B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to have the older style molded lid and can easily fit several worthington 5# tanks in there, I have a 5# manchester tank but it is about a 1/2" to tall. A 5# tank is supposed to run the heater on high for over 10 hours...plenty for our needs for now, we're pretty much fair weather cruisers & anglers. I can do the Joel R. locker modification later if need be.

I mounted the regulator and gauge on the inside of the bomb shelter, and 5200'd some 3/4 pvc pipe across the stern and up the side to act as a race for the hose. I still have some pluming and wiring yet to do, I'm in no hurry to get this done,just want to make sure it's right.

That's a bummer buying a new tank that already has four years on the clock.

Regarding sure marine, I shopped around and their prices where better than most, real helpful folks and plenty knowledgeable, and not just looking to make a sale. I went through a grilling on tank mounting, vents, plumbing and they pointed out the downside of the run time of propane. I think once they where satisfied I wouldn't blow myself up and would be happy with the heater they warmed up to selling one, I'd trade there again.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent posts, I agree with the concept of propane for stoves, but not heating--OK for very limited time, as long as you have vented as this Propex heater seems to have.

We have always had, the regulator and valves in the compartment which is vented overboard. The regulators have been know to blow, and are also made of pot metal, so very subject to corrosion. We always had a solenoid valve to shut off the propane when the stove was not used. We also had a sniffer in the bottom of the bilge (but not where water could get to it) and one just in back of the stove, to allow use to be aware of any propane leak. The sniffer had both an alarm, and was wired to the solenoid valve so it would shut off the propane if a leak was detected.

Yes, I have both seen propane explosions in person, and treated patients with burns and injuries from propane (as well as gasoline)9--so I am very respectful of these inflammable gas appliances.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the furnace installed as per ABYC code and has the spousal unit seal of approval. I threw a couple of pics in the album. I think this will be a real nice addition to our motor yacht
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: