The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull Paint now dull where cleaned - Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browntdb

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
Photos: Tortuga Del Mar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hull Paint now dull where cleaned - Help Reply with quote

West Marine recommended MaryKay On Off Jel to clean the hull of my new to me CD-22 Now the blue paint is dull and not bright and blue as it was. What do I need to do to restore the deep blue color I had before.

Thanks,

Terry
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hull Paint now dull where cleaned - Help Reply with quote

browntdb wrote:
West Marine recommended MaryKay On Off Jel to clean the hull of my new to me CD-22 Now the blue paint is dull and not bright and blue as it was. What do I need to do to restore the deep blue color I had before.

A question (I realize you might not immediately know since the boat is new to you, but it will make a difference to the outcome): Normally, the blue sheer stripe (and other colored trim) on a C-Dory is molded gelcoat (just like the white is). I have seen where people have painted it (usually to change color), but it's not done all that often. So, is yours actually paint that you know of? If so, the next step would be to determine what kind of paint. I could see On/Off damaging paint (I'll have to look it up to make sure I'm remembering correctly, but I believe On/Off is an acid-based cleaner).

On the other hand, if your stripe is the original gelcoat, it should be okay. And yet it isn't... So why did it dull or change color? Thinking out loud: Perhaps the gelcoat was oxidized and someone waxed it or used a product like Poliglow on it to "bring it back to life," and that has now been removed by the On/Off. Can you post any photos? Not sure we could tell from a photo, but it might help.

Edited to add: If you used the gel cleaner, it looks like it's hydrochloric and phosphoric acid based. Here is a link to the MSDS:

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/63532.pdf

Sunbeam

Last edited by Sunbeam on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Hull Paint now dull where cleaned - help Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

When I bought my used boat it came with lots of scratch's along the blue stripe. I 'roughed' it up using a fine grit paper. Then re-painted it by hand using a brush. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it turned out great. Did not take long to do either.

Martin.
browntdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the original paint under the jel coat. product said it would not harm pain or jel coat. It just looks like the paint is oxidized and needs polished but I don't know which product to use for a boat.

I used a touch of Nu Finish on one spot, and it brought back the color, so I think it just needs a good wax/cleaner. I just need advice on what to use on a boat that will be in salt water at times. NuFinish is a car wax.

Thanks,

Terry
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

browntdb wrote:
It is the original paint under the jel coat. product said it would not harm pain or jel coat. It just looks like the paint is oxidized and needs polished but I don't know which product to use for a boat.

Okay, well just to be clear, paint and gelcoat are two different things. Gelcoat is a polyester resin, which on the C-Dory is laid up in the mold as the first layer. One wouldn't gelcoat over paint, but people do paint over gelcoat. At any rate, gelcoat is quite restorable, generally, so I would generally try to restore it if possible (if that's what you still have). If gelcoat (eventually) gets past the point of no return, then paint is the next logical step (or if one wants to change the color of course).

Thing is, you would use different techniques or products on gelcoat or paint (and different things for different types of paint, which can vary from a one-part alkyd to a one-part latex, to a two-part LPU, and etc.). So step one is to figure out what you have on the boat - the original gelcoat or something else.

Sunbeam

PS: Is this the product you used or was it a different product by MaryKate? (I guessed this one because it is a gel, but they make a number of different cleaners.)

PPS: A note on gelcoat waxing: Wax is generally used to protect the existing finish. It will add a bit of its own shine, but if your gelcoat isn't shiny, the first step would be to bring back the shine by compounding or even wet-sanding, and then polishing. Then once you have that re-developed the shine (basically by exfoliating the gelcoat), then wax to protect if from UV and other atmospheric factors. If you do have gelcoat and the acid dulled it, I would think you removed a wax or poliglow type product.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the compounding and polishing. On the recommendation of a boat builder friend/neighbor of ours, I compounded and polished the whole boat... it took me the better part of two full days. I used a 2000 grit compound. On his recommendation, I did not wax it afterwards. Next time I had the boat on the trailer, I decided to wax it. I did not compound the blue on the brow or the stripe at the top of the cabin, out of concern that it would ruin the black tape stripe. I did carefully go over all that by hand. A couple coats of wax there brought that back to its former shine.

Checking the MSD on Mary Kate On/Off, it is hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, and oxalic acid... don't let it get on the galvanized trailer or the tires! I use Starbrite Hull Cleaner (similar stuff), and am careful to put it on with a sponge and use a tarp over the trailer, flooding with LOTS of fresh water. Gloves and eye protection. Do not let it get on the bottom paint, if your boat is so equipped. I do NOT use it on the colored portions of the hull, only on the white; it is really good at taking the "mustache" off at the waterline.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Last week, the brow was due for some spiffing up - I put on 4 coats of wax to bring the shine back.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at West Marine gave you bad advice. The On/off would be mostly for stains near the waterline, but not for the entire boat! Remember that many folks who work at West Marine are not experts in the marine field. In fact at our local store, none are! Some get technical expertise by taking courses taught by West Marine. I have seen dark gel coat discolored by the products like On/off--usually a bit more harsh product.

First I would try using a rubbing compound by hand, and see how it polished out. I am not a fan of Nu Finish for boats. It is a polish, and does not protect the gel coat. Wax will protect the gel coat. Gel coat is fairly pouris and the wax will both fill the pores and protect form the UV to some degree. Waxing should be done at least twice a year.

Any compound on a small area will see how it works, and what it will look like. Jim's idea of a 1200 compound is fairly aggressive, but that may be what is necessary. I usually start with 3 M Finessette II by hand, and go from there. It may pay to have a professional do it the first time. I would put painting the color stripe way down the line on what I need to to to restore a boat, unless it has already been painted.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although, even if it was overkill for much of the topsides (and I agree that I would generally only use it for specific stains), I wouldn't think it would "wreck" gelcoat. It seems a bit like the Davis FSR (an acid/gel stain remover for fiberglass), which I don't think would damage colored gelcoat (although I have only used it on small areas of the white gelcoat). That's not to say I recommend using it for general cleaning, but I'd think it would be safe.

That's what makes me think that either the stripes/color has been painted over (and it *would* damage paint, I believe), or someone used one of the "topical" products to improve the gelcoat (such as Poliglow) and that has simply washed off re-revealing oxidized gelcoat that was under the Poliglow-type product. I say "topical," because things like Poliglow are coatings vs. actually "exfoliating" the "dead" gelcoat with compound/polish.

Hard to tell without seeing it, but trying to give you something to go on.

Sunbeam
browntdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I did use the product only on waterline stains. I went to the local marina in Corvallis and got a high quality marine wax and put it on the painted areas on the lower sides of the boat (on top of gel coat...my error in previous post) and the oxidation look pretty much went away. The gel coat on the non painted surfaces is still shiny on the boat, so just a good washing and waxing should do the trick.

I just stressed too soon I suppose. Thanks again for all the input to my problem. I really do appreciate it.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so maybe you were talking about blue bottom paint? I'm really glad to hear you have found a way to fix the problem (whew!), but still a bit curious as to which part of the boat was (temporarily) affected.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Poli-Glow Reply with quote

We have several older RVs. One is a 1973 white fiberglass SCAMP 13' trailer. Due to age (it had always sat outside), the gel-coat on the top had literally worn through.

I sprayed white paint (using a linen finish) over the worn areas, then applied Poli-Glow. Two years later, it still looks like new. Even given what I have told you here, you would not be able to tell where the Poli-Glow covers gel-coat and where it covers white spray paint.

I am so impressed with this product, that I also have applied it to our 32' Jayco fifth wheel trailer, and to our 22' C-Dory. I did all of these units two years ago; I plan to apply a new coating of Poli-Glow this season.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that now it sounds like the issue was the Mary Kate product affecting the color/texture of the bottom paint, and not the gelcoat at all (I bet the OP will come back and confirm).

Sunbeam
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep the :Poly Glow product up it will work for a number of years. At some point--usually about 5 years, it has to be stripped. That is where it is difficult.

Sunbeam, I have seen cases where acid wash has damaged gel coat. It probably was poorly applied, or perhaps a "patch", but it can happen, especially with dark colors.

That being said, it does sound as if it was bottom paint which he put the product on--and in that case "no harm, no foul".
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

That being said, it does sound as if it was bottom paint which he put the product on--and in that case "no harm, no foul".

Heh, literally!

And not that anyone wants to ruin their bottom paint, but Whew! that it wasn't gelcoat on the "new" boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: