JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you made informed decisions that led to a good cruise... see you back in the San Juans some time!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: San Juan's Reply with quote

Yes, you did make sound decisions and visited some great spots on your first trip to the San Juan Islands!

I love going through Deception Pass and like you don't always hit it right at slack, but am careful of timing and ready for squirrelly water. I have not always enjoyed the Skagit Flats. I bent a prop there once when catching up a piece of wood drifting there. And my first time through I went through at low tide and managed to go off course some at first. Now I pay close attention when I see anything on a chart that uses the word "Flats!"

Also the wind seems to provide chop quite often in the afternoon in Saratoga Passage as I have headed south. I have overnighted at Cornet Bay, after coming through Deception Pass and used the State Parks boating pass quite a few times there, then got up early and headed on south with less chop, often.

Way to go, and I hope to connect with you on one of your future trips there. I camp there every summer.

Cascadia, Ranger Tug 29
Sea Coaster, 2008 22 C-Dory, sold 8-11
baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Please hail us! Reply with quote

Hi, C-Dory and related fans,

Karen and Al plan to explore the southern reaches of Puget Sound this summer, starting around the first of July at Reston, WA. We plan to make the La Conner meet 7/-20-22.

If any of you are cruising the Sound in July please hail us. We always like company. We monitor Ch. 16 underway. For easy ID: Cape Cruiser 23, "HARMONY", green trim with full green cover aft, muddy green inflatable on top, 115 Yamaha.

See you on the Sound - or where else?

Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben and Kathryn,

Sounds like you had a great first trip to the San Juans. I remember when we were making our way through the SJ's our first season (2005) and it was all new and exciting. It's a great feeling to get familiar with a cruising area which includes knowledge of the conditions as well. I never take for granted that I've got it all figured out but it is nice to know that we've been around the block a few times. Like you, we learned that you need to keep a keen eye on the weather, the wind and the water out there on the "big" water.

It sounds like you were going through much of the same sensations we went through our first time. Congrats on a successful voyage and may many more come your way.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading this thread, as I hope to tow my CD-22 out to Ancortes or some other appropriate location to launch and cruise the San Juans. I'm a "fresh-water" boater however so would hope when I get to make the trip I can find some others with more experience to cruise with. I had hoped to have done this by now, and still have the charts and Waggoners cruising guide that I purchased a few years ago. Any advice for someone just in the dreaming or planning stages of making a trip out to the San Juans? If it matters, the trip would probably be sometime between the months of June and August. Thanks. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: