State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Hi Dave,
1) The hole through the topsides of my boat was through solid fiberglass only, right from the inside of the boat to the outside. I could see the whole hole. So there was no chance for "interleakage" from what I could see.

2) However, said hole was 1" above the bottom of the anchor locker. So while it would drain just fine to a point, it could also leave 1" of water/mud/salt in the bottom of the locker. My boat's anchor locker had never been used, from what I can see, and the boat was stored indoors, so this had not happened... yet. But I plan to anchor as often as I can, so if my anchor locker is going to have a drain, I want it to drain the whole locker, not just the top 7/8 of it.
Sunbeam Hot

Thank you Sunbeam for your kind words about "Sea Shift". I totally agree with you about wanting to drain all of the water left in the bottom of the anchor locker and it sounds as if you have accomplished that.
If I am understanding you correctly, I am interested that you indicate that there was not a chance for leakage from the outside of your hull (clamshell at waterline) to a space that would provide water access under the v-berth. Perhaps our vessels were constructed differently in that area.

C-Brat #16
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
If I am understanding you correctly, I am interested that you indicate that there was not a chance for leakage from the outside of your hull (clamshell at waterline) to a space that would provide water access under the v-berth. Perhaps our vessels were constructed differently in that area.

Well that's what I was trying to figure out by posting in this thread. I had read previous thread(s) on the topic, so I knew this was a possibility when I "dug into" my anchor locker. But then from looking at it, I don't see what people mean; however I realize that maybe I'm not seeing something.

From reading, I was expecting some sort of liner or double hull inside the anchor locker. Now maybe there is something like that there, but it just doesn't look like the type of thing I'm used to seeing as a liner.

What I can see, inside the locker, is the inside of the hull, coming back in a V-shape from the bow (I can see the "lapstrakes" from the outside repeated on the inside). It's the "wrong side" of the fiberglass layup, like you would expect (the "right side" being the gelcoat on the outside of the boat). Then there is a bottom to the anchor locker. It appears to be a flat fiberglass platform that is tabbed in to the hull; and then there is a short (partial) bulkhead separating the anchor locker from the V-berth. That bulkhead is gelcoated on the after side, and the "wrong side" is in the anchor locker. That is also tabbed into the boat and to the bottom of the locker.

The drainage hole was a ~1/2" hole right through the hull side, coming into the locker about 1" off the locker-bottom, and about 1" ahead of the partial after bulkhead. The hull *does* look thick there (I'll have to measure, but maybe 5/8"?), and I tried to see if it was actually two thinner pieces of glass bonded together (like if there were a liner), which can sometimes look like one piece and which could conceivably leak. I can't see anything like that for sure though, and from looking at the inside hull sides, I can't see why or how it would be a liner. (Usually a liner would have gelcoat facing in, so the "wrong" side of the liner and the "wrong" side of the hull would be bonded together, with the two "right" sides showing.)

But maybe if I understood better how it (or other boats) were constructed I would change my thoughts. I'd definitely like to know before I close this modification up, because if there were any gap I would take care of it (differently than I will handle it if there isn't).

Sunbeam
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the lower screws on the clamshell penetrate the hull into the space below the anchor locker? Perhaps that's what Dave is talking about.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Do the lower screws on the clamshell penetrate the hull into the space below the anchor locker? Perhaps that's what Dave is talking about.

No, I don't think so - or at least not on my 22 - for two reasons:

1) the screws are less than half as long as the hull is thick (unless, as I was wondering about, the hull is "secretly" two different fiberglass layups bonded together.

2) All three of of the holes, if they had penetrated the hull, would have been inside the anchor locker, above the locker bottom.

Sunbeam

PS: I could take photos and post them, but not until tomorrow as my camera flash has given up the ghost, and it's too dark now.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some photos of my 22 Cruiser's anchor locker today, and I think I see what can happen. I wrote explanations right on the photos (which are below in this post), but I'll add additional explanatory text here.

When two fiberglass (or fiberglass-covered) pieces are joined together - say a bulkhead to a hull at a right angle - they are often "tabbed." What this means is that the two surfaces are sanded back for a few inches, and then strips of resin-wetted fiberglass are laminated in place as a joiner. Kind of like "taping" sheet rock, but with fiberglass. After this is done, the two surfaces (fiberglass strip and bulkhead or hull) more-or-less become one, and are usually slightly thicker as a result.

Ideally, the bonds are strong, perfect, continuous primary (chemical) bonds, but in the real world perfection is rare. So sometimes the bond between the "tab" and the hull (or bulkhead are not perfect). There may be a gap or pocket in places.

On the anchor locker, there isn't a liner, per se (at least not on my 2002), but the locker bottom and the partial bulkhead that divides the locker from the v-berth are both tabbed in. This tabbing extends up/forward from the bottom/bulkhead for a few inches, which means that it extends over the area where the anchor-locker drain hole is.

So, if there happens to be an imperfection/gap/air pocket in the tabbing bond that goes from the locker floor to the inside of the hull side (this would not be unusual), and it happens to be right where the drain hole is and extends all the way down, well, you now have a path for water to get below the anchor-locker bottom and under the v-berth flat (which is a liner module).

My original anchor-locker drain hole did not have any gap/imperfection where the hull and tabbing came together, but it was too high to drain the locker well. So I drilled a new, lower hole. This too did not have any really obvious imperfection, but upon close inspection (macro photo), I can see what just might be one. It doesn't look as though it goes deep enough to cause a gap/leak, but just to be sure I will seal it (with epoxy resin and maybe a bit of cloth or maybe just colloidial silica, depending on how it looks when I prep it). It's entirely possible that the drain hole on other boats could happen to hit a bigger gap/imperfection in the tabbing bond.

I was thrown off by the term "liner," as I think of that as being a (typically) gelcoated module that is bonded in to the hull and provides a "finished" inside surface, such as the V-berth flat. So I was looking for something like that in the anchor locker and didn't see it (on my boat anyway). It may exist on other 22's.

Sunbeam Hot

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished with the anchor-locker drain hole(s), so I thought I'd post a follow-up. Also, I see that the photos I had in my last post are no longer linked - I organized my album without realizing that would "break" the links to my photos... oops Embarassed At any rate, they are in my album in a sub-folder called anchor-locker drain if anyone would like to look at them.

So, after I figured out where the potential path was for water to get below the bottom of the anchor locker (through any existing gap between the tabbing and the hull side), I took a close look at both the original and the new holes for draining my anchor locker. I could see where the two different layers existed, but they looked tight and well bonded (that's not to say all the tabbing on my or any boat is like that everywhere, as slight gaps are not unusual; but the area right where the holes were drilled on my boat looked good). Still, the idea of water getting beneath the v-berth was so unappealing that I decided to make doubly sure.

To that end I prepped the holes and coated them with neat epoxy, then added thickened epoxy (colloidial silica), and shaped it for a smooth transition. I had originally planned to fill the upper (original) hole with thickened epoxy, but since it's also going to be hidden by the clamshell I decided that more drainage couldn't hurt. It could always be filled later if I change my mind. (If there had been an actual crack or gap between the tabbing and the hull side then I might have chosen to reinforce it with cloth as well.)

Here is how the holes look now. I tried to make enough notes to orient you, since by the time I zoomed in enough to really show it, there were not many orienting features left in the photo. Note that the new hole is still ever so slightly above the locker bottom; this is because on the outside I wanted to keep the clamshell solidly on a strake vs. partially hanging over a strake line.

Sunbeam Hot
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent diagnosis and repair!

The problems with the anchor locker drain leaking into the under-berth area and the stem band screws leaking was an intermittent one. These problems were most likely caused by inexperienced factory workers. The stem leak was traced to a worker using a drill bit without a stop. The anchor locker drain could have been as Sunbeam says; drilling the hole thru a tab that was not totally bonded.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: