The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I'd like to understand why Ultima bilge pump should be level
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady wrote:
Sunbeam, a much better solution but seriously more expensive than a bilge pump.

Just a tad Wink

That said, it wouldn't be instead of getting a bilge pump, but rather instead of moving the bilge sump (which is a bit more work).

'course the real reason is because I already want them Cool

Realistically, since my boat came with a nearly new bimini, I'll probably go for a tonneau and/or a full boat cover before a camperback.

Sunbeam Hot

PS: It's the same reason I "can't" get new engines: the darned boat came with too nice a pair of engines to be able to "justify" replacing them. (Not that these are real problems, mind you; I'm mostly just kidding.)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good canvas shop can utilize the Bimini you have for the and rear curtains for the Camper back. I have had this done and it came out very nicely.

The full cover is not all that expensive from Angolia Canvas, Indiana.

We have not used the slant back tonneau much, unless we didn't have a full boat cover. Although some have used it when trailering, we have not.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam, Bob is right - most Stingrays come with what the dealer called a convertible top. It can be used as either a bimini(high/low) or it has 4 pieces(front, back, 2 sides) which are zippered in to make a full camper top.

Just an option to concider.

Regards, Rob

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts on the canvas. As I travel I'm keeping my eye/ear out for a good canvas shop (I'm particular), and when I find one....

One thing on my bimini: Although to my eye the canvaswork and detail/features look well thought out and well sewn, the framework is aluminum and the forks that are attached to the boat are plastic. So I'm not sure how much more weight/stress I can put on it (i.e. the windage and weight of a camperback/sides). That said, I imagine it's possible to make a stainless frame to match the aluminum one (?), and I have taken note of those nice, quick-release stainless fittings the good canvas shops have put on your gunwales.

First I have to finish getting the core sealed up (doing the motorwell drain today and tomorrow - gotta love those brass tubes...). Oh, and the bilge pump mounted Very Happy

Thanks again,
Sunbeam Hot:
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a good shop can also make a SS frame, but that will cost fair amount. You can replace the plastic fittings with SS, but what size is the aluminum tubing? I prefer 1", but many are 7/8 or even 3/4.

If it is an aluminum frame with plastic fittings, it may be from a catalogue, rather than a canvas maker.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is from a canvas shop - I say that because their label is sewn in, and it's a shop local to the original C-Dory dealer. They also made inside window coverings, screens for the opening front window and v-berth hatch, and a zippered/screened panel for the cabin door. And I'm very happy to have them.

On the bimini.... yeah...I'm probably just going to use it as-is for now, as it's like new and certainly functional (and there are plenty of other boat goodies clamoring for my wallet). I may just make one side panel that I can move around from side to side as needed. My guess is that between the frame and etc. that if I ever want a camper back it might be better just to start from scratch, but I'd certainly show what I have to any canvas maker before starting anything.

Probably first on the canvas list is a cover and/or tonneau for traveling/storage. Not sure if I'm going to order one from Angola or go another way (I did find some informative threads here, as usual).
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, "being particular" when looking for a canvass shop is "being prudent" in my book. If your spending 3 grand(or whatever) on a camper top - a few hundred bucks more or less may not be a bargain. Over the life of a camper top, quality materials and workmanship will make your life on the water a lot more pleasant.

Don't ask me how I know these things. Rolling Eyes

Regards, Rob
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Rob Thumbs Up

It helps to balance out the inevitable "But gee, you're so picky!" Very Happy

Sunbeam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: