The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Has any one ever mounted a kicker on the swim platform

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webminer2

City/Region: Charlotte
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Sweet C"
Photos: Quiet Time
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Has any one ever mounted a kicker on the swim platform Reply with quote

I can't mount a kicker on the starbord side of the transom and just wondered if anyone has ever mounted their kicker on the swim platform. Please post a picture if you have. I know that there are several mounts made to do it on ohter boats.

I could mount it on the starboard side if I use a Garlick motor mount but it will put too much weight on that side and since I usually will be by myself it will list the boat too much.

Thanks
webminer2
"Quiet Time"
16' cruiser
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little Googling and found lots of examples of kickers mounted to swim platforms (with modified mounts) but what is wrong with the port side?
Webminer2

City/Region: Charlotte
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Sweet C"
Photos: Quiet Time
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Motor mount on swim platform Reply with quote

It's a question of boat balance, also all the control cables and fuel lines are in the way. Since I will be by myself I want to keep the weight from all being on the starboard side.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread your original post and thought you were putting the motor on your starboard, that confused me... I must work on my elementary reading comprehension skills Wink

from what I saw on multiple other websites people were using various garelick mounts on their swim platforms:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71388&product=92839
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done kicker mounts on swim platforms on a number of boats. On the C Dory there are a couple of issues. The swim platform is not as strong/ strongly attached as some boats are, so you would be limited to smaller motors. `It would probably be OK up to 4 HP, maybe 6 HP if the weight was less than 75 lbs. Weight is not the limiting factor, but the thrust and torque are potential issues. Also the motor will be close to the water, and some risk of getting water on the head unit.

I prefer either a lowering unit, or a long shaft with fixed mount.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intentionally put our kicker on the starboard side so I could have the swim step access completely free of cables. I put the kicker on a Mini Jacker which offset it enough that it didn't interfere with the cables. Also, if your kicker's tiller is on the right side when you look at it from the cockpit, you'll get more side to side steering range with the kicker starboard. From what I've heard, having the kicker on port causes the tiller to bump the motor well wall/lazarette and makes it hard to steer.

If I was single handing most of the time then I would consider moving both batteries to port, and filling the water tank to balance out the kicker and me. We don't actually use the water that much, so it's been very useful for balancing the boat!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob does bring up a good point regarding weight and stress. My previous boat - a Campion hardtop had a 6hp kicker mounted on the swim platform. A full width teak platform that looked plenty strong. When I removed it to sand/varnish I discovered several stress cracks in the mounting frame(aluminum).

I still have the kicker mount if anybody wants it(free to a good home) - they aren't too complicated though for somebody to fabricate.

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: