The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat Custom Trailer Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My correspondence with Jeff M and with EZ Loader is summed up as - EZ Loader is waiting to get their hands on the New TC hull so they can design a custom trailer. That design is to be modified to fit the current 24 TC hulls. I have also heard that the first New TC hull would be ready in March, oops April, maybe May, uhh June, well soon anyway.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scaley & others: Man, my pulse just picked up a beat or two a bit... I would love to be there on 29/30Jun, but can not due to earlier commitments. I understand the added length issue on the TC255 vs the TC24...but, the same hull design, the same method of floating it onto and off of the trailer rather than driving it on and off. I sent EZ-Loader the pics (and can send email to any others) of 2 things. One, was the Glacier Bay site where the EZ-Loader trailer set up is on their home page for their boats, and another set up I saw in Destin, FL by another Glacier Bay dealer. I can send those pics thru email to any who want them. You would think I really looked at Glacier Bays prior to purchasing the C-Dory wouldn't you. On the tounge extension, yes, we need it, but rather than adding it to my trailer, I think I am going to purchase one of the after market extentions. They come in 3 and 6 feet lenghts from the factory. I am thinking of getting the 6...just because of the depth or lack there of needed to float off the trailer to keep my bottom paint in tact. Another system requirement is large high trailer guides to keep the boat lined up and keep it from drifting down current or blowing sideways... and..they will have to be set up as to not effect the flat spray boards extending down the side walls of the boat. This sounds like Scott and Jeff may be planing and hoping to make the Blakely Gathering for a show-n-tell on the TC255.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: Where you from in TN. I was raised in Nashville/Mt. Juliet TN on the Cumberland River/Old Hickory Lake...and we just had our 1st gathering there and ran the river in Apr05. I also see you are in Hilton Head... I have a military friend getting married on Sat 9Jul05 @ 7:30pm at Colleton Landing on Pavillion Point Drive, Rose Hill Plantation which is in Bluffton, SC about 15miles from HH. I have slip reservations at Shelter Cove. Looks like I should be arriving on 6 or 7 Jul, and departing on 10Jul. I will be delivering the bride to the pier for a water front wedding. Gotta get FreeByrd shined up a bit.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: Got any pictures of your TC24 posted yet?
wayne

City/Region: hilton head island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Gno-C'm
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: tennessee Reply with quote

Byrdman,

I grew up on the river in Knoxville, left in '80 for various cities over the years. My family, meaning parents and brothers live in Brentwood TN. when you're down here on the island at Shelter Cove you are very close to our home and our boat is just around the corner, maybe 30 via water. Are you delivering the bride in your dory? If so, I would really like to see what you have done with her, not the bride, but the boat. I'm beginning to collect ideas as the boat is new to my family. This afternoon I'm going out with the kids and putter around and daydream.

No I don't have any pics yet, but will at some point. I'm not terribly computer savy.

Wayne
FRED & DEB

City/Region: EMMAUS
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Not Yet Named
Photos: Fred & Deb - TC24
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Tom Cat Stuff Reply with quote

Hiya Guys: I'm very interested in your discussion about trailers for Tom Cats. I purchased my TC-24 in 2002 and have towed her over 30,000 miles and have launched her in all kinds of places and in a variety of conditions in that time. I usually load and and unload her by myself and have found that powering her on and off is my launch method of choice. Once I got used to the distance thing it works quite well. I do have a 4' extension for the trailer hitch but have never used it. My tow vehicle is a stock Chevy dually 4x4 with camper and is high enough off the ground that most launches have gone off without much excitement or need for the extension, even with the camper on the truck. If there happens to be some volunteers on the the dock I'm not opposed to floating off but 90% of the time I've done the power thing. What fun!!

The weak link of this whole adventure has been the trailer. I believe that it was under sized from the dealer and just continues to deteriorate as the miles go by. To date I've replaced the following items on this Magic Tilt trailer: both axles, wheels(6), brakes(3 sets), tires(14), winch, dolly wheel, bunks and brackets plus alot of welding to the brackets and last but not least the lights. The only major item left over from the original trailer is the frame and tongue. The trailer is now the best it's ever been but I'm always interested in a better way to transport my otherwise reliable, stable and fun machine. If you come up with something new please keep me in the loop.

We were just at the Chesapeake gathering and it was really fun seeing so many boats and meeting other C-dory owners. Good job! I was wondering however if there was ever a gathering of Tom Cats? We'll be on the Chesapeake until October so if any other Cat owners want to get together please let us know.

Thanks, FRED & DEB
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, C-Brats

We have towed our TomCat over 27,000 miles since Nov. 2004. The first trip was the full length of Baja Calf. The trailer has worked well overall for transporting the boat. The main problems have been launching and loading. On launch the anchor snags on the bow stop if the launch ramp has much slope to it. On loading the problems have been in lining up properly with the submerged bunks. In any cross wind the boat will bend over the whimpy side guides.

I fixed both problems. I had EZ Loader make me a split bow stop. Two pads seperated by 20" so the anchor will fit between them as it slides off. I designed and built a center guide on "V" shaped and then beefed up the outside guide ons. Now there is only 1/2" clearance between the boat and the guides. Now the boat can only go on in the proper position. The EZ Loader people took pictures of my trailer and I hope consider the ideas when designing the new TC255 trailer. We will be the owners of #4 TC255 and want this one to be right from the start.

Fred ,
We are the couple who came and visited you and Deb when you were in the KOA campground in Richfield, Utah. Glad to see you didn't sell the TomCat.

Brent and Dixie
TomCat Cygnet

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: Yep, all of my family are still in the Nashville/Mt. Juliet TN area. Would love to get together with you in HH. I have sent you an email. Please respond and let me know where you are and some good contact numbers. We will arrive late afternoon on Wednesday, 6Jul and launch in the Shelter Cove marina (I think).. Could use some local knowledge of the waters between the marina and the plantation where the wedding is going to be.

ALL: Yep, between what we have all sent them on improvements on our trailers we have made, pics, other web sites ect... a trailer should be real close.... and truly CUSTOM.

Brent: Please send me the photos of your trailer... I had a CPU crash and having to rebuild some things.

Scaley: A big visit week for you this week... looking forward to seeing the results... and seeing whatever is ready on the week of the Blakely gathering.
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Cat Trailer Reply with quote

Hi Brent and Dixie: Thanks for the heads up. Glad there's no moss accumulating on your TC either. I am very interested in learning more about the center guides you designed and installed on your trailer. I have repaired my guides several times so your design sounds like a real winner. If you have any photo's or sketches to share I would really appreciate it.
We're not sure where we're going for the winter so if you have any suggestions please let us know. We really love the west coast of Mexico but because of the lack of proper launches we'd like to consider some other places. Warmer is definitely better!
FRED & DEB
Discovery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred & Deb and Byrdman,

I will post some pix of the trailer guides in a few days. I'm on our mac and the pixs are on the windows computer. Just leaving for a few days in the mountains fishing and camping.

Not positive but there may be some trailer pix on our Cygnet album on the C-Dogs site.

Brent
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent: Enjoy the mountains... have a great trip
Byrdman
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent: Thanks for the update. Have a super time in the mountains. We're heading down to the Chesapeake by Thursday but I do check my e-mail on occasion so after you send the photo's I will get back in touch to discuss it further if that's ok? Hi to Dixie.
FRED & Deb
Tom Cat

If there are any Tom Cat owners out there who plan to be on or around the Chesapeake this summer let us know as we plan to be there through October.
Discovery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred & Deb and Byrdman,

I will post some pix of my TC trailer modifications to the Cygnet album.

We had a great time camping for the last week at Mill Meadow Lake. Too small for the TomCat, but great for the Tracker Targa. Caught a limit of Rainbow Trout each day.

Fred, We will probably return to the Corpus Christi area of Texas this winter. Be in Rockport during Jan. and Feb.

Brent
FRED & DEB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent and Dixie:
We ran into a fellow Cat owner on the Chesapeake last week and had an opportunity to check out his trailer. It was a really good design and much better constructed than mine. He had installed a very substancial center guide which he said makes it much easier to launch and load. We're going back next week to take some photo's which I will pass on to you and anyone else who might be interested.
I am still interested in seeing how you modified your trailer and won't do any changes to mine until I have your photo's to use as a comparison. I dread the reality that I may have to scrap my Magic Tilt trailer all together and start fresh.
With all your traveling have you considered a third axle for your trailer? How about disc brakes and an electric to hydralic actuator? Just curious.
Deb and I will try to catch up with you and Dixie later this year as we're talking about heading to the Yucatan for the winter.
Bye bye for now,
FRED & DEB
Tom Cat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: