The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing an inflatable dinghy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Towing an inflatable dinghy Reply with quote

Does anyone tow their inflatable dinghy behind a 22? Perhaps not all the time, but for short trips of several nm?

Is there a recommended maximum speed? How far back should the dinghy be when towing?

The dinghy has an inflatable floor and keel, if that makes a difference.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick we've done it on our 25. I remove the engine and store it and tow back far enough where the dinghy rides on smooth water behind the engine turbulance/prop wash/wake. Use the two lower bow attach points with "V" attachement w/ a small float. Usually about 10 knots max, but slower speeds the better. Never had a problem.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed mine for hours at planing speeds, Needs to be back far enough to be in the smoother water as localboy said, and use two tow lines from the attachment on the dinghy up to both rear cleats on the stern. Works great. Have crossed a lot of rough water without problem. Not ideal, but sometimes just don't feel like putting the 90 lbs up on the cabin top.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have towed our West Marine RU260 at planing speeds for miles with no difficulty. We tow from the lower transom tie down rings using a bridle connected to the center tow ring on the dinghy. the dinghy rides about 30 feet back just where the wave from the engines starts to die down.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever you tow an inflatable there is a risk of damage to the dinghy and also the possibility of flipping or swamping I have towed "dinghies" up to 20 feet behind a trawler. However I avoid towing an inflatable. You may get away with it for awhile, but eventually you will have a serious problem...

If you tow the proper way is to have eye bolts in the transom, to take the majority of the pull load. These are fair lead thru the forward towing eyes.

From the C Dory side a bridle is best.

Take all of the gear and engine (gas can etc) out of the boat. If at night, have a waterproof light on the dinghy which you can see at all times.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I plan on towing when I'm too lazy to secure the dinghy aloft for short distances.

The dinghy manual illustrates to tow with two lines; one from the starboard stern to the port bow, and another from the port stern to the starboard bow, essentially criss-crossing.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always towed inflatables from the rings near the bottom of the tubs about 3/4 of the way to the bow. I use one rope that is attached to a rope yoke that is permanently tied on to the rings with a loop in the center that the tow line can be attached to with a cheap d clip. So the tow rope can be quickly attached and un clipped when need from the dinghy. at the other end of the tow rope I would have a similar y yoke with a d clip to attach the tow rope. a small float in the harness is a great idea even with floating rope.
the loop on the harness for the dingy should be centered and about 3ft past the bow of the dinghy when towed. The loop for the harness at the boat should be set about 3 to 5 feet behind the motors. I have also seen a single ling used at the boat with our a loop but enough length that when pulled tight was at the same distance behind the motors. this line had a large dring that was free to slide left or right on the harness line as you turned. I don't know if its that great of advantage or not.

As for speed to tow. as long as the dinghy is riding behind the wake of your boat in the flat spot and had enough line ( I use a 100 ft) to stay in the flat spot even when in a turn ( the time you will get in the most trouble if you don't have enough rope) then you should be able to tow at cruising speeds up to 25 mph if you want. Do not tow from the bow ring. it will cause the dingy to push bow down and drag. You want the bow up and planning. I have towed with the motor on the dinghy with the engine up and out of the water. the weight in the back of the dinghy seems to help.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...tow with two lines; one from the starboard stern to the port bow, and another from the port stern to the starboard bow, essentially criss-crossing.

Makes sense. Spead the load out instead of relying on the two small bow "D" rings. Idea

Quote:
I have towed with the motor on the dinghy with the engine up and out of the water.

Personally, I'd never do this. If that dinghy ever flipped, for whatever reason...aloha 2.5 horse Suzuki. Mad
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The d-rings on the bottom of the tubs are made to tow from. whether or not you tie the lines or clip into the lines you need to tow from the tow rings on the tubs. Do not tow from the ring on the bow.

As for the motor, you are less likely to flip the dinghy with the weight of the motor in the dinghy.

Dinghies flip when they ride over the wake of the boat that is towing them because they are to close. Cdorys are not fast enough to get the dinghy airborne any other way.

All that said I find it a lot easier to just put the dinghy back on the boats roof they fooling around with tow ropes. With the inflatable hull and keel the dinghy is so easy to row that I don't bother with a motor anymore unless we are going to set crab pots or explore. Any row of a 1/2 mile or less is just too fun not to row. If you are not going to get on plane then towing a dinghy is not a problem at all with any length rope.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Tom on the dinghy and danger of flipping The weight of the motor aft will bring the bow up--and more likely to get air under the dinghy. The danger of flipping is when the wind whips up, or there are some un-expected seas--even a boat wake. Unfortunately I have seen a number of these incidents happen.

Yes, it is better to tow with the side eyes, rather than with the single bow eye. These are all glued to the boat. Fine, unless the boat fills with water--then the load is markedly increased. This is the reason it is suggested that the load be taken by the transom, and the lines thru the towing eyes.

We rarely towed inflatables, but once were in an anchorage in the Gulf Islands where the wind came up from an adverse direction, and the bottom was the infamous "ball bearing rocks"--which no anchor will hold well in. We had a way of bringing the 12 foot RIB with 15 hp aboard easily, but we were only going a few miles to shelter and good holding--at 7 knots. Well about half way there, we almost flipped this 350 lb inflatable due to a combination of seas and wind. We stopped the boat (Cal 46) and hoisted it aboard via a stern winch and roller system.

Generally short distances in calm water. But at 22 knots there is enough speed to flip one of the dinghies...even properly towed.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine not just stowing the dingy on the roof. My personal experience with towing inflatables (only towed a friends 15 foot Mark III Zodi for hunting) is that they will tow just fine. Heck, his even had stuff (tank, battery, and camping gear) in it and a 35 hp motor on the back. However, that is not even close to a dingy and I would not have towed it at all if were not for the fact he was freezing his butt off in the 30 degree temps with lots of nasty spray........It was too rough to plane anything and very ugly out.

I personally would not tow my west marine dingy at planing speeds ever as it is too light, would probably cause it harm in the long run, and just isn't very hard to put on the roof. The reality is that by the time you run the tow lines and get ready to tow, mine is on my roof and stowed as it takes all of 2 minutes to accomplish this.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Towing an inflatable dinghy Reply with quote

There are some advantages to not having a canvas cockpit enclosure. When I am moving from anchorage to anchorage, I just drag the dink over the gunnal into the cockpit and away I go.
I have towed in the past but kept the speed to under 6 mph. This is a pain when you want to floor it.

Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMHO, If you are towing an inflatable dingy, you should probably be running a sailboat (speeds 5-7 knots) and not a power boat 8-10 knots and up, and I don't think I would tow any device with anything in/on it that I ever wanted to be absolutely sure I saw again.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing even an empty inflatable dinghy behind a powerboat is an accident waiting to happen. Even "dead slow", with a gust in the wrong direction, you can invert it.
Other accidents waiting to happen come to mind:
Drinking, talking on the cell phone or texting while driving (car, boat, plane).
Not checking the weather before your voyage (car, boat, plane).
Fishing with a large hook and bait w/o a harness.
Bow riding.
Passing trucks on the right.
Having more than 3 martinis before dinner.
Leaving a fire unattended.
Slapping Chuck Norris (I pity his obstetrican).
There are many, many more.

Aye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: