The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

AirHead/NaturesHead vs. Jabsco Electric Flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: AirHead/NaturesHead vs. Jabsco Electric Flush Reply with quote

I've read most of the threads on here and sailnet, etc. to get a good idea on the pros and cons of these systems. That being said, most of the threads on here were older.

Those of you running composting toilets, are you still happy with them? Still no real odor problems?

Has anybody done a retrofit of one onto a 25 cruiser or 26 Venture? If so, how was it?
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat has an Airhead on Daydream (25) since he bought the boat new. He has had no problems with it that I know of. I was just on the boat last month and was not aware of any odor.
He may give you an answer at some point.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed a retrofit of an Airhead in place of the factory all-in-one toilet/tank system.

The first thing I did was remove the old system and the associated plumbing. In order to make the sole look a little more uniform after removing the old system, I put down some Kiwigrip deck paint. I found some plastic plugs at McMaster-Carr that were nearly the same as the plumbing holes through the back wall and siliconed them in.

The vent is hooked through a right-angle cowling to a solar vent on the cabin top. I also hooked up the muffin fan that comes with it with a switch to run it separately if I want to. I made some aluminum threaded "tabs" that I slid behind the window frame to tie-back the hose in the corner.

The install of the main unit was quite easy. It is quite a bit smaller so there is more "moving around" room in there now as well.

I haven't had any experience using the unit yet, as I am about 2 months away from re-splashing after a MASSIVE number of mods (all to be posted after launch).[/u]
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same info again here, just trying a new feature of Photobucket called stories -- Airhead Install

[sorry for wasting bandwidth]
onthewater

City/Region: Southwest Missouri
State or Province: MO
Vessel Name: Sal Salis Vita
Photos: Sal Salis Vita
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on our third season with the Nature's Head, and absolutely love it (if you can "love" such a device!)

We removed the factory head, and easily installed the Nature's Head. It probably took about six hours time, all together

The Nature's Head does everything advertised with ease and efficiency.

We would never, ever consider returning to the marine head/holding tank combo.

That pretty much sums it up.

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Which composting toilet is the winner Reply with quote

I see we have both Nature and Air Heads here. Any input on which one you like best? I like the no-tip the seat idea but these two units fight it out in public all the time, hard to tell truth from hype!
bob
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Ray and Onthewater. Both very clean installs and definitely gives me some ideas.

Onthewater, since I also have a Venture 26, what did you end up doing with the associated, plumbing, waste tank, through-hulls, etc? Are you still using the waste tank as a gray water tank for say the shower?

What prompted you to vent out the side instead of the top?

How has the odor situation been? Any pointers to look out for either in regular use or with the install?
PeterQ

City/Region: Annapolis & Mt Victoria
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Sea Wings
Photos: Sea Wings
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed both composting heads using the manufacturer's web sites, YouTube, and other C-Brats comments. The Nature's Head and Air Head are very, very similar. One is not especially better in performance or materials than the other. Retail for the Air Head is $996 and Nature's Head is $875, for a difference of $121.

The Nature's Head liquids bottle is translucent and is in view from the front of the unit. Air Head's liquids bottle is solid with a replaceable site tube instead, which is a nicer, more discreet setup.

Removing the Nature's Head liquids bottle requires lifting the top off of the solids chamber, which is not a good deal! With the Air Head, the bottle unhooks without disturbing the rear solids chamber (better).

These two small differences lead me to go with the Air Head. I do believe that either unit would give you good service, though.

Pete

Hurricane SD191
Hobie Wave

Each day is a gift - especially if it's spent on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: