. My Yamaha is listed as having a 20 amp alternator, but (unlike some other brands, and I have not researched further) not listed is whether this is "available" total or just the total (some of which would go to running the engine). I suppose since it is carbureted, less goes into the engine than would with a newer engine). Also, I haven't yet noted how many amps are going in at higher speeds (maybe it's the same). Also will have to see if that number drops as I get over 95% SOC.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
Why do you use an inverter to run/charge your computer, vice powering it from the 12 VDC (cigarette lighter socket)?

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Sunbeam,
Why do you use an inverter to run/charge your computer, vice powering it from the 12 VDC (cigarette lighter socket)?

Good question, and a slight peeve of mine Angry With all my past computers (I've tended to live on 12 volts, so they've all been laptops) I have purchased a direct 12 volt charger, and I always considered using an inverter sort of a waste (going "up" then back down again not being as efficient).

However. The newer Macs have a connector called a MagSafe. It's a nice feature, basically - the computer end of the charger line is magnetic, so if you trip over the cord it it just pulls out instead of bending or breaking it -- or dragging your laptop off the table (BTDT). But, it's proprietary. So there isn't an aftermarket charger you can just pick up and buy. And Apple for some reason has chosen not to make a 12 volt charger themselves (they have a connector you can use to run it on an airplane, but it does not charge it).

There is a way around it. You can buy another Apple charging "brick" (to get the MagSafe end) and then mate it to a "whatever brand" 12 volt charger made for laptops (or make the one end usable for both with a joint). I just haven't done it yet (I guess I was lazy and just started using a small inverter in the road vehicle, where power is not as precious). Now I probably will re-visit getting one of the "home made" direct 12 volt chargers (there are places you can buy them too, but it's a little bit of a runaround).

Now you're probably sorry you asked! But it has been an annoyance and I would have wondered the same thing as you.

Sunbeam

BTW, A bit more running today (at cruise speed) and the SOC is up to 99.99%. At the moment I don't have the battery monitor where I can see it from the helm (I think I will move it so I can), so not sure exactly how much things slowed down for the last bit of "juice" going in, but it didn't seem to be too awfully slow. Perhaps it's just as much or more that it's not as good for the battery(s) as it would be with a smart charger (that has float stages and etc.). I assume using the non-smart engine to charge will shorten the battery's life some, but decided to go with this system for now and see how it goes. Worst case, I buy a new battery sooner than I would have, and re-evaluate. I will at least keep the charge percentage up above 50-60% to help the battery out as much as possible.
willronco

City/Region: Everett
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: BREVITY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam (and maybe others who have faced this Mac annoyance),

There is a company called HyperShop that makes a variety of external batteries, connecting cables, etc. to help charge Apple laptops more conveniently:

http://www.hypershop.com/

I haven't used that particular one, but I have used a similar kind of product with a magsafe plug on one end and a 12v adapter on the other which worked OK. If I get a chance to try out the hypershop device, I will report my findings.

A thousand thanks for all the current draw information, it is incredibly helpful!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, willronco - I'll take a look at it. I'm guilty in that I haven't even shopped for one for a year or so. It just so happened that I was off boats (yeah, it happens) for the most part and living such that I had pretty easy access to 110, and so I got in the habit of the inverter. Not that I didn't think about how dumb it was each time I had to deal with plugging it in!

I think it was "MikeGyver" who was making them back then (and maybe still). One thing I found out in my shopping was that some of the 12 volt chargers (one chooses a "branded" one to splice into the MagSafe end) will shut themselves down "helpfully" if your 12volt source goes below a certain charge level. Problem is, it's a really high level, and one that an informed boater (or RV-er) with a battery management plan might often be below (with no real problem). However there were other brands that did not do this. Somewhere I have the notes stashed on which were which. This thread has jogged me to make it a priority to review the current info and get a 12 volt adapter, finally.

Glad the draw info has been useful - now the thread is helping me to get a move on with the adapter Very Happy I like how the threads/community here work that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: