BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this two days ago and hit submit but with such unreliable cell signal, apparently it didn't go. So I'll paste it again:

Still on Lake Powell (day 17) with almost no Internet so this will be short.

Thanks for the great replies. I plan to try them all ... Except maybe the sardine/ oatmeal/ tomato sauce/ raisin concoction (sorry Martin...I love all those ingredients separately but may agree with Andrea on this one!)

My personal favorites utilize our new little Magma grill and aluminum foil. We've been having fun making "foil packets" that cook up great and require very little cleanup. PERFECT for boat travel.

We have a wonderful Dometic freezer and for this trip stocked it with frozen wild-caught individually wrapped salmon filets (walmart), boneless skinless chicken breasts, steak, hamburger, and pork tenderloin, hotdogs, sugar snap peas, and regular peas. The basement (storage area under the dinette), has tuna, ramen noodles, corn, salsa, cheese dip, mixed nuts, sardines, peanut butter, jelly, instant oatmeal, ultra-pasturized milk (doesnt require refrigeration), raisins, spaghetti sauce, pasta and more.  The cooler (which we keep cold by freezing the "blue things", has cream cheese, milk, butter, eggs, pepper jack cheese, American cheese, cheese balls (handy and easy for pot-lucks),  lunch meat, and mayo. Early on it had lettuce and celery but they are long gone at this point. And of course we have bread, ritz crackers, and tortilla chips.

So we can have almost any meal we want. BUT we still love the quick and easy recipes with little to no cleanup.

(Glad I announced early on that this would be a short reply....whew!)

After all that, only have time for my VERY favorite boat meal:

Salmon and sugar snap peas

Salmon:
Spray sheet of heavy duty foil with Pam
Put on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap up tightly: 
      A handful of shredded carrots
       Salmon filet (thawed)
       Lowrey's sesame ginger marinade to cover salmon
       Black & Red (a mixture of black pepper and cayenne pepper...we put it on almost EVERYTHING)

Repeat for number of people you are serving (everyone gets their own little packet). Grill for 10 mins on high.

For sugar snaps peas,  just make a big foil packet with the thawed sugar snaps, seasoned salt and a little pat of butter if desired.  Throw those on the grill at the same time as salmon (also for 10 mins)

BE CAREFUL WHEN OPENING.

We serve with extra marinade on side.

This meal takes 5 mins prep and 10 mins on grill and almost no clean-up...AND tastes like a five star restaurant. 

Casey is making me his own variation tonight ... I'll report back.

Not sure how much longer we will be on the lake. It's absolutely perfect now: cooler in the mornings, but water still warm enough to swim, crowd is thinning nicely and it's just GORGEOUS. But Dangling Rope is down to only vanilla ice cream and our wine supply is dwindling, so we may actually think about heading to Wahweap one of these days. But not today...and not tomorrow.  Maybe when the vanilla ice cream and the wine runs out?  

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Casey can cook. Seen him in action around a freezer and stove. Glad to hear from you Mary!! Meet you down the road a ways. Hang onto that guy he's a keeper! Park rangers are good at lots of stuff. George
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George ... yea, Mary has certainly set-the-hook as we say.

As for "my" variation on dinner the other night - here's what I did.

Using a (Walmart) 4oz salmon fillet, I layed five Ritz cracker's on each piece of aluminum foil. The filet went on top of the crackers, then smeared-on (that's a professional chef term, I'll define if necessary...) a light layer of mayonaisse on the salmon. Spooned on a good row of kernal corn from a can I found in the 'basement, then a light layer of hot salsa over all of it. Wrapped it in the aluminum foil, sealed tightly, and put each packet on the little Magma grill (high heat) for :12.

Good eating ... for sure. (In fact I saw Mary 'eyeing my portion, so I decided to eat faster rather than have a confrontation.) Smile

Best,
Casey&Mary

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread... and especially appreciate lists of food as it makes my shopping/planning and storing decisions for me. Congrats Casey and Mary!
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should start a thread for "grocery lists" for 2 week, 4 week, and 3 month boating trips! That will be next. Smile

Until then, here's another quick, easy, and good foil recipe with only three ingredients!

Salsa Chicken with Corn

On sheet of heavy duty foil sprayed with Pam:
1 boneless skinless chicken breast (thawed)
Half can of corn
Pour on some Spicy salsa (we think "Pace Hot Picante" is the best salsa you can buy)
Wrap up tightly and put on medium-high grill for 22 minutes. Take off of grill and let rest for five minutes. Open foil carefully. Enjoy.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Great boat recipe? Reply with quote

Easy Salsa,
One can canned corn drained, (or cut some right off a cooked cob) one can diced tomatoes with jalapenos or green chiles don't drain, one can black beans (we wash them in a calender. Add chopped onions, one tablespoon of vinegar and tablespoon of olive oil. Mix it it up. Salt to taste. Can add cilantro, mild green pepper, some red pepper flakes. Serve with corn chips flavored with a hint of lime.
D.D.

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: 2 OR 20 Reply with quote

This is an old Cajun receipt I got from a commercial fisherman in S Louisiana.

This takes a pot and lid, but uses common ingredients and can serve 2 or 20, depending on how many layers you add. Bacon, sliced potatoes, sliced onions, fish fillets, black pepper.

In a pot layer bacon. Layer potatoes. Black pepper. Layer onions. Black pepper. Layer fish fillets. Black pepper. Repeat until the number of hungry stomachs equal the depth of the concoction. Cook until the potatoes are tender.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a easy one for you. Salmon cut into portions. Place on foil skin side down ( you can do it with out skin if you want) cover with your choice of salsa. I like Pace chunky style. wrap foil close over salmon and toss on grill. We made a bunch of it at the Sydney gathering and it must have been good because I only got one piece. It was not how ever as good as the coho that some one made. I used fresh caught pink. Its easy and clean up is tossing the foil in the trash. You can make one piece or a whole fillet. Over or BBQ. I have even cooked it in a pan on the stove top.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Well I got a easy one for you. Salmon cut into portions. Place on foil skin side down ( you can do it with out skin if you want) cover with your choice of salsa. I like Pace chunky style. wrap foil close over salmon and toss on grill. We made a bunch of it at the Sydney gathering and it must have been good because I only got one piece. It was not how ever as good as the coho that some one made. I used fresh caught pink. Its easy and clean up is tossing the foil in the trash. You can make one piece or a whole fillet. Over or BBQ. I have even cooked it in a pan on the stove top.

Tom, try it with the Mango Peach Salsa from Costco. Fantastic! Works well on chicken and just about any fish. A bit of grated cheddar on top if you choose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: