thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, it was not a KISS stove specifically. But the problem was exactly the same as the failure of the KISS seals. The seals on the cartridge were bad, and the gas leaked out very rapidly, ignited and caused over 30% 3rd degree burn. So my concerns are not brand specific, nor specific for Butane or Propane. They all work the same.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Major Kenyon Kiss malfunction Reply with quote

I too have spoken with Frank at Kenyon. Our KISS stove went back for a reseal job. I used to leave the canister in all the time. Worked fine for about three or four years. Then one day we changed out the fuel canister and noticed a leak. I sent the stove back in and per Franks recommendations removed the fuel canister after every use and put a dab of motor oil on the tip of the fuel canister. The stove worked fine for a year, now we are back to it leaking again when loading a fuel canister. The one thing I did not do is purge the stove of any remaining butane after removing the fuel canister after each use. Fortunately the leak is not hard to hear or detect with your nose. We never go to the ignition stage until we are sure no leaks are detected. I'll send the stove back to Frank once again. If it screws up again in the trash it will go. Angry
D.D.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of adding a drop of motor oil to the canister/ stove interface is a good one that can be adapted to other butane canister uses.

I've never really done it until the other day when I took a canister off a propane torch in my garage and could hear the detached canister leaking (!)

I oiled the needle, put the canister back on the torch, and found that upon subsequent removal, the canister didn't leak.

However, just to be sure, I attached the torch again and left them together, since the torch is simple, and has a good non-leaking valve that I have more confidence in than the oiled seal.

Then I stored the unit outside in a detached shed from the house.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: