The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SE Alaska 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katmai is in Munising, MI.

After an uneventful border crossing at Ossoyos, BC (or something like that...)
we continued south to Dryden, WA to visit some friends met in Pelican, AK. An enjoyable time, and the following day we walked the streets of Levenworth, WA; a neat Bavarian-like town.

From Levenworth we took a due-east heading and meandered on state highways through Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota. When we got to Minnesota we were amazed to have covered so much ground. We were traveling at 350-375mi/day, but before we knew it we were on the shore of Lake Superior, and here we are in Munising. We looking forward to a couple of days here before heading farther south in MI to visit friends from The Villages, then east to see Nick and Marcia (Valkyerie) in OH.

The wx has turned warm and humid, and although Katmai doesn't have a/c we're getting by ok. ...but it's making me wonder what we might want to do for next summer when we're planning on doing the eastern canals (Erie, Trent Severn, and Rideau). Suggestions are Welcome!

Tomorrow will be a "day off" and we're planning to visit Pictured Rocks NS and some nearby waterfalls.

The 'biggie for today was having a "pastie" and a Cudighi sandwich. All these years I had been misinformed - I thought a pastie was something entirely Different. Pasties were good, but Nothing compared to the Cudighi sandwich. We chanced upon a small bar/restaurant called "UP Chuck" (we had to stop, if for no reason other than the name) in Kenton, MI and they steered us to Lowery's Cafe on MI Rte28 on the west side of Ishpeming, MI as the best place around for Pasties. God, were they right! An old guy at the bar (it was about 1030AM...) said to try Lowery's Cudighi sandwich as well. ...I wish I could thank him. A great recommendation.

All this goes to reaffirm how interesting Life can be when you roll along and take it as it comes. Great experiences, with an occasional squall like the current thunderstorm, blowing through to add some excitement.

Life is Great!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're making me homesick, but in a good way. Fun to read your report. You're in for some (more) lovely territory as you continue across the UP. And then the Mackinac Bridge (presuming you are crossing there). There's a nice rest area on 2 a few miles before the bridge where I"ve stopped and overnighted many times (just in case the timing works out). Even if just for a break, it has nice (short) paths down to the beach (on the Lake Michigan side).

I usually cross from 28 to 2 on the road that goes through Germfask (#77), but there are lots of other good routes too. Lovely country.

Look longingly at the lake for me please Very Happy

Sunbeam Hot
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey,

You're right to worry about the hot weather on your planned eastern canal cruise. Recent years we've have had bad cruising weather in May, June and July (also August last year) due to extended periods of either rain or extreme heat and humidity. In May and June we typically get a 1-2 week period of rain, and a few Heat waves (i.e. over 90 for 3 or more days). Ask Two Bears about the heat last summer.

My suggestion is to do your cruise in Aug, Sep and Oct. This is usually our favorite time to cruise. Not only are the days likely to be sunny in the 70s or 60s with cool nights, but there are fewer Thunder storms. And, ya get foliage which is spectacular. Oh yeah, fewer boats, too so there is usually room at town docks.

One disadvantage is that the Canal operating hours are reduced. But, that isn't too significant as you're not going to be trying to get anywhere fast on such a cruise.

Rick from Maine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: