Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Seeking input on fair price for Wallas 95 Reply with quote

Hi all,

My boat came with a Wallas 95 heater/stove, which I'm thinking of selling. After visiting Scan Marine in Washington (nice folks), I removed the 95 from my boat and sent it off to them so they could check it over and make sure all was good (I had never used it; guessing original owner never did either). They said it all looked good and fired up and ran well, and agreed that it didn't really look like it had been used. So now it's at Scan Marine, and I either need to have them ship it back to me, or .... I've been thinking about selling it, and I'm guessing that many/most people who might like to have it would be near Seattle. So perhaps now is the time. Thing is, I have no idea how much to ask for it. Here are details:

1) It's at Scan Marine where they fired it up and checked it over, and have pronounced it healthy and little or never used.

2) The top of the lid has some slight... well I'm not sure how to describe it, but there is sort of a "silver on silver" pattern and it's a little bit "off." Not scratched or dirty or discolored, but the pattern is a no longer perfect. Other than that all is in very good condition.

3) I pitched the old tank, as it had fuel in it, plus the tubing that leads to it. So the buyer would have to get a new tank from Scan. They have the same size (like a 1-gallon container of anti-freeze size), or a larger, squattier size.

4) I would need to send the exhaust hose and through hull to the buyer, in addition to the on/off switch, as I did not send them to Scan.

I'm slightly waffling because maybe I should keep it with the boat (not for me but for the theoretical re-sale). But then too I don't really know how much it's worth. Does seem a bit of a shame to just have it sit. OTOH, if I don't sell it, I can just have Scan ship it back to me.

So, does anyone have an idea as to the value of it? (I searched but didn't turn up much.)

Thanks for your input,
Sunbeam

PS: I should add that I asked at Scan and they mentioned something around $800, but I have no idea how in touch they are with this in real life.

Last edited by Sunbeam on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the one that came with my boat, only having been told that "it worked when I took it out", for $100

jd
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you want to reinstall it? We've had one on each TC and they work great both for cooking but especially for heating. We're not that far from you and have much the same wx. Do you not plan to use the boat at all overnight or in colder weather?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it's worth more in your boat (resale) than you could get for it. Unless of course your upgrading to something better. One of the best things about the c-dory for me is staying warm, I wouldnt be interested a pilot house without a heater.

That said, Ive seen them for sale in the Seattle craigslist for aroud $700 or so.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
My guess is it's worth more in your boat (resale) than you could get for it. Unless of course your upgrading to something better. One of the best things about the c-dory for me is staying warm, I wouldnt be interested a pilot house without a heater.

exactly why we turned down a brand new Trophy in favor of these 10yr old Dorys Cool

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far. Just so you know, I'm all for a heater! I'm just going to install something different (separate stove and heater). I do like a cozy boat Smile
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do decide to sell I would be interested in this. have been looking at heaters to instal, but a combo may work better. could go to seattle to pick up..
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bidding "war". I put in a PM to Sunbeam offering to buy the stove at 3:33 PM.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in from the boat and saw all my PM's and for a quick moment thought, "Wow, I don't really even know this many people on the forum." Of course then I realized it was about the stove and not my general popularity Wink

Of course now I'm thinking ... should I really be selling it? But no, I don't see myself using it and it seems a shame to just put it in storage when it's been freshly looked over by Scan Marine. Now, just promise there won't be a boycott of my boat due to "no Wallas" when I ever decide to sell it Wink

I will think it over while I eat dinner, and then if I still feel sure about it I will get back to everyone and settle on a combination of a fair offer and the time of the post. Then I'll come back to the thread one way or the other so there's closure.

Thank you to everyone for their input,

Sunbeam Hot
Jake B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what time things went down but I sent my pm and post around 3pm time here.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake,

It's possible that the times look different for different people because of how they have their time zone set (I'm not sure about that but guessing), however I can see everything in chronological order (regardless of time zone of origination), and I will be fair Thumbs Up
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't have a doubt about that. just never noticed the difference in time post...
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

For me, upgrading to something similar to what Sea Wolf did with a propane furnace and proper cooktop would be a major bonus when shopping for a boat.

I haven't chef'ed up any substantial meals on the wallas yet, but I doubt its going to work as well as our nice gas range in our home kitchen. Id prefer the upgrade!
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat came with an Origo alcohol stove, not meant for heating. At this point our only source of heat would be an electric heater while on shore power.

I do think, however, that given the choice, I would pick a boat with a diesel heater unit and an alcohol stove over an all in one unit. So from my perspective, I don't think you need to worry about loss of value, especially if you replaced it with something economical and simple like an Origo 4100.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
Sunbeam,

For me, upgrading to something similar to what Sea Wolf did with a propane furnace and proper cooktop would be a major bonus when shopping for a boat.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it. I've kind of come full circle. That is, I started out "knowing" that I wanted to go with a two-part solution. i.e. separate stove and heater. But the more I have researched and considered the options, the more I can see what a useful package the Wallas is. So I can see why it's very popular, as it's just hard to beat the small size, ability to stow btu's, and versatility all in one.

That said, I am going to go with a different solution, and it's nice to know that there are some people who would appreciate it should I decide to move on to a different boat. (I mean, of course I knew that on one level, but it's still nice to get input, hence the thread.) I debated - and I can see what makes the Wallas sweet - but for myself I'm going to go back to my original thought of making the boat how I like it. If/when the time comes to move on, I'll be able to show what I have done (and why), and then a potential buyer can decide whether or not it's the right boat for them Thumbs Up

Sunbeam

PS: I considered storing the Wallas, as I do typically like to keep anything I remove for future reference/posterity. However I'm out-and-about now, so that's not a simple option and plus.... now it's all fresh and ready to go whereas later it wouldn't be. Why not let it be enjoyed on someone else's C-Dory now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: