RedFox's going-away party... ;]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothy

City/Region: Seward
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: lifting boxes Reply with quote

We had a crane lift ours on both ends of the trip. The guy in South Carolina lifted it and hauled it 40+ miles to the rail head for $600. I called a company here in Seward and the girl ball parked, picking it up and setting it down, at $300, that sounded good and from 5000 miles away getting a local to handel it was even better. The thing shows up and the price wound up in another ball park Shocked $1300 and some change. That was a fine welcome to Seward!

The big semi drop tail roll back trailers could unload it but the winches couldn't winch it up loaded. The crane keeps jostling to a minimum, and is ok if you get a hard and fast quote.

Exclamation Angoon So the Cat is out of the bag now! That is right on the way to most everywhere CoolSmile

Wade
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was getting my hair cut today and picked up a copy of Wallpaper magazine (a high-end foo-foo design mag) - what'd I see? A bunch of container "houses" outfitted by interior designers with multi-1000$ chairs etc... Didn't look like anything Mr. Red Fox would do Laughing . However, got me to wondering about how many projects had been built with containers. A google on (shipping container house) yeilded many interesting links to all kinds of houses/apts/buildings etc that had been made with shipping containers - some very nice - fun to look at - for many examples see http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm. Might give the fox some new ideas....

Roger on the SeaDNA

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to think 30 years ago an aquaintance of mine came up with the idea of using old shipping containers as the ready solution to low income housing in poor countries and drew up plans and built a working model with toilet, bedroom, and the whole 9 yards (a really fine home it made). Of course the idea was rejected and he was promptly drummed out of the government as a heartless lunatic by the PC police . . .
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolyCamoly!! (again Embarrased ) Xmas Eek Xmas LOL Thnx fer that link, now ya just confirmed ideas I had on the back-burner Idea Too Cool Thumbs Up Thats gotta be THE truest form of "recycling" there is... no need to waste energy melting-down steel there. So, whats up with the abundance of them anyway? I noticed some get retired at 15 years (like mine) and some get put out-to-pasture at a much younger life: 5 years Disgust (too banged-up I'm guessing, for the "younger ones") Next time I want me a nice shinny-new-purdy-one though Shocked grindin-off rust is sort of hard on an old-fellers back Crook Disgust

No: it's not "Angoon" though we still might consider that.... I wonder if they let "container peep" move in there Teeth

Flagold: Your friend was just way ahead of his time Thumbs Up the world is a crapy place for very smart 'peep at times Sad i remember hearing about how good it is for you to dwell in steel, rather than wood Idea sumpin ta-do with electrolysis i think. I know it's great for gardens Idea Rose Plants can't be wrong .. come on Thumbs Up Rainbow Mr. Green Cigar
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Ocean shipping containers must be recertified every 5 years to be shipped by ocean container ships. If the container is too beat up or there is no demand they are sold instead of being refurbished.

I bought a refurbished (repainted) and recertified 40ft at a used container price because the company decided to sell all containers older than 10 years.

The USA is a net importer of consumer stuff so more containers arrive in the US than are filled and shipped out. This means that surplus containers are stacking up at ports all over our country.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense to Exclamation Wink how you get so smart anyway Embarrased Wink Come to think about it; I saw a yard full of them things when we were in Wrangel, they were "for sale" Idea Also saw this gigantic garage made of stacks of them. To bad I didn't get a pic Shocked

OK, here's a little more "entertainment" for all you Can People out there (hehehe Very Happy )

http://www.msnusers.com/SoundDreams/crap.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=490
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK ... out with it Surprised Surprised here's the completion (I think Embarrased ) of the "can" hehehe Teeth

http://www.msnusers.com/SoundDreams/crap.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=491
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: