The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

epoxy ??????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Another reason for using the thickened epoxy - besides the fact that it's less able to run back out of the hole - is that it's much stronger. Unreinforced epoxy is relatively brittle, but once you reinforce it with a structural filler, or with "cloth," then it's many times stronger.

That's true too. In a small hole straight epoxy is fine but if you're filling a larger area it needs to given more strength. It's sort of like concrete. A sidewalk is usually just a few inches thick but only supports the weight of foot traffic. A garage floor has to support the weight of cars and the building that's built on it so it is reinforced with steel rebar or steel wire. Some concrete is reinforced with various fibers to make it stronger.

The same principle applies to epoxy and there are a lot of different fillers that can be used with it. Microfibers make it stronger and also help keep the epoxy in a glue joint. Microbaloons or microspeheres are just small (really small) particles that are much easier to sand and shape than solid epoxy so are used in a situation where the surface must be sanded quite smooth. For filling larger screw holes or smaller horizontal holes where the epoxy would run back out before setting up the various silica fillers (Cabosil is a common one) work well. Even chopped up bits of fiberglass work quite well but it's usually easier just to buy the appropriate filler. Sawdust works well too but you'll need to protect it from water intrusion so it isn't recommended for marine use.

Some really dense fillers are used when a threaded hole is used for a bolt or screw. JB Weld works well for this on motorcycles (don't ask) but I'd hesitate to use it in a marine application since I don't know what filler they use.

Stick with West System, System Three or one of the other brands designed for boat building and repair for the epoxy and fillers and you'll usually be safe.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full face masks and respirators are over kill for the dust of cabosil. I use the good 3 M surgeon type of mask.

I also think that maybe we are getting into a bit of overkill for filling a few holes in the transom.

Marine Tex is being left out--and if you want to just fill small holes and there is no wet substrait, I will use Marine Tex--I keep some on the boat, It is quick and easy, no big deal. If you have a serious project then Marine Tex (or similar types) are not the best way to go. Also fiberglass repair workers don't like Marine Tex because gel coat does not adhere well to it.

I also keep a couple of the squeeze bottles of the 5 minute epoxy by west systems to do the "wet out"--you squeeze equal parts--paint in in first, and then put in the MarineTex or what every you are going to use.

I also keep a gallon of West System Epoxy and several hardeners. Not mentioned is that you need to have the hardener appropriate for the temperature and working time.

I use nitrile gloves--far better than the latex, which will go bad.

I use yogurt cups for mixing. I don't like various paper cups--because they may have wax in them.

I love the Dremel tool and keep several around the shop--and at least one on the boat. This is easy to drill out and under cut.

For the larger projects, I prefer to use cabosil or fumed silica to start with, and as it thickens I add high density filler. I don't like the mill fibers,unless it is a deeper hole,and I need some structural intreguity--in most of those cases then I will be using glass cloth strands. Peanut better is about the right consistency. If right very little will run out.

I have not used the 610

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

I also think that maybe we are getting into a bit of overkill for filling a few holes in the transom.

It seemed to me that we were getting into a more general discussion of epoxy/fiberglass work and supplies, but I think I probably got carried away and caused that "slide" Embarassed In my world, there is always another task in the future, such as painting, gelcoating, fiberglassing, or more cored holes to take care of, but I should realize that does not apply to everyone. I agree that if one is only filling a couple small holes, then everything we have discussed in the thread is not needed.

Sunbeam
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike comments: " JB Weld works well for this on motorcycles (don't ask) but I'd hesitate to use it in a marine application since I don't know what filler they use. " I don't know what filler they use, but it does not seem to corrode or "rust". I have used it on the lower unit of a 25 hp outboard which collided with a uncharted rock....and it was still in good shape after about 3 years. A friend had an aluminum block/ water passage 6-71 repaired with J B weld by the head mechanic at Trade Tech in Los Angeles--he felt that hot salt water and the aluminum were fine. I only followed that repair for about 7 years, but it was still working well. It is certainly in my bag which I carry on the boat. They have "wood" & "Plastic" now. I have used both of these in repairs.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the 3M masks at work and I would say that for anybody needing them on a somewhat regular basis they are worth the expense. I find for dust the p100(pink) cartridge is easier to breath than with a surgical type mask. With their one way valve they are quit comfortable and light.

The organic cartridges contain activated charcoal and when not in use should be stored in a large ziplock freezer bag. As Sunbeam said they need to be protected(sealed) when stored so the charcoal does not continue to soak up and wear out when not being used.

When spraying most 2 part paints(containing hardener) a full face mask is required as well as covering any exposed skin.

Regards, Rob

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, I find that a cartridge respirator is comfortable, but I also have the problem that the paper-type masks don't fit my face very well, and thus let stuff in around the sides. I should probably wear my respirator with just the pink cartridges more often (I get in the habit of leaving the other ones on, but it's considerably heavier that way).

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:

When spraying most 2 part paints(containing hardener) a full face mask is required

Side note: I've always understood that an actual "supplied air" respirator was needed (and not just a regular, full-face one) for spraying a two-part paint such as an LPU.
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Mike comments: " JB Weld works well for this on motorcycles (don't ask) but I'd hesitate to use it in a marine application since I don't know what filler they use. " I don't know what filler they use, but it does not seem to corrode or "rust". I have used it on the lower unit of a 25 hp outboard which collided with a uncharted rock....and it was still in good shape after about 3 years. A friend had an aluminum block/ water passage 6-71 repaired with J B weld by the head mechanic at Trade Tech in Los Angeles--he felt that hot salt water and the aluminum were fine. I only followed that repair for about 7 years, but it was still working well. It is certainly in my bag which I carry on the boat. They have "wood" & "Plastic" now. I have used both of these in repairs.

That's good to know. I've carried JB Weld in my motorcycle tool kit for years (for uncharted rocks, I can't resist a dirt road in the mountains and have needed it more than once). I think I'll add some to the boat tool kit.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for respirators: If you are just doing light sanding or using particulates the surgical mask is fine--be sure you have a good face fit as SunBeam notes--there are different brands and types--some are better than others.

If you go to Full OSHA standards--yes, full face with external air source is required in many spray conditions.

However there are many boat yard workers who have been using the simple face mask respirators for all of their lives and do not seem to have to come to any harm. If you are in spray booth--definately the external air--should be no exceptions in today's world.

I have sprayed LP with just the simple mask--and it seems to be fine. But I have only sprayed it a few times. One has to look at the costs of the machinery etc. Again--the several time use--vs industrial and "overkill".

Something else not mentioned is the use of Tyvek suits and hoods. If I am doing any serious sanding, grinding or painting I put one on. They are cheap and disposable. I would put these as essential for anyone more than the casual hobby user.

Another clue is to use "GoJo" Citrius cleaner. I keep a couple of gallons around the clean up area, for both my hands and any tools etc. It is much better for you than using lacquer thinner. Also you should avoid cleaning with alcohol or petroleum base before using epoxy. Use a commercial degreasing solvent. Acetone or MEK is commonly used. Trichloroethylene is excellent but far more toxic--and used in more industrial settings. (respirator and skin protection should be provided), rarely by the hobby user.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Something else not mentioned is the use of Tyvek suits and hoods. If I am doing any serious sanding, grinding or painting I put one on. They are cheap and disposable. I would put these as essential for anyone more than the casual hobby user.

Good catch! Back in the beginning of the thread I thought about mentioning them, but in my first post I was specifically responding to Roger, and I think he's a farmer, so I was picturing him probably laughing at the idea of buying a suit when he probably has tons of old work clothes Very Happy I do like the Tyvek suits though and always wear one when I'm into epoxy/paint/etc.

thataway wrote:
Also you should avoid cleaning with alcohol ... before using epoxy. Use a commercial degreasing solvent. Acetone or MEK is commonly used.

Oh boy, this is news to me. I do use Interlux Solvent Wash 202 to first clean anything that might have mold release wax or other similar contaminants, but my usual cleaning solvent (and sometimes only one) is denatured alcohol. I use it before all of my epoxy jobs (the only time I don't use it is prior to polyurethane sealant). So this is a no-no? Why is that?

(I used to use acetone more, but switched to alcohol because I had such a hard time finding good gloves that will keep it off my skin - it is so drying. I got the idea from a yard. Not that acetone doesn't do a fine job though and I do still have it around for certain situations.)

Sunbeam

PS: This scared me enough (since I'm just about to go lay in some epoxy after earlier prepping with alcohol Shocked) that I had to do a quick check. I only have a few minutes, as I need to get back to my epoxying before evening sets in, but I did see that in several places WEST's instructions said to clean with alcohol prior to epoxying. I only looked at the short bit of text that was in the Google "hits," so I may be missing something still, but it was mentioned to wipe out blisters "divots" after grinding them and just before epoxying them with generous amounts of alcohol, and also is included in some of their repair kits (in the form of small alcohol wipes). I also see where MAS epoxies recommend prepping with alcohol. I think I'm comfortable enough to go back outside and finish up, but I would like to know more about why you don't recommend it though, as I know you know your stuff.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that alcohol is not recommended is that it is often cut with water. If it is pure alcohol, then that is fine. For example isopropyl alcohol which you buy will be 70% or 90%--the rest water. You want to be sure that there is no water on the surface.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks. I use denatured alcohol that comes in one of those flat cans (probably a quart?). I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I'm on the boat.

Sunbeam
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denatured alcohol is usually 90% ethanol--usually with methanol thrown in, but it can be any number of other "poisons". The biggest problem is isopropyl which many folks use since it is so cheap--and almost always cut.

I cannot comment on Roger's farm or dirty clothes. (A PM about farms), but the Tyvek is a good protectant from dust, fiber, particles etc which may get on or into the skin. I prefer not to get particles embedded in the clothes.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I cannot comment on Roger's farm or dirty clothes. (A PM about farms), but the Tyvek is a good protectant from dust, fiber, particles etc which may get on or into the skin. I prefer not to get particles embedded in the clothes.

I thought I said "old" or "work" clothes? Embarassed At any rate, not implying that Roger has poor laundry habits! I absolutely should have mentioned the Tyvek suits, as I agree with you that they are a great way to go. I have cotton work coveralls that I always wear, but I still put hooded Tyvek on over them for any epoxy jobs. I even tape the first pair of nitrile gloves to the cuffs of the suit, because before I did that I would invariably stretch or reach and get epoxy on that one sliver of exposed skin on my wrist Angry
PeterQ

City/Region: Annapolis & Mt Victoria
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Sea Wings
Photos: Sea Wings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting tech thread! There's also a good article in the April/May 2013 issue of Boat/US Magazine on page 88 about re-bedding with epoxy and sealants. It also has big color pictures to boot! There's a general discussion of sealants on page 80 as well....

Their recommendations seem to mirror what's been covered C-Brats....anyone care to comment on the articles?

Pete

P.S. I have a CD25 on order and want to get smarter - y'all are a tremendous resource!

Very Happy

Hurricane SD191
Hobie Wave

Each day is a gift - especially if it's spent on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: