The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 22 and how they ride?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: C-Dory 22 and how they ride? Reply with quote

Hi all, I have been directed to visit you all from The Hull Truth. Over there I am known as Grady White and I have a 2003 212 Hydra Sports Center Console. Way back when I joined THT I had a 208 Grady White hence my ID there.

Anyway, we are thinking of getting a boat that is more conducive towards weekending. However, where we mostly want to weekend is roughly 6 os so miles out in the ocean at Block Island R.I.. Of which we do need to go into the Race which can be pretty darn rough at times.

There are 4 of us, me, the wife my son (who is 3) and our unborn daughter (is due Nov. 10th).

I am basically telling you all where I am coming from so that when I ask questions regarding the C-Dory's you will know more about me and could give a better answer... maybe right?!

Anywho, we are thinking of the C-Dory 22 but am wondering about how big it is and having enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids and also being that I do have to cross some possibly rough water if it would beat the heck out of the four of us being that I have heard it only has a deadrise of 2 degrees at the transom.

I guess that will be enough for now but I am sure I will be asking more in the near future... Thanks for all you help!

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you, Steve!

You'll find plenty of folks willing to help with your questions. And we can be pretty objective about it. There has been a lot of discussion about the rough ride, and usually it comes down to it not being as bad as some would think. The C-Dory is not a go-fast boat anyway, and on smooth water you can hold ~20 smph and run ~30 mph wide open, where the faster hulls will make half again that. But the CD will plane at 10 mph, even loaded, so in conditions that require any small boat to slow down, deep V or not, the C-Dory will probably give a better ride and still maintain good handling. And still get 5 mpg.

As for cabin size, if you and your family are able to dock (or beach) and get off the boat at this island off Rhode Island, it will surprise you how roomy it is. I know from first hand experience that young kids take up a lot more room than their size, and when mom needs the galley, they and dad better find somewhere to go. So if you are spending long periods of time in the cabin, the CD22 may shrink on you. The CD25 is a whole lot bigger than its 3' 5" extra length and 10" more beam would suggest. Don't rule that model out, because it might be closer to something you can keep using comfortably as the family grows.

Welcome to the Pub, and good luck with your research.

Mike

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Tyboo said about the ride. We have had a 22 and now have a 25. We do rough water of necessity all the time - we have to cross the Strait of Georgia almost every time we go out, departing from Blaine or Bellingham, WA. I can't think of a boat I would trust more than a C-Dory in rough water.

Roominess is another story. The 22 is a GREAT cruiser for two adults. It gets a little tight inside with one kid aboard let alone two, although some people do it. A camperback for the cockpit extends roominess, and if the kids don't mind sleeping in sleeping bags on pads in the cockpit that might be an option. Otherwise, look at the 25.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For small kids, the high freeboard in the cockpit of the 22 is great. They really have to climb to be at risk back there. Because it has a full bilge, the 25 actually has less freeboard. However, in every other respect, a family of four weekending on the boat will be more comfortable on the 25.

Regards,

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pub. Your kids will be very fortunate to be able to go weekending on the water. These boats make a great family fun tool that will help create fond memories that the crumb snatchers will be telling their kids about someday ( and they can take um out in the very same boat).

what they said. You could get by in a 22' but a 25' would work better.
The ride- perhaps the best way to explain it would be to compare it to an old Jeep. It's going to be bumpyer than a Caddy but when things get rough you know you'll get where you're going safely whereas the Cady is wallowing around, white knuckling it.

Some other nice things about the C-dorys- These boats are built to be used, there aren't many foo-foo nicknacks to break or wear out so you spend your time boating, not working on the boat. There are many 20 year old boats out there that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and a new boat
They're also pretty miserly on fuel, when gas gets to $3-$5 gallon (and it will) I'll still be boating while a lot of the go fast V-hullers are dreaming about the good old days.
This site is a wealth of info, most folks are owners that have owned many other types of boats (big sail boats, motor yachts, little boats, hell I think Dusty used to drive an aircraft carrier) and love their boat, but you better believe if anybody has a beef or complaint they let it be known. Fanatics? Cult? no, just practical folks that truly love exploring about in their little big boats.

These craft aren't for everybody, look them over, take a ride, boats are tools, gots to find the right tool for the job.
enjoy your boat shopping adventure Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: