The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fate Is The Hunter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Fate Is The Hunter Reply with quote

D.D.T.
The water is shallow on the east coast so when we sink our boats we can stand on top of them and flag down a passing boater for a ride. You can't do that in 600 feet of water. In most areas we have to head out six miles off the Jersey coast to get into sixty feet of water.
D.D.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Looking at the two screen images it looks to me that while the Raymarine screen cap has a somewhat different presentation (the scales are not the same), the same information that appears on the right screen is on the left. Looking at the two images it seems to me that as far as the marine portion goes, the Raymarine chart and the iPad chart have identical information.

The Raymarine chart does show a line representing the dike that is shown in the chart on the right. The dike marking appears to be in the same place on both charts. The dike is also shown at the exact place on the Raymarine chart where you hit it.

Based on the history track it looks to me like your heading was about 45 deg to the left of the channel heading.

There is no scale apparent in the screen images, so it is not clear how wide the channel is. However, given that the water on both sides is very shallow (I'm guessing the depths are in feet), and that there are plotted obstacles on both sides, I would have been very careful in this area.

SoCal,

I take responsibility for the accident. I had been looking at the plotter, but nothing really stood out. Believe me, that line is tiny, and unless you have your face right in it, it almost looks like a depth boundary. Remember, I got up to stand and looked forward at the cans. In those brief seconds, a boat going 15 mph in dead channel will go off into the rocks, because there is another bend in the channel toward the opposite banks. It happened so fast, it was unbelievable. I'm curious. Look at the two charts and tell me if you honestly think the Raymarine chart is adequate in warning about the impending dangers? Yes, in hindsight, I should have been more cautious, but it was a series of factors that led to the accident, which is why the subject was given that title.

Rich

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
I'm quite the baby in shallow water. which is water under 30ft deep for me.

I know the feeling you describe. At one point I moved to the Chesapeake after years boating in deeper waters (Great Lakes). It took me a long time to get used to spending *all day* out boating (in deeper draft boats) and never seeing more than 18 feet on the depth sounder! Shocked Of course there, if you do hit bottom, it's likely to be soft mud, so that helps.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
Look at the two charts and tell me if you honestly think the Raymarine chart is adequate in warning about the impending dangers?

I took a look at the two (thanks for posting them side-by-side like that). My first reaction was "The Raymarine chart looks awfully 'simple'." My second was, "But let me look and really compare." Then "Well yes, the dike line is technically on the Raymarine chart, but I can sure tell you which chart I would rather use to pilot my boat by - the other one!"

It's clearly not an area to wander even slightly outside the channel, no matter what charts one is using, but.... I'd want the chart on the right.

One time a friend and I were heading up a section of the ICW. We had a 6' draft, and it was his first time on that waterway. I had stressed that we had to say not only in the channel, but near the center if possible (there is a lot of traffic, so it's not always). I'd no sooner gone below when "thump," we were aground. I think he'd gone about 1" outside the channel. After we kedged ourselves off, we continued on...

Sunbeam
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with DuckDogTitus, if I see 10 feet I'm worried, at 7 feet I'm sweating and at 5 feet I'm dead still in the water deciding which way to turn for deeper water. And that's with no tides and virtually no rocks or tree stumps. Don't think I could get myself to do much exploring there in the NE area. And as for the charts, I never would have seen (still don't) the dike on the Raymarine.

Jake
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great reminder to be more careful in shallow waters.

Hope you get your boat back to operational soon.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Forgot to ask, how deep was the center of the channel and about how wide?
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Rich,

Forgot to ask, how deep was the center of the channel and about how wide?

Approximately 450 feet wide and 12 feet deep.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the better chartplotter displays, it is easy to see the placement of those old rock dikes. At low tide, I bet they are at least partially exposed, which would provide a running visual reference for the actual edge of the maintained channel. But, running at high tide, I bet the high water leaves you with naught but the channel markers for guidance, with an apparently wide expanse of open water.

I think running curvy, shallow channels in a very shallow bay is a nervewracking game. I have only done that once, between Indian Island and Marrowstone Island, up close to Port Townsend, and it just about drove me nuts!

C-Nile, thanks for the heads up. A good object lesson for the rest of us. Hope you are back on the water soon.

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
As with DuckDogTitus, if I see 10 feet I'm worried, at 7 feet I'm sweating and at 5 feet I'm dead still in the water deciding which way to turn for deeper water. And that's with no tides and virtually no rocks or tree stumps. Don't think I could get myself to do much exploring there in the NE area. And as for the charts, I never would have seen (still don't) the dike on the Raymarine.

Jake

In Galveston Bay, 10 ft is high tide, 8 ft is about normal, and my depth sounder alarm is usually set for 3 feet. And BTW, what's a rock? Confused

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the damage to your boat. A few lessons here. One is to study the route you are going to run before the voyage. Many of us boated for many years without chart plotters, and had to rely on paper charts and many instincts.

Second there are boat handling characteristics which occur when the boat enters shallow water--and you went into very shallow water to cause that damage to the keel. The wake begins to pile up and the boat begins to feel less responsive.

Always have two sets of eyes if in critical areas--and narrow channels are critical areas. Also never assume that the next buoy marks the channel. There may be obstructions between buoys.

Depth sounder--was it on, were you watching it--was an alarm set? That is another warning.

Situational awareness.

Good luck on getting the boat repaired and the engine fixed. I tend to agree that in this situation that you would have had both engines down--and suffered more damage if you had.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Looking at the better chartplotter displays, it is easy to see the placement of those old rock dikes. At low tide, I bet they are at least partially exposed, which would provide a running visual reference for the actual edge of the maintained channel. But, running at high tide, I bet the high water leaves you with naught but the channel markers for guidance, with an apparently wide expanse of open water.

I think running curvy, shallow channels in a very shallow bay is a nervewracking game. I have only done that once, between Indian Island and Marrowstone Island, up close to Port Townsend, and it just about drove me nuts!

C-Nile, thanks for the heads up. A good object lesson for the rest of us. Hope you are back on the water soon.

Dave,
I went by the area on land yesterday at low tide, and those rocks were at least one foot above the water. You have it right on all counts.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Sorry to hear about the damage to your boat. A few lessons here. One is to study the route you are going to run before the voyage. Many of us boated for many years without chart plotters, and had to rely on paper charts and many instincts.

Second there are boat handling characteristics which occur when the boat enters shallow water--and you went into very shallow water to cause that damage to the keel. The wake begins to pile up and the boat begins to feel less responsive.

Always have two sets of eyes if in critical areas--and narrow channels are critical areas. Also never assume that the next buoy marks the channel. There may be obstructions between buoys.

Depth sounder--was it on, were you watching it--was an alarm set? That is another warning.

Situational awareness.

Good luck on getting the boat repaired and the engine fixed. I tend to agree that in this situation that you would have had both engines down--and suffered more damage if you had.

Bob,
You are absoutely right about doing prework and not relying on the chart plotter. I know you have stated this before, and I should have heeded your advice.

The area I hit was a dike composed of rocks piled upon each other like a stone wall. So I went from relatively deep water of 7 feet to less then a foot instantly. What slowed the boat down was the skeg of my motor dragging across the rocks, bringing me to a stop quickly. Momentum carried me over the dike. I actually had the misfortune of hitting a higher area of the dike, because I found a deeper area to pass over using my kicker. Let me ask you: do you think that when my motor began hitting the rocks that it lifted the stern up, pushing the bow down, and that is what caused the abrasion on the rocks?

I wish I could tell you that I was not paying attention, bit I was, and that's what really concerns me. As I stated previously, this was not a question of gradually running into shallow water. It was deep water and then bang? I had been looking at the plotter, but I got up at a most inopportune time.

Situational awareness? -- You got that right. While the majority of blame for the accident rests soley on my shoulders, the Raymarine chart plotter's lack of warning information was a factor along with a series of random events that all contributed.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Update

Since most of you may never have made an insurance claim on a boat, I thought it would be worthwhile to share with you the process.

My insurance company is Progressive. I placed a phone call on Saturday directly to the company. On the following Monday, the claims adjuster made an appointment with my marina, Port Niantic, and on Wednesday, the claims adjuster spent a good part of his day, along with my marina's mechanic, to extensively inspect for damage.

The agent had the mechanic pull the propeller shaft so that he could ensure it was not bent. His equipment confirmed It was bent slightly, so he authorized it to be replaced along with the propeller and gear housing. He noticed one of the trim tabs was bent, and authorized that to be replaced. Regarding the hull, he did not think it was too big a deal. So my initial assessment was correct in that there were no major structural issues. It's mostly filling and gelcoat, but obviously, it requires a person of excellent skills to do a good job.

I can't overemphasize how important that keel (or chine?) running lengthwise from bow to stern saved my Marinaut from more serious damage. If the bottom had been flat, who knows what would have happened.

All told, the damage was approximately $5,300, and I have to pay a $375 deductible -- not bad for bone-headed boat driving on my part.

The agent said he would continually check in with the shop to ensure that the repairs are proceeding well, and if any undiagnosed issues related to the accident arise, he would address that, too.

Wow! -- Progressive is a great company to deal with. I used to deal with an insurance agency to handle my insurances, but have found that dealing directly with insurance companies is an excellent way to go, and not only am I pleased with their service, but also with the cost savings over going through insurance agencies. I'm sure that those of you who are independant insurance agents are cringing, but honestly, I don't see what an agency buys me. I'm actually thinking of going direct with auto and homeowners insurance next year.

Over the next 5 years, my boat will be replaced if there is a total loss at the full insured value as stated on my policy, to include all electronics. In the future, after the boat is 5 year's old, I'll need to negotiate with Progressive to insure my boat is on an agreed value. Most policies revert to cash value after the initial 5 year period for a new boat. This is a bad thing, and in the event of a loss, one may not get compensated for what the boat is truly worth. Agreed value is based on a mutually agreed upon value between the insured and the appraiser as to what the boat is actually worth. This may cost more money, but it offers a lot more protection. Those of you who are C-Dory owners know that your boats command a high resale value if well cared for, because C-Dory's are such well-built and seaworthy boats. So I would not assume that that you would be adequately compensated with a cash value policy. I'm sure other C-Brats members who have actually gone through this process as described are more well-versed on this subject than I am, so I defer to them.

Thanks

Rich
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
Good news from the insurance company! I also have progressive. A few years ago, I was at an idle and a 1 1/2" stick under the water was caught between counter rotating props on a Bravo 3 outdrive. I the stripped the gears in the lower unit. I took the boat to my mechanic--and he suggested that since there was debris in the water from Hurricane Ivan, that might be the cause. I was skeptical--but my experience with Progressive Insurance was the same as yours. The insurance covered the replacement of the entire lower unit.

One other thought about chart plotters--believe it or not many of the navigation charts say "not for Navigation". I run two chart plotters. One on large scale and one on small scale. I also double check with both paper chart and now days the I pad.

Good luck on getting the Keel and lower unit repaired. I am sure the boat will be as good as new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: