Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month ago I undertook the repair for my bulging twenty gallon fuel tanks. I had planned to use the epoxy an upside down bolt technique. However, upon reading how the factory is doing the new tanks I decided to do a more temporary job for now, anticipating a “factory type” job in a couple of years. I pulled the fourteen screws into the deck. Several had water damage and were not holding at all. All holes were rooted out, enlarged and filled with epoxy. I took the hold down cleats and made several channel in each so water could flow under the cleat. The cleats were then reinstalled with polyurethane caulk after seriously scoring the smooth undersides of the cleat. The starboard panel were then moved to the front of the cleats and secured with six screws each. The hold down straps moved upwards, some pieces of starboard of various shapes and thicknesses were glued to the back of the panels as gap fillers. The starboard panel is beginning to lose its bent shape. Should last awhile. As I was doing this I couldn’t believe the original system. Lousy caulking job, pieces not fitting properly, etc. Not surprised water found its way in. It was a bad system – but poorly implemented. <g> It is great that the factory is going with a new system. It is also great that Jeff M said if I brought my 2004 boat to the factory he would fix it (just not likely to make the 2,500 mile trip). In another thread I have a request for help with a new found problem, leaky fuel tank (20 gallon).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Susan E in for some minor problems on monday and while I am showing the guy (forgot his name) what I need fixed he notices the tanks are the old system. So he says that he will redo them while he has the boat just because they can. How often has a manufacturer of any product ever told you some thing like that. I am use to having to argue just to get the warranty work done, not have them tell me "oh by the way we changed that after you left the factory so we will do the new upgrade for FREE. They are also coming up with a new way to mount the table. This has been one of the biggest headacks for us. the dam thing will not stay put. The new system will employ threaded knobs that will secure the mounts in place. much like the four bolts on a scotty down rigger. should be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: