The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help! ? about bracket that holds on tail light on a EZloader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Help! ? about bracket that holds on tail light on a EZloader Reply with quote

All, a couple of weeks ago, my trailer was hit at Edmonds - only hit the right tail light but totally whacked it. On my EZ loader, the tail light is held on with a very sturdy bracket that was covered with a strong plastic cover that can be used as a step. The bracket was bent. Anyway, I looked at it quickly, and ordered the replacement parts from EZloader, bracket, light and cover.

Got those a few days ago and today went out to do what I thought would be a quick replacement job.... Anyway, I got off the first bolt, no problem. Then noticed there is a second bolt. This one appears to come from inside the rear brace on which the rollers are mounted - e.g. it looks like it supports a large fraction of the weight of the boat! Could it be that I can't replace the bracket that holds on the tail light without taking the boat off the trailer! Also, it isn't clear to me if the tail light bracket is not tack welded in addition to being bolted on with two BFB's (big f....n bolts). If it is welded on, not only will I have to take the boat off the trailer, I'll have to go to a welder. Anyone else tackle this problem in the past and know the answer? I'm a bit nervous about loosening that nut without either removing the boat from the trailer or try to fit a jack under the rear support. Even bracing/jacking the support makes me nervous since if I do have a problem and can't get the thing bolted back together, I won't be able to trailer the boat to somewhere to get the boat off.
Yeh, I could call the factory but they're only open during the day and the C-brats seem to stay up all night.

I've inserted an image of the bracket so you can see the bolt I am referring to - the other end of it is inside the horizontal bar at the read end of the trailer on which the rear rollers are mounted.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your first question, try this. With the trailer jack lowered all the way down, pile some blocks with a pad on top under the keel at the rear of the boat. Then crank the tongue jack up until most of the weight is off the rear set of rollers. Then you can remove the bolt and be able to wiggle the cross bar around to realign the hole. No problem.

But, looking at your picture, I think you should just smack that bracket with a big hammer and bend it back into position. Then put the new light on it and send the unused bracket back for a refund. It's a trailer, Roger. And no matter how good it looks, your wife still won't let you take it in the house.

I really doubt that bracket is welded to the frame, but if it is, you can cut (grind) the weld off, rebolt the new bracket, and tow the loaded trailer to a shop to get it rewelded. It ain't going anywhere.

Good luck. Ain't boats fun?

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I've considered just whacking it with a hammer but there are some stress fractures in some of the welds (can be seen in the photos) that will make it a little weaker as a step. Hence I'd prefer to put the new bracket on. The bracket was only $7 - would cost as much to ship it back.

The idea to get the weight off the back end is a good one.

Still hoping to hear from someone who made this replacement....
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I would just pull the nut off and leave the bolt in place. Then remove the bracket for the tie down and light and put everything back together. As long as you don't remove the bolt you should have no worries about getting it back together.

In the morning I'll take a look at the EZ-Loadr under my sled and see if there are any gotchas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: