The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Thanks for the information on your Manson Supreme 25#. At 9300 lbs, your boat weighs 2.7 times more than our Marinaut. Applying that same ratio of anchor weight to total boat weight, one would think that 14 pounds should be sufficient for the Marinaut, but all things are not equal. I looked at your anchor and see why it may be a superior design for silty bottoms. I’ll keep a eye out for your Rosborough RF-246 “North Star”, because we plan to do the majority of our cruising within a 50 miles radius of Niantic, CT.

D.D.,
My wife and I are on the same page with you. It’s funny -- we spent 3 weeks on our boat in Anacortes, WA and loved it! But it was at a wonderful marina (Cap Sante Boat Haven) and a beautiful town, Anacortes, which rivals Greenport. We very much prefer marinas so that we can get off the boat and enjoy walking, restaurants and a good shower. After about 14 hours on the boat, we have an overwhelming desire to get our feet onto land by any means possible. We don’t drink, so there is no way for us to become anethetised should we have to be on the boat any longer. This is not to say we don’t love our boat and love being on the water; we just need to get off from time to time, which is why marinas fit the bill for us.

Bob, Joe:
If we desire to spend a greater time anchoring overnights in the future, we will have to get a windlass, so I agree with you completely.

Bob,
Regarding crime at marinas, I’m on your page, too. My wife and I were at Greenport, NY in May, and there were only two boats in the marina. It was spooky. Gangs of kids were hanging out at the marina and some were walking onto the docks. Some kids were boarding boats. There essentially was no security. We did not feel safe, nor did we feel that our boat would be safe at night if left unattended. It’s too bad for Greenport, because we would otherwise go into town for dinner or shopping. I realize that later in the season, when the place gets busy, it’s safer, but they have a real problem off-season with security, in my opinion. If these places put up signs such as “No Unauthorized People Beyond This Point,” someone needs to enforce the rules. In another example, my wife and I spent a few nights in La Conner, WA last year. The men's restroom was a filthy -- fecal material was strewn all over the shower floor -- because some inconsiderate person as messy as his dog left it that way. There is a sign prominently posted that no animals are allowed, but again -- who enforces the rules? We were also concerned for security there, too, because the restrooms were open to, and the docks easily accessible by the general public. Our choice, if we lived in Washington, would be to never return unless we had to. That’s why I think it is sometimes better to go to off-of-the-beaten path marinas with minimal services with the benfit that they are in a more secure location. As for mooring bouys, I don’t think they are any less secure in season when one lives in crowded areas. Unattended boats are easy prey. Perhaps this is a subject for another thread?

All,
The 22 pound Lewmar Delta for our 3500 pound Marinaut (fully loaded) is more than enough anchor. It sticks like the devil. We have absolutely no fear that it won’t hold. Our biggest fear is disengaging it from the bottom and pulling it up with my hands the way they are. So we’re sticking with the 14 pound Lewmar Delta for daytrip anchoring, and will only use the 22 pounder in rare instances. I’m thinking about carrying it on board for long trips should the need arise to anchor due to bad weather, or if we plan to anchor the boat overnight in a crowded anchorage where we would need to use less scope.

Thanks everyone,

Rich

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you should have a variety of anchors--because the Delta is not good in mud--for that the Fortress (or Super Max) is the best. I must have a dozen anchors in the garage--carry the two Fortress (6 and 7 lbs) and the Delta 14. for the 22 normally. If a 3rd choice, then the folding Northill. If any chance we will be in storms, then the FX 37 comes along...in pieces. and stowed below.

My testing found that the Manson Supreme was a great anchor in sand/shell, thick mud. Probably not as good in soft mud. Our experience is that it was close with the stock roller on the 25, but would work. Best to have rollers specifically designed for each anchor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Nile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Bob; I'll look at the other options.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief update: I wish to confirm that the 14 pound Lewmar Delta anchor does not seem to hold in a stiff breeze (10 knots) when anchored in muck. It holds fast in sand, but in that black, fine silt muck that we so often see in anchorages, it acts more like a farm plough then an anchor. I had 7-1 scope, and even when putting the engine in reverse and dragging the anchor for an appreciable distance, it did not hold. I can tell you that my 22 pound Lewmar Delta holds in similar conditions, but it does not fit my bow roller, its very heavy -- almost too heavy without a windlass -- and had I to do over, I would have pursued other options as mentioned by Dr. Bob and others on this site.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Betty Ann anchor update.

I removed the Lewmar 14 pound delta, because it just does not hold in silty bottoms, and replaced it with the Lewmar 22 pound anchor. The Lewmar 22 pound holds like the devil in all conditions, and needs little scope relative to the lighter anchor it replaced.

As for the Lewmar 22 pounder not fitting on the BRM-2 bow roller -- that's not quite true. I used nashua tape (as a temporary measure) to build up the bottom of the shank that rests on the roller channel by 3/8". It very nicely prevents the shank from hitting the fiberglass. I use a 12" mini-shockles, which has a load capacity of 600 lbs., for firmly holding the anchor in place. I'll post a picture of the arrangement in my photo album later this week.

As for the tip of the anchor hitting the bow upon deployment and retrieval, that is most certainly true if one is not very careful. I'm using a temporary bow shield to prevent damage, and remove it after stowing the anchor.

As for the weight of the anchor -- the 22 pounder, to me, feels three times heavier than a 14 pounder. It's hard on the back, even though I tried to keep my back straight, as Bob Austin suggested. My recommendation to people is that when you get up to that heavy an anchor (at 22 pounds), a windlass will really save your back, arms and shoulders. As people suggested on the forum, there are other anchor designs of lighter weight that can be employed in silty conditions, so these work, too. I would have pursued those other options had I not already spent nearly $180 for the Lewmar 22 pounder. (Like a fool, I should have asked the group for advice prior to purchasing my anchor, but that makes too much sense.)

Thanks,

Rich
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

I do not have a Marinaut, but while we are talking anchors. Last year I used a 16lb Bruce, never a problem. This year I am using a 15lb Mansard, no problems so far. Next year I will decide which anchor will be my primary and which will be my secondary. Problem right now is I like them both.

Martin.
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

Ooops, I meant Manson not Mandard. Embarassed

Martin.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small Bruce anchor knockoff. If I ever feel its not enough, I send down an extra 10 lbs of lead. Lead is a downrigger ball on a cariribeaner.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
I do not have a Marinaut, but while we are talking anchors. Last year I used a 16lb Bruce, never a problem. This year I am using a 15lb Mansard, no problems so far. Next year I will decide which anchor will be my primary and which will be my secondary. Problem right now is I like them both.

Martin.

Hello Martin,

Our boats are physically the same size and weight. As I had stated, while the 14# Delta holds fast in sand, it does not do so in silt, which forced me to go to a 22# Delta. Others have said that the 15# Manson holds better in silt. Have you had an occasion to test your anchor in silt?

Rich
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

Hello Martin,

Our boats are physically the same size and weight. As I had stated, while the 14# Delta holds fast in sand, it does not do so in silt, which forced me to go to a 22# Delta. Others have said that the 15# Manson holds better in silt. Have you had an occasion to test your anchor in silt?

Rich[/quote]

Hi Rich,

My anchoring so far with the 15 lb Manson has been in local waters, I have 35' high test 1/4" chain. Mainly mud or a mud/sand mix with gravel or small stones thrown in. Sets well, no probs. I chose the Manson as that is the rig that Sam on "Retriever" uses. When I met him he said that he is quite happy with his Manson, and he is anchoring in all sorts of bottoms.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: