The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/21 Lake Powell September 2013 Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam ... and anyone else still out on Lake Powell -

It appears there may be a window of (resupply) opportunity for you!

In a temporary agreement between Utah and the NPS is supposed to have Utah fund the operation of Parks in Utah for ten days. The agreement was supposed to go into effect on Friday (yesterday). ...so who knows, maybe you'll have an opportunity to get to Page, resupply, and get back out on the lake if you're so inclined!

A 'glitch might be in the fact that Wahweap is in Arizona, not Utah. *&^%$ .
If Utah funding for Lake Powell is limited to Utah-waters, it could be a sticking point.

During my years with the NPS I saw some strange things here-and-there but we've reach a new level of 'bizarre. Simply Amazing.

Best,
Casey&Mary

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes both Wahweep and Antelope Point are open now. Along with Bullfrog and Halls and Dangling Rope. Arizona has been trying to get the Grand Canyon open but the interior department has been avoiding there calls.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back in view of Navajo Mountain, and thus online. So, it looks like the lake may be open again. I did see a speedboat racing uplake in the "20's" mile marker range. Haven't seen or heard anything like that in many days (I believe there were still some boats out here along with us, but you'd think they'd be in fuel conservation mode by now, as we are). I hailed them on 16 but go no response. Perhaps they launched at Wahweap or Antelope this morning.

So, now to decide what to do, in view of the fact that we could potentially re-supply. We had always been thinking it would be nice to be out here for full moon (which we did catch at launch but just barely), but ... guess we'll look at the upcoming weather and decide from there. No rush to leave, but then too no need to stay past when it's fun. We're kind of spoiled now by having the place "to ourselves," too. Although.... food.... ice.... milk..... Gift

I've always thought I'd like the Inside Passage area for my "hideout." Relatively mild temps year 'round (I'm a northerner, so prefer cooler to really hot), plenty of stove fuel (wood), fish/berries/sea life, and no roads (would keep a certain percentage of other folks away). I suppose after a certain amount of time I'd be dreaming of something dry/hot though! And the winter/SE storms would be something.

Thanks for those who posted the updated info from the "real world" Thumbs Up

Jody: Are you thinking of making a trip back now?

Heinz: What a nice post. You've had some great first-time C-Brats experiences (Friday Harbor, Powell, etc.) I hope we can meet up again either here or someplace down the road/river/etc.

Thataway: Yep, I did go just slightly too far in the "lightening up" direction. I have a list of certain staples and supplies to add to the "permanent" stock aboard. We haven't starved yet, but pickings are (were?) getting slim and I would have been annoyed if food had been the thing that drove us off the lake. (This is probably my biggest challenge with this boat, in more than just food stocks: Where is the correct "line" to draw between sinking the boat with all the things I would load onto a cruising sailboat, and being un-prepared or under-equipped. I suspect it's somewhat of a moving target, and different for different folks/different places.

Sunbeam
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

As a "hideout" location, I agree that numerous locations along the Inside Passage would be real contenders. Mary and I have discussed it, and the fact that thousands of year's of indigenous folks thrived in this area has something to be said for the subsistence lifestyle. In my view, any culture that has enough free time to create artistic forms (totem poles, bent wood boxes, complex carvings...) tells me they don't have to spend ALL their time grubbing for food. Life up there may not be easy; but it's Do-able.

When we were cruising in Southeast last summer we noticed an occasional "float home" established in some remote/protected area. I don't know the details of their lifestyle, but it appears that it, too, is Do-able. One that got my attention was a floating platform a few miles east of Tenakee Springs. The platform had a nice looking 'yurt on it, with a smallish skiff tied alongside. My immediate impression was that these folks were living a pretty nice Life! Good for them.

...just thinking out loud, and sharing with the 'Family.

Best,
Casey&Mary
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam

Wow I would really like to be able to spend that much time on the lake. Until I get a little closer to retirement it's just not in the cards. It sure looks like your having a good time. Right now I'm planing on between Christmas and New Years for my next trip. In past years I was the only trailer in the parking lot. You don't see anyone else much. If your still down there then you can hail me on channel 68. Xmas LOL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Wow I would really like to be able to spend that much time on the lake.

I feel really lucky and grateful to be able to do so. This was the "carrot on the end of the stick" I used to keep my projects going when I was knee deep in them.

jkidd wrote:
In past years I was the only trailer in the parking lot. You don't see anyone else much.

That's what was so cool about (just happening to) being here during the shutdown. Just... no-one. No motor sounds, no wakes, no people. At first it was eerie, and then we started to get used to it. (Of course I realize this was due to problematic issues, so not "all good" in that sense.) Today we started to see boats again. No houseboats (we're not at either end of the lake), but maybe 6-10 go-fast type boats.

jkidd wrote:
If your still down there then you can hail me on channel 68. Xmas LOL

Hee! Probably not - don't have enough warm clothes! But I'll bet it's magical. I can just imagine the beauty of a dusting of snow on the red rocks. And the lake to yourself.

Sunbeam

PS: Casey: Thanks for the heads-up. Yep, the place is open again. We were able to re-supply some (limited, but hey, edible!) and will probably stay out a few more days (would like to see full moon or close to it, and the weather looks decent). Unless those root-beer floats start calling too loudly Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: