View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Video-dry pass, Southeast Alaska 2012 Reply with quote

This video is of us going from the open Gulf of Alaska through dry pass located in the designated wilderness area of Chichagof Island, Southeast Alaska. We had been through this pass once before in 2007 at about 4 AM with very little light & fog into much rougher water than in this video. What made this passage somewhat more difficult this time was it being very early in the year with us most likely the first boat through, so the pass was filled with kelp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_apRePMV5JA

Jay

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Got more?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, no more short videos edited at the present. You tube now allows 15 minute video up loads, so will edit some more out of the 7 hours of video I have on the computer. It does take time though. 3 hours alone just to up load a 10 min video, let alone the editing & rendering time involved to make a Internet video. I spent the last couple of weeks making my own High Definition BLue Ray DVD's of last summers cruise. It takes about 20 GB of data for a 1.5 hour video, but on a big screen tv it looks awesome. I'm always disappointed in how the You tube video looks. It's supposed to be MP4 quality video which is designed for internet streaming & does look decent when made to a blue ray disc, but still no comparison to the MP2 rendering for the blue ray disc I use for home on the Sony Play station connected to a big screen TV.

Jay
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Video-dry pass, Southeast Alaska 2012 Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
This video is of us going from the open Gulf of Alaska through dry pass located in the designated wilderness area of Chichagof Island, Southeast Alaska. We had been through this pass once before in 2007 at about 4 AM with very little light & fog into much rougher water than in this video. What made this passage somewhat more difficult this time was it being very early in the year with us most likely the first boat through, so the pass was filled with kelp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_apRePMV5JA

Jay

Very nice Jay.. We often get in discussions about the need for twins. I would say going through a dry pass at high tide is a great time to have twins on the boat, especially with ell grass and kelp issues like you encountered.

You sure have a ton of electronics on the boat. I counted 5 different screens. Love it. I'm a gadget nut as well. I toured the Broughtons this summer and was glad I had everything on board. Many times the fog was so thick I couldn't see two boat links. Smile

Thanks for sharing your trip Jay. Keep them coming. Thumbs Up

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Video-dry pass, Southeast Alaska 2012 Reply with quote

Jay, thanks for the time and effort you put in to make and post the video(s). I don't know if it would be any better, but I watch some other folks' videos on Vimeo, and they're pretty high-quality/resolution. Maybe that would be better?

hambone wrote:
We often get in discussions about the need for twins. I would say going through a dry pass at high tide is a great time to have twins on the boat...

Or perhaps just two working engines? I think a lot of us do have two engines; they just don't happen to be "twinned."

Sunbeam
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Video-dry pass, Southeast Alaska 2012 Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Jay, thanks for the time and effort you put in to make and post the video(s). I don't know if it would be any better, but I watch some other folks' videos on Vimeo, and they're pretty high-quality/resolution. Maybe that would be better?

hambone wrote:
We often get in discussions about the need for twins. I would say going through a dry pass at high tide is a great time to have twins on the boat...

Or perhaps just two working engines? I think a lot of us do have two engines; they just don't happen to be "twinned."

Sunbeam

A 90 and 6 or 8 may not get you through there like two 50's might (if the big one quits). Just sayin'.... BTDT.. Wink
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Video-dry pass, Southeast Alaska 2012 Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:

hambone wrote:

Sunbeam

A 90 and 6 or 8 may not get you through there like two 50's might (if the big one quits). Just sayin'.... BTDT.. Wink

I know we all buy what we feel is the best for us and there is no right or wrong, but spending a life time on the water, for me I don't even go on the water with someone else unless they have twins. To many BTDT things that really scared me, and I don't scare easlly. JMHO...... Thumbs Up
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, that was interesting! You need some more hands to work all of the controls, electronics and the camera! Laughing
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME VIDEO! I am a new Cruiser owner who looks forward to adventures like this in the Pacific Northwest. Hey brats, lets keep these videos coming. It informs everyone (like the chartplotting ipad) about our boats capabilities and helps boaters get through the long cold winter.

Grazer
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, In the past, I used Mydea as a video host for my Internet videos. At that time their video was a much higher grade than YouTube. Switched back to YouTube when their quality improved & the cost zero, compared to Mydea at $100 a year for 250 minutes. Vimeo is a viable alternative, but not for me due to my working with a Sony Camera which uses the AVCHD video format requiring the Sony Vegas Editing Software which directly links with YouTube & converts well to MP2 which is hard to beat for high quality blue ray viewing on TV.

Mike, I agree in confined areas with rocks about & surging water from tide & wave mixed with kelp, the twins with that extra power if one motor does go down is an advantage in my opinion. Twins or single with kicker that can be quickly put into use to adequately control the boat in these kind of situations is much preferred to me than a single alone.

Yes I do have an abundance of electronic charts & the funny thing is in some of the remote locations, I've have had all three GPS,s show me in different locations with none of them being correct, thus making it imperative in making these passages to have your visual references overrule at times the electronic indicators.

All, thanks for the comments.

Jay
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
Thank you for the video, which was very enjoyable.

Joe,
Actually, when Jay mentioned the presence of kelp, my thought was that a kicker would be more of an asset in that situation, because if properly installed it can operate at a very shallow angle in the shallow water mode. I have been stuck in gunkholes in the past in which the main engine could not be operated, but the kicker got us out. In those situations, four main engines on the stern would not have gotten us out -- only a kicker as I described.

rich

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Vimeo is a viable alternative, but not for me due to my working with a Sony Camera which uses the AVCHD video format requiring the Sony Vegas Editing Software

Ah, I see. I've watched videos on Vimeo and YouTube, but I don't know much about the production end (I'd like to start learning though). It does sound like there would be a bit of a learning curve - starting with choosing formats and software. Whew!
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jay keep them coming.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: