View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

I wanted to have a LED lamp for anchoring and found a very good price on one at West Marine but it would not fit inside the lens on my boat.
So I cut the old lens in half and glued the pieces to the body from a plastic salt grinder and I now have a nice lens that fits.
I did make it a little too tall but I could change that if it bothers me too much.
I can not figure out how to post a picture here so the picture is in my album if you are interested.
Jerry
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the photo...

A sodium free anchor light solution! Nice!
Jamesdiaz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

jerry97230 wrote:
I wanted to have a LED lamp for anchoring and found a very good price on one at West Marine but it would not fit inside the lens on my boat.
So I cut the old lens in half and glued the pieces to the body from a plastic salt grinder and I now have a nice lens that fits.
I did make it a little too tall but I could change that if it bothers me too much.
I can not figure out how to post a picture here so the picture is in my album if you are interested.
Jerry

You have done a nice job and great choice with led lights
Jamesdiaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

Jamesdiaz wrote:
jerry97230 wrote:
I wanted to have a led bulb lamp for anchoring and found a very good price on one at West Marine but it would not fit inside the lens on my boat.

Jerry

You have done a nice job and great choice with led lights

Do you have more lights?
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

I have purchased various LED bulbs for both the boat and the travel trailer from Superbright LED ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/ ) and all seem to work very well. Also, their technician's are very helpful in choosing the correct bulb for your application.)

Superbright offer's an amazing array of bulbs for virtually all types of plugs (pins, spades, sockets, etc.) so you can probably find what you need without having to modify a lens, etc.

Suggstion: When buying a bulb, specify the "warm" colored light not the "white" light. To me, the "white" light is almost bluish and seems rather unnatural and 'cold.

Best,
Casey&Mary

jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this light at West Marine. My store had several, so you might check with your local store, it seems that they will not fit most anchor light lenses so they were not a good seller.
I will second Superbright as the go to place for led lites. I have bought from other places and got screwed, but Superbright lights work very well.
Jerry
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

jerry97230 wrote:
Jerry

Is it visible the requisite 2 k miles? Might want to check, in case.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually these bulbs exceed the CG requirement--I have checked them out both by luminosity with a meter and the actual distance.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Actually these bulbs exceed the CG requirement--I have checked them out both by luminosity with a meter and the actual distance.

Great data - thanks for posting it Thumbs Up

Side note: I know some folks who have one of the LED anchor lights from Bebi and in one anchorage they actually had some CG people ask them what kind of anchor light they were using as it was so bright and visible. That's not hard data like you relate above (and which I really like), but it's fun anecdotal data.

I was thinking I would buy a Bebi light, but as it turned out I got a new Perko base for my stock C-Dory light and then decided to get a Dr. LED bulb for it based on Sam's (Retriever) showing it as an exact/easy fit. I haven't tried it out yet though.

Sunbeam Hot

*Bebi is a small company started by some cruisers who settled in Fiji who make and sell LED lights from there - good people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: