View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank(s?) on the new 25 Reply with quote

Can someone who has fueled up one the newer CD 25's tell me if there is one or two tanks? It has a fuel fill cap on both sides, but does this mean there is two tanks or just one tank that can be filled from either side?
There wasn't any documentation that came with the boat telling me how the tank(s) are set up. I was fueling up last night and I was only able to get 200 litres, whoops I mean 52.9 gallons of gas in before the nozzle tripped, which should be well below the total of the tank. I didn't try filling on the other side after it tripped cause the gas station was a little crowded to try and turn around 50 or so ft of boat and truck and get the other side to the pump. Laughing Anyway I would appreciate the info from any of you who have managed to burn a tank or two in your 25's
Thanks
Ron
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank(s?) on the new 25 Reply with quote

One honkin' big aluminum tank with fill tubes on each side, Ron - you can see it in our and Anna Leigh's "under construction" pix in our respective albums. Unfortunately, I can easily put 100 US gallons in either side when that sucker is empty!

Here you go:

Ron on Meander wrote:
Can someone who has fueled up one the newer CD 25's tell me if there is one or two tanks? It has a fuel fill cap on both sides, but does this mean there is two tanks or just one tank that can be filled from either side?
There wasn't any documentation that came with the boat telling me how the tank(s) are set up. I was fueling up last night and I was only able to get 200 litres, whoops I mean 52.9 gallons of gas in before the nozzle tripped, which should be well below the total of the tank. I didn't try filling on the other side after it tripped cause the gas station was a little crowded to try and turn around 50 or so ft of boat and truck and get the other side to the pump. Laughing Anyway I would appreciate the info from any of you who have managed to burn a tank or two in your 25's
Thanks
Ron

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
Thanks for confirming what I thought. I was just surprised to have the fill nozzle click off after only putting in what was supposed to be a half tank.
Maybe there was more fuel left in than I thought from a previous partial fill. At any rate at C$0.87 per litre, (U$2.70 per gallon) I shouldn't complain if it takes less than 400 litres to fill the tank! Cigar
Ron
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be haywire about this, but it seems to me that the extra fuel filler was put in to serve as a vent if needed. The first CD25 had a single fill spout, and was difficult to fill all the way. My CD25 has pretty much the same tank setup, but a single fill. I usually skip putting in the top 10 gallons or so, because it burps out the fill tube unless I just dribble the gas in. The first 80 gallons will go in fast, but it takes a lot of patience to get the last 20 in. If Larry ever gets back from the SJs, he might be able to add to this. I think the factory replaced the fuel tank on Helen O with the newer double spout design because of problems he had.
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a trick I use. Have someone stand on the starboard gunnel so you get a slight list away from the fill inlet. I can fill to the last 7 gallons before I need to slow things down and have fewer problems with back splashing.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I thought that too, but one time when I was filling (on the water) with both fillers open it had fuel spurt from the opposite fill tube. So I now close the filler that I'm not using it.

I've learned a couple of other things in filling the boat. Probably because of the long thin tank, filling is very sensitive to the orientation of the boat. If filling on the water it helps to have someone stand on the opposite side when filling. On the trailer how level you boat is fore and aft can make a difference.

One other caution. When I put the boat away in storage last winter I followed a new theory to put Stabil in the boat and then fill the tank completely full. I came back after a warming spell to find that gas had expanded and had been seeping slowly out of the vent and down the side of the boat. It made a mess and also lifted the pinstripe where it had soaked. So, be careful about filling the tank too full and then storing the boat for extended times.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told that the plastic tanks had venting problems only (inadequate vent diameter) so the factory switched to a new design aluminum tank (107 gal.). Our boat was one of the first to get the new tank design. We've experienced no fill problems (you can fill it as fast as the pump can supply the fuel).

However, since so many earlier 25's had tank problems we insisted on a removable lid over the fuel tank or we wouldn't purchase the boat (ours is the first with a provision for removing the tank without cutting the deck, standard on the new 25's this year).

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 vents as well on the 25. This past weekend when I filled-up, ($2.59/g) the opposite side vent spit out at about 30 gal from full. Slowed the delivery down and got the rest in.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Just a thought to consider. Many gas stations automatically stop pumping when you hit $50 or some other arbitrary amount. When we fill that big hummer we tell the attendant to open the pump up until we're full. That may have been what happened to you, Ron.
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Patty here. Just a thought to consider. Many gas stations automatically stop pumping when you hit $50 or some other arbitrary amount. When we fill that big hummer we tell the attendant to open the pump up until we're full. That may have been what happened to you, Ron.

Good thought Patty, but it wasn't a pump price shutdown, it definitely was the tank telling the nozzle that it was full, burping or just plain didn't want me spending all that money at one time! Laughing
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: