The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

San Juans with Fishtales and SEA3PO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: San Juans with Fishtales and SEA3PO Reply with quote

We dropped the boat at the factory for some work and spent 5 days at the Snoqualmie River RV in Fall City.
After having some stress cracks repaired in the gel coat and a new Wallas installed at the factory, we met with Roger and Lizbeth Johnson (Sensei) in Stanwood.

We spent a wonderful 11 days and 10 nights on the water cruising around the beautiful San Juans Islands.

Saturday 7/30

Roger launched us at Utsalady on the north shore of Camano Island. We cruised up through the Swinomish Channel to Anacortes, where we spent the night. We walked into town and had some good fish & chips at the Brown Lantern. Roger and Lizbeth met us on the dock with a small ice chest full of fresh crab for the trip. Thanks guys!!

Sunday 7/31

We cruised on over to James Island where we anchored up and waited for space at the dock. This is a beautiful State Park Island.
After we tied to the dock, I launched the dink and floated across the bay fishing. I caught 3 dog fish, a very pesky shark known in the area. (Several years ago the DJ's from one of the Seattle radio stations BBQ a bunch of these pests----- I'll let them have all they want)
We sat on the dock and ate crab for dinner.

Monday 8/1

I got up and cracked the last of the crab so it would fit in the refrigerator and after a breakfast of crab and scrambled eggs we cruised on over to Friday Harbor.
While in Friday Harbor we saw someone tieing a dink on top of a CD25, by the time we got over to talk with him he was gone.
We met Phil and his wife on a 26' Nordic Tug across the dock from us and was invited for a tour---- Love those Nordics
That night while walking to the facilities, a mink was on the dock and jumped on a boat as I passed. After I passed he jumped back on the dock and started running right at me-- I was between him and the shore. When he was about 6 - 7 feet away, I moved my feet and he came to a screeching halt-- then a cat jumped off the boat next to me and started chasing him down the dock.

Tuesday 8/2

We cruised over to Victoria, Canada where we spent 2 nights on the docks next to the Customs Dock. These were a lot quieter then the docks in front of the Empress Hotel. We was going to have "High Tea" at the Empress, but when we found out it was $50 per person--- sorry, I'll stick with my "redneck coffee"
The IMAX is a short walk away, so we watched the Coral Reef Adventure (except for Joel- who had to dog sit) Then we walked over to China Town and had dinner before going back to the boats.

Wednesday 8/3

We relaxed most of the day and walked about town and in the evening took the dinks as far as we could go up the river. At one point returning the current was strong enough from the flood tide that PJ had to use the oars to help the Honda 2 horse engine.

Thursday 8/4

We cruised over to Roche Harbor-- interesting place.
I bought a handful of shrimp from the locals and while Sue was BBQing the steaks, I sauteed them in garlic and butter. We popped the cork on a bottle of Cab/Merlot and enjoyed a meal that made us the envy of the dock.
I enjoyed the "Retiring of the Colors" at dusk.

Friday 8/5

We cruised over to Fisherman Bay where Roger (Sensie) had space for three reserved. That evening, After Roger & Lizbeth arrived, we had a great meal in the restaurant.

Saturday 8/6

We decided to stay another day, so they had us move over to a different dock. We walked into the little town --- or should I say, we grazed our way into town. The blackberries along the road were ripe and delicous.
After returning to the boats, we saw that the boats had been moved a few feet to allow room for another boat. Fishtales was not tied the same way that I left her and was bumping in to the dock on the stern. After talking to the docktender?? he owned up to moving the boats and apologized. He said he would have his superior would come down to talk with us---- never showed. It is a nice place, but very poorly run.
We met Peter and Caryn of C-Dancer. They had her parents with them for a weekend on the water.

Sunday 8/7

We cruised over to Blakely.
Fred & Robin were there (he was playing sick- don't tell anyone)
We got in the dinks and took a ride out around Obstruction Island-- my Honda 2 horse is not the best for those currents. Think I'll start looking for a 4 or 5 horse engine.

Monday 8/8

We cruised down Rosario Strait in the fog and through Deception Pass. The fog lifted as we were passing under the bridge.
We then made our way to La Conner for our last night on the water. We took the dinks and tied up to the dock at the La Conner Pub & Grill for some more fish & chips.

Tuesday 8/9

We made our way back to Utsalady in the fog where Roger and Dave-S met us and trailered the boats-- thanks guys
We then went back to Roger's place and ran fresh water through the engines and rinsed the boats.
Before leaving and heading south, we stopped and had lunch in Stanwood with Roger & Lizbeth and Dave-S & his wife and daughter

WISH WE COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER- but work gets in the way

Pic are located in the San Juans sub-folder in Fishtales album

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy

Last edited by C-Hawk on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Roger & Lizbeth for you great hosptality!!! You guys are welcome to come down here any time.
Thanks Dave, for helping out getting the boats out of the water.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: San Juans with Fishtales and SEA3PO Reply with quote

Well, I'm bummed, Roger! At the campground you were 3-4 miles from our house, and more importantly, 3-4 miles from the brewery, and we didn't connect! Bummer!

Fishtales wrote:
We dropped the boat at the factory for some work and spent 5 days at the Snoqualmie River RV in Fall City.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the trip report and pictures. Will look forward to talking to you about it so I can plan to do the same thing. Welcome Home.

C-Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat-
Ya- I know. I was hoping we could connect. I don't have a laptop as yet and didn't think about the library until the last day, or I would have been on the net.
I like the food at the Colonial House? in Fall City. Good food- breakfast, lunch and dinner. That little burger joint was a disappointment.
I had posted before we left that we would be there for the week. It is a nice campground. We walked into town every day (about 3 miles rt)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: