HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Coastal Explorer Navigation Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Coastal Explorer Navigation Software Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, can't answer your specific questions...but I used CE for navigating on the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River this past week (backup to Otter's Raymarine C435i), and provided it GPS data from my Garmin GPSMAP76 handheld - worked great, only issue was that my laptop screen was virtually unreadable in daylight, got to get some kind of 8" plug-in monitor that is daylight readable. Am looking at one from Hong Kong for about $200+ at an eBay Store, and would love to hear if anybody has anything like this or recommended brand / source.

Also, just got the upgrade notice via email, registered users can get a sort of super-beta or beta+ right now, or wait for the full release in July, so if anybody wants to buy at the lower price to get the upgrade free, it looks like they have to do it right now...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dogon dory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

You should be able to change the NOAA ENC charts to read in what ever depth markings you prefer.

I'm hoping I can still get in on the lower price later this week but I'll have to see. Sad

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am using the NOAA vector charts (plus a few Maptech raster charts that came with the waterproof chartbook kits for Puget Sound and the San Juans), plus the Canadian vector charts. You can set the readings however you want, but I do think there is probably some kind of bug...when we were in the Gulf Islands this past weekend, I originally had everything in knots, nautical miles, etc. - when I switched over to statute miles and miles per hour, the "Set speed of each leg" option of the Route Details window would not correctly retain the input speed - I would type in 15 mph, do something else, and when I would come back, it would read "1.508 mph" something equally nonsensical. I have not passed this on to Rose Point, going to wait for the new version and see if it is fixed.

BTW, I did get the Lilliput 8" touchscreen VGA monitor from Hong Kong off eBay, and it works great. I have it on the shelf in front of the throttle control, out of direct sunlight, and it is very easily readable. It is as represented and came fairly quickly - seems like a good match for a laptop and Coastal Explorer if you can't put the whole laptop in a place where it is easy to see the screen.

Right you are on using the laptop as a DVD player! We have a pretty good collection (I'm taking the Fifth on how it was acquired!) and enjoy watching our favorite flicks - current fav onboard is Shawshank Redemption, other favs are Fargo and the Scarlet Pimpernel!

dogon dory wrote:
Pat,
Are you using the NOAA vector charts? If so, are they reading in fathoms, feet, or meters? I have CE set up for fathoms, knots, nautical miles, but the charts appear to be reading in meters (based on roughly three to one ration between fishfinder reading in feet and indicated chart depth). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if there is a software bug, or if there is something unique about the vector charts that won't convert. What has your experience been?

Aside from that, I am pleased as punch with using the CE/laptop. The screen is a bit tough to read in bright sunlight but is still usable. Plus in those conditions is when it is least necessary.

When I got the software I had no intentions of abandoning my paper charts. As it turns out I haven't but I am refering to them very infrequently and then typically only the small scale chart that covers the entire PWS. I have also continued to carry my handheld GPS mounted in a bracket in front of the helm. I made sure and (manually) synchronized waypoints between handheld and CE for the first couple of routes that I set up. As it turns out, I have not even turned the handheld on.

A side benefit of having the laptop aboard is that it makes for a great DVD player in the evenings!
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I'll have to come by and take a gander at the screen. That is the one I have been thinking of using.
dogon dory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. It is not as sharp as you might like, so probably won't be writing the Great American Novel with it, but for viewing chartes, it is great.

gljjr wrote:
Pat,

I'll have to come by and take a gander at the screen. That is the one I have been thinking of using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: